German Shepherds Forum banner

Extreme Diareaha

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Magwart 
#1 ·
(Will never spell that right)
We've had a 7 week old for almost a week now and his poop has been worsening. It is no longer even logs, just a puddle. This is the worst I've ever seen on anyone. When he goes, the poop litterly goes up as if it was a fountain. We changed his food from what the breeder gave him, but he would not eat, so we changed it again, and the poop has been consistently worsening. Please help.
Raquan

#2 ·
I'm struggling with issues with my dog as well so I am NO expert lol but... when you have been changing his food, are you doing it drastically / all of a sudden? I'm guessing so if you've only had him for a week. The proper way to change a dog's kibble is to transition them from the old to the new over the course of a few days to a week. Adding a little of the new with most of the old. For example if you are feeding 1 cup 3 times a day, I would feed 3/4 cup of the old and 1/4 cup of the new for each meal for a day or two, then transition to half and half, and so on until you are feeding all of the new.

I'm sure plenty of other members that have more experience and are more knowledgeable then me will chime in, but have you taken your dog to the vet yet? Bring them a stool sample so they can test for parasites/worms. This is normal protocol for a puppy regardless the condition of the stool.

#9 ·
Trust your gut.......if he doesn't look well......get him to the vet!

IF all is ok you can try this bland diet (see below) for several days then introduce the kibble very VERY slowly. I think his gut is in distress from changing to quickly and from the fact he is in a new environment with new owners.

Bland Diet:
To help get the diarrhea under control, you shoul withhold food for 12 hours (for Puppies) or 24 hours for adults. Then begin the bland diet.

Purchase ground chuck or ground round steak (lower fat beef). Also purchase regular, long cooking white rice.

Boil Beef and rinse off grease....Thoroughly. Dog's cannot digest cooked fat and the fat can also cause diarrhea.

White Rice (not instant): make with about 2 times the amount of water suggested. The cook time will take almost twice as long but will make the rice super digestible. Adjust stove heat towards the end of cooking time (as the water is being absorbed) so as not to burn.

Ratio mix should be 2 cups rice to 1 cup beef.

If diarrhea is bad, feedings should be divided into about 3 to 4 smaller feedings per day.
Adjust amount fed per day for your size dog.

Always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with the bland diet mix.
Try about 1/8th cup of new food for morning feeding only, and watch bowel movement. If no problem for a day or two add 1/8th cup of new food to night feeding. Increase amount as you see fit, watching stool carefully.

If stool get loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his/her gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Moms:)

#10 ·
Vet now. Giardia and coccidia are actually not worms and need to be specifically looked for and treated (though what we use for Giardia often works on other parasites).

Reactions: Mudypoz
#11 ·
also, add some canned pumpkin to his food (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix!). It's a miracle worker that helps digestion. Helps solidify when things get runny, and helps soften when things get too hard.

Definitely get him to the vet. And don't let them prescribe an antibiotic until they test the stool sample. Unfortunately, when my pup had diarrhea most of this first 4 months with me, I took him to the vet a couple of times for it, and they gave me antibiotics, instead of finding the real issue (allergies).

#13 ·
get the pup to the vet asap .

your young dog could have serious electrolyte disturbance from dehydration which could kill him.

if the dog has giardia you are doing no one a favour , and putting yourself at risk because giardia is zoonotic .

your pup may have a serious reaction to a vaccine .

your pup may have been home-treated for worms with an over the counter wormer that was over dosed stripping the mucosal lining , damaging the instestines

your pup may have organic damage , eaten a toxic substance, have the beginnings of serious parvo virus

the dog absolutely needs to get to the vet now

#14 ·
Please see a vet, I'm not sure where you live, but last year we had an outbreak of parvo virus. Because your puppy is so young, make sure he doesn't touch any surfaces, carry him in, or better yet, have the vet come out to your car to do an exam and possible tests. If you can't do that, be extremely careful what he comes into contact with, but he needs a vet, IMHO.

#15 ·
Definitely get to a vet. Some diarrhea is expected in puppies as they adjust to a new house, food changes, etc. But this sounds serious so please see a vet asap.

#17 · (Edited)
Hookworms are nasty, and I've known them kill young puppies in shelters that didn't treat them, so it's very good that you caught them.

Unfortunately, hookworm larvae live in soil. If you left any of the pup's feces in the yard this week, everywhere he pooped in the yard should be assumed to be contaminated. The eggs fall into the soil from the poop and quickly mature into larvae within 2-9 days. Then the larvae wait for a host -- they penetrate the skin of bare feet to enter the next host. That could be your puppy again, or you, or children in your home. Winter freezes will kill the larvae, eventually.

Even after you've cleaned the yard, you cannot walk barefoot in the yard where he left feces, for the foreseeable future -- hookworms are zoonotic (meaning they infect people too). If you have young kids, convincing them they aren't allowed to go into a yard barefoot is a chore, but it's very important if you've had a dog with hookworms pooping in that yard.

After treatment, talk with your vet about keeping him on a monthly hookworm preventative for a while -- at least through the winter -- to avoid reinfection. Bag his poop until you get a clear fecal test -- and wear disposable gloves! (Remember, hookworm larvae are microscopic and penetrate skin...)

Your monthly HW prevention MAY cover hookworms, depending which one you choose. My recollection is that Advantage Multi can be started at 9 weeks, and it covers hooks--but check with your vet. There may be other options. They all require a prescription -- your vet can go over your range of choices when you talk about HW prevention. My experience is that once a dog is clear of worms, if they are on Advantage Multi, they don't get reinfected.

CDC - Hookworm - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

#20 ·
No, it can just be a pain to get rid of. Sometimes takes multiple treatments with 2 different drugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.