2/3 Orijen and 1/3 chicken meal raw per day? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Question 2/3 Orijen and 1/3 chicken meal raw per day?

Hey there,

I plan on switching my pup from an all Orijen diet to 2/3 orijen 1/3 raw per day. The chicken meal raw specifically prepared for dogs will be mainly used in training as commercial treats even dehydrated ones are not that interesting to her, and the leftover from training will be fed at night. The regular Orijen meals are fed morning and late afternoon. Is that a good idea? Will it cause imbalance and such? Also, my trainer advices giving puppy frozen bones to chew on? Is that a good idea at all? I am worried about damaging my pup's teeth.

Also, the provider told me her products can last 2 month in freezer? Is that reliable and healthy?

Thanks a ton,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Banned

I am thinking the same thing actually, I heard many good things about raw but my vet is against it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Also should I feed 1/3 of 10% her current weight or 1/3 of 2% of her expected adult weight? She is 10lb and she is expected to be 70-80lb...there is a big difference. Also, is it safe to give her beef necks at 8 weeks?

Last edited by lonecat; 12-10-2016 at 12:50 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecat View Post
Also, the provider told me her products can last 2 month in freezer? Is that reliable and healthy?

If the PROVIDER'S raw food is not listed as: "this diet meets the AAFCO standard for complete and balanced nutrition for ALL life stages" do NOT use it. It could damage your puppy.

If you want to use a partial raw diet, purchase foods that carry the above seal.
Primal: Complete Raw Diets for Pets: Canine Beef Formula Find a store: Primal Pet Foods: Store Locator

Bravo: Discover Balance Raw Diet | Beef Frozen Raw Dog Food Diet - Bravo Pet Food Find a store: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food

Northwest Naturals: Beef ? Northwest Naturals Find a store: Store Locator

CALCULATOR: Feeding Calculator to give you an idea of how much you would feed per day: Feeding, Transition and Safety for Raw Dog Food Diets

Here is my recipe for homemade treats that your dog will go crazy for!

Items needed:
Non Stick Fry Pan
Round Steak, or Pork Chops, or Lamb or Calf Liver
Scissors

1. Trim off all fat on the edges and in-between and if it has a round bone in it, remove that too.
2. Take a pair of scissors (outstanding tool for cutting meat) and cut the steak into manageable squares or rectangles.
3. Choose a fry pan (non stick works the easiest) that will hold the amount of steak you bought, and give the pan a small drop of oil or a quick spray of Pam.
4. Heat the pan until really hot and drop in the steak pieces in to sizzle. Keep your heat high but don’t leave the pan unattended.
5. Sprinkle on a little garlic powder or garlic salt.
6. Let it sizzle for about a minute or two then flip over. Braise the other side (pour off the juice if there is too much) and remove from pan when the middle is pink. Place on to paper towel, blot and let cool.
7. Take your scissors and cut all of the meat in strips about ¼” wide. Now take those strips and cut small pieces about the size of a ½ of a dime, (or whatever size you prefer).
8. Place small amounts into sealable snack baggies, then place those baggies into a sealable freezer baggie and place in freezer. On the day you are going to training, take out one or two baggies, place them in the frig and they will be unthawed by the time you are ready for class that evening. Of course the dogs love them frozen too, if you forget! They will unthaw quickly in your pocket.

For calf liver, after it is unfrozen, soak up the excess blood with paper towel, and proceed starting with #3 as above (you won’t have to cut this first). Only braise the liver long enough on both sides (don’t thoroughly cook it) as it only needs to be cooked to a “medium” range, otherwise it will get crumbly. Drain the liquid during cooking if needed.
The process takes a little time but saves a lot of $$ !

Good Luck with your pup!
Moms
Pan_GSD likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:56 PM

what do you think about BOILING liver and using it as a topping on kibble?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan_GSD View Post
what do you think about BOILING liver and using it as a topping on kibble?
When feeding kibble, liver would be fine as a topping in small quantities maybe once a week.
Why? A few reasons:
Liver is high in copper.
Liver is high in phosphorus so it must be carefully fed to puppies.
Liver is not recommended for a dog with stones.

Your kibble will contain the correct “Balanced” vitamins and minerals, so there isn’t a need to add an abundance of the concentrated A, B, Iron, Phosphorus and Copper that is in liver, except for a treat.

Liver is a “filtering” organ, so use Calf’s Liver instead of “Beef Liver” because it is harvested from young cows. Calves’ have not had as much exposure to toxins as an old cow has.

Topping's of ground meat (low fat) would be a better choice IMO.

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 12-11-2016 at 09:15 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
When feeding kibble, liver would be fine as a topping in small quantities maybe once a week.
Why? A few reasons:
Liver is high in copper.
Liver is high in phosphorus so it must be carefully fed to puppies.
Liver is not recommended for a dog with stones.

Your kibble will contain the correct “Balanced” vitamins and minerals, so there isn’t a need to add an abundance of the concentrated A, B, Iron, Phosphorus and Copper that is in liver, except for a treat.

Liver is a “filtering” organ, so use Calf’s Liver instead of “Beef Liver” because it is harvested from young cows. Calves’ have not had as much exposure to toxins as an old cow has.

Topping's of ground meat (low fat) would be a better choice IMO.

Moms
yea i was aware that liver and hearts and such should be fed sparingly due to high phosphorus content
but would boiling the liver in high heat destroy any beneficial contents in the liver?
would it still be worth the bother?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

simplify life

you are already feeding orijen -- seems to be your dog's dietary staple.

are you decreasing the amount to 2/3 to accommodate 1/3 "other" and maintain
calories ?

feed just a little bit less ---- training with food , treats isn't meant to feed the dog
along the way - just an incentive to create and to mark desirable behaviour

dried salmon skins are very effective . You can buy them already dried . Take a scissor and
cut the size of a chicklet chewing gum. Keep in little treat pouch . You don't need to worry about
spoilage.

treats should be phased out to intermittent and then rare/surprise .

Carmen

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan_GSD View Post
yea i was aware that liver and hearts and such should be fed sparingly due to high phosphorus content
but would boiling the liver in high heat destroy any beneficial contents in the liver?
would it still be worth the bother?
Pre Frozen Calf's Liver: If you are going to use it sparingly as a topping on your kibble for your pup, I'd serve it raw.

Here is the Mineral comparison of Raw vs Braised: Effects of Cooking on Mineral Levels Compared to Raw Foods

Here is the Vitamin comparison of Raw vs Braised (scroll down for the 2nd additional table): Comparison of Vitamin Levels in Raw Foods vs. Cooked Foods

Hope that helps!
Moms
Pan_GSD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page