Extreme Diareaha - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:27 PM

also, add some canned pumpkin to his food (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix!). It's a miracle worker that helps digestion. Helps solidify when things get runny, and helps soften when things get too hard.

Definitely get him to the vet. And don't let them prescribe an antibiotic until they test the stool sample. Unfortunately, when my pup had diarrhea most of this first 4 months with me, I took him to the vet a couple of times for it, and they gave me antibiotics, instead of finding the real issue (allergies).

Follow Baymax at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Knighted Member

Although your pup may only have diarrhea from the abrupt food changes, he has a great risk for dehydration being so young. Take him to the vet.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Crowned Member

get the pup to the vet asap .

your young dog could have serious electrolyte disturbance from dehydration which could kill him.

if the dog has giardia you are doing no one a favour , and putting yourself at risk because giardia is zoonotic .

your pup may have a serious reaction to a vaccine .

your pup may have been home-treated for worms with an over the counter wormer that was over dosed stripping the mucosal lining , damaging the instestines

your pup may have organic damage , eaten a toxic substance, have the beginnings of serious parvo virus

the dog absolutely needs to get to the vet now
Mudypoz, LittleBear and K9KOA like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:50 PM

Please see a vet, I'm not sure where you live, but last year we had an outbreak of parvo virus. Because your puppy is so young, make sure he doesn't touch any surfaces, carry him in, or better yet, have the vet come out to your car to do an exam and possible tests. If you can't do that, be extremely careful what he comes into contact with, but he needs a vet, IMHO.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:47 PM

Definitely get to a vet. Some diarrhea is expected in puppies as they adjust to a new house, food changes, etc. But this sounds serious so please see a vet asap.

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

******UPDATE*******
We took him to the vet, and he has hookworms. He is on a bland diet and the vet refused to give vaccines until he is sick. He also gave us a liquid medicine. This hookworm situation is really bothering me.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:51 AM
Knighted Member

Hookworms are nasty, and I've known them kill young puppies in shelters that didn't treat them, so it's very good that you caught them.

Unfortunately, hookworm larvae live in soil. If you left any of the pup's feces in the yard this week, everywhere he pooped in the yard should be assumed to be contaminated. The eggs fall into the soil from the poop and quickly mature into larvae within 2-9 days. Then the larvae wait for a host -- they penetrate the skin of bare feet to enter the next host. That could be your puppy again, or you, or children in your home. Winter freezes will kill the larvae, eventually.

Even after you've cleaned the yard, you cannot walk barefoot in the yard where he left feces, for the foreseeable future -- hookworms are zoonotic (meaning they infect people too). If you have young kids, convincing them they aren't allowed to go into a yard barefoot is a chore, but it's very important if you've had a dog with hookworms pooping in that yard.

After treatment, talk with your vet about keeping him on a monthly hookworm preventative for a while -- at least through the winter -- to avoid reinfection. Bag his poop until you get a clear fecal test -- and wear disposable gloves! (Remember, hookworm larvae are microscopic and penetrate skin...)

Your monthly HW prevention MAY cover hookworms, depending which one you choose. My recollection is that Advantage Multi can be started at 9 weeks, and it covers hooks--but check with your vet. There may be other options. They all require a prescription -- your vet can go over your range of choices when you talk about HW prevention. My experience is that once a dog is clear of worms, if they are on Advantage Multi, they don't get reinfected.

CDC - Hookworm - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Last edited by Magwart; 08-27-2016 at 12:55 AM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Hookworms are nasty, and I've known them kill young puppies in shelters that didn't treat them, so it's very good that you caught them.

Unfortunately, hookworm larvae live in soil. If you left any of the pup's feces in the yard this week, everywhere he pooped in the yard should be assumed to be contaminated. The eggs fall into the soil from the poop and quickly mature into larvae within 2-9 days. Then the larvae wait for a host -- they penetrate the skin of bare feet to enter the next host. That could be your puppy again, or you, or children in your home. Winter freezes will kill the larvae, eventually.

Even after you've cleaned the yard, you cannot walk barefoot in the yard where he left feces, for the foreseeable future -- hookworms are zoonotic (meaning they infect people too). If you have young kids, convincing them they aren't allowed to go into a yard barefoot is a chore, but it's very important if you've had a dog with hookworms pooping in that yard.

After treatment, talk with your vet about keeping him on a monthly hookworm preventative for a while -- at least through the winter -- to avoid reinfection. Bag his poop until you get a clear fecal test -- and wear disposable gloves! (Remember, hookworm larvae are microscopic and penetrate skin...)

Your monthly HW prevention MAY cover hookworms, depending which one you choose. My recollection is that Advantage Multi can be started at 9 weeks, and it covers hooks--but check with your vet. There may be other options. They all require a prescription -- your vet can go over your range of choices when you talk about HW prevention. My experience is that once a dog is clear of worms, if they are on Advantage Multi, they don't get reinfected.

CDC - Hookworm - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yikes, I leave all his feces in my yard to encourage him to go again there, and the grass is very long and difficult to clean.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

ANOTHER UPDATE
He also has gairdia and something else I can't remember. we haven't picked up be medicine yet. Is gairdia serious??
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

No, it can just be a pain to get rid of. Sometimes takes multiple treatments with 2 different drugs.

Lisa Clark

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) BH AD B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page