Extreme Diareaha - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Extreme Diareaha

(Will never spell that right)
We've had a 7 week old for almost a week now and his poop has been worsening. It is no longer even logs, just a puddle. This is the worst I've ever seen on anyone. When he goes, the poop litterly goes up as if it was a fountain. We changed his food from what the breeder gave him, but he would not eat, so we changed it again, and the poop has been consistently worsening. Please help.
Raquan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:59 PM

I'm struggling with issues with my dog as well so I am NO expert lol but... when you have been changing his food, are you doing it drastically / all of a sudden? I'm guessing so if you've only had him for a week. The proper way to change a dog's kibble is to transition them from the old to the new over the course of a few days to a week. Adding a little of the new with most of the old. For example if you are feeding 1 cup 3 times a day, I would feed 3/4 cup of the old and 1/4 cup of the new for each meal for a day or two, then transition to half and half, and so on until you are feeding all of the new.

I'm sure plenty of other members that have more experience and are more knowledgeable then me will chime in, but have you taken your dog to the vet yet? Bring them a stool sample so they can test for parasites/worms. This is normal protocol for a puppy regardless the condition of the stool.
Gretchen and Mudypoz like this.

Sage - Sable GSD - DOB: 8/20/15
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:07 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Take him to the vet. Bring a stool sample. Have them check for parasites (giardia comes to mind).
Mudypoz likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyhernz View Post
I'm struggling with issues with my dog as well so I am NO expert lol but... when you have been changing his food, are you doing it drastically / all of a sudden? I'm guessing so if you've only had him for a week. The proper way to change a dog's kibble is to transition them from the old to the new over the course of a few days to a week. Adding a little of the new with most of the old. For example if you are feeding 1 cup 3 times a day, I would feed 3/4 cup of the old and 1/4 cup of the new for each meal for a day or two, then transition to half and half, and so on until you are feeding all of the new.

I'm sure plenty of other members that have more experience and are more knowledgeable then me will chime in, but have you taken your dog to the vet yet? Bring them a stool sample so they can test for parasites/worms. This is normal protocol for a puppy regardless the condition of the stool.
I have not taken him to the vet yet but the breeder informed mere had already been cleared from worms
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquan View Post
I have not taken him to the vet yet but the breeder informed mere had already been cleared from worms
Worms and other parasites don't always require the same treatment. I would want the puppy checked for giardia and coccidia, if he were mine.
CelticGlory and Mudypoz like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
That doesn't mean he's immune to them. I would bring in a stool sample for the vet whenever he is due for his next set of shots which should be soon.

Sage - Sable GSD - DOB: 8/20/15
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyhernz View Post
Quote:
That doesn't mean he's immune to them. I would bring in a stool sample for the vet whenever he is due for his next set of shots which should be soon.
I will do that, but I'm concerned about what to do now, he doesn't look very well health wise
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:32 PM

If he does not look well, don't wait. Take him to the vet.
Mudypoz and Jen H like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

Trust your gut.......if he doesn't look well......get him to the vet!

IF all is ok you can try this bland diet (see below) for several days then introduce the kibble very VERY slowly. I think his gut is in distress from changing to quickly and from the fact he is in a new environment with new owners.

Bland Diet:
To help get the diarrhea under control, you shoul withhold food for 12 hours (for Puppies) or 24 hours for adults. Then begin the bland diet.

Purchase ground chuck or ground round steak (lower fat beef). Also purchase regular, long cooking white rice.

Boil Beef and rinse off grease....Thoroughly. Dog's cannot digest cooked fat and the fat can also cause diarrhea.

White Rice (not instant): make with about 2 times the amount of water suggested. The cook time will take almost twice as long but will make the rice super digestible. Adjust stove heat towards the end of cooking time (as the water is being absorbed) so as not to burn.

Ratio mix should be 2 cups rice to 1 cup beef.

If diarrhea is bad, feedings should be divided into about 3 to 4 smaller feedings per day.
Adjust amount fed per day for your size dog.

Always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with the bland diet mix.
Try about 1/8th cup of new food for morning feeding only, and watch bowel movement. If no problem for a day or two add 1/8th cup of new food to night feeding. Increase amount as you see fit, watching stool carefully.

If stool get loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his/her gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Moms
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Vet now. Giardia and coccidia are actually not worms and need to be specifically looked for and treated (though what we use for Giardia often works on other parasites).
Mudypoz likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) BH AD B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page