German Shepherds Forum banner

I want to start a raw diet for my gsd, but I need more info

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  AndrewGarf 
#1 ·
My male gsd is 10-1/2 months old. I've been feeding him blue wilderness puppy food since he was 9 weeks old. Every so often we feed him raw fish and he goes crazy for it. Lately he hasn't been paying much attention to his dog food, and when he eats it, its basically forced because you can tell her does not enjoy it. My question is, is it okay to feed him raw foods daily? and if so, how often should he eat, and what type of meats? (This is all very new to me so I want to make sure he grows up as healthy and strong as possible)

I would appreciate any opinions! Thanks :)

#3 ·
I recommend this book as an excellent introduction to Raw Feeding. It was the book that got me started on 100% Raw.
https://www.amazon.ca/Give-Your-Dog-Bone-Commonsense/dp/0646160281

As you do research, you'll come across different schools of raw feeding, that will cause a lot of confusion. My advice is read as much as you can, and use what is the most common sense to you.

Here is a good introduction:
Raw Fed Dogs - Natural Prey Model Rawfeeding Diet

For a GSD, you'll be feeding aproximately 2 lbs of raw food a day. Depending on your dog, it might be more, or less. When Gryffon was younger, he easily got 3 lbs or more a day, and stayed slim. Now that he is older I have had to decrease that amount to keep him in good shape. Experience and observation will tell you how much to feed.

Some people like to calculate everything to the gram - I've never weighed anything I've fed, only eye-balled amounts. Don't get overwhelmed and do what you feel more comfortable with.

#5 ·
Thank you, both of you! It is pretty confusing because I've read many many different things like you should incorporate raw eggs which I don't think is safe but I wouldn't know for sure. Also, I've read about feeding him yogurts, veggies and fruits along with his meat.

How would you guys advise on the transition? Should I start right away or slowly to see if it will sit right in his stomach? I've never fed him raw meat or chicken. So far the only raw he's used to is raw fish which seems like the safest one to me because we catch it ourselves so I am 100% it is fresh caught the same day.

#6 ·
The transition to raw food should be taken slowly. Changing your dog's diet too quickly can result in diarrhea. The way dogs process raw foods is different.

In the beginning of the transition, I would recommend starting giving the new food as a treat for a day. You should closely observe the condition of the stool.

If the stool remains normal, increase the number of the new food treats and replace one whole meal of old food with new food. Keep doing this for several more days, if the stool remains normal, and your dog is healthy, we can safely assume it's safe to discontinue the old food and feed only the new food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.