Starting raw diet today. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Starting raw diet today.

Just wanted to start a thread to track my progress a bit. I started out with 2 bags of 10 lbs chicken quarters. My girl is approximately 55 lbs at almost 8 months, so I'm going to feed her 12 ounces twice a day for 1.5 lbs a day for 2 weeks before I start introducing Organ/muscle meat.

Should be interesting to see if there is a change, I don't really think I'll have trouble getting her to eat.

Should she become less constantly hungry? Right now she eats 4 cups a day of kibble and is constantly foraging like she's an anteater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:01 PM

Just wanted to wish you well with this. I think you are going to see some really great changes.

As far as being always hungry, it could be because she is a growing puppy experiencing growth spurts.

With my boy, especially dinner, he acts more satisfied after a meal. More settled even though he does ask for more. I know it sounds contradictory but it's like wanting that second helping even though your full because it tastes so good. Lol.

I think I gave him om from the start or a few days after. he was use to home cooked toppers and a bit of raw here and there when he was kibble fed.

Enjoy the process of the transition and the learning experience it is pretty amazing.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Crowned Member

Welcome to the "dark side"!!! LOL

Personally, I would feed a few more ounces per day until her body becomes sated, then you can cut back if necessary from a weight perspective.

You may want to limit the amount of skin she gets for a week or so, then introduce it slowly. Diarrhea can occur in some dogs from the skin and fat.

Also note that:
*Your dog may go thru a "detox" or "hexing" or "healing" (different terms are used).
“Toxins” have to somehow escape the body. Dogs could show upsetting signs such as drainage from the ears and/or eyes, vomiting, diarrhea, stool that will smell SO bad it would make the strongest stomach urp! Stool with strange colors, mucousey stool, discharge from the penis or vagina, bad breath, itching….even MORE than they were itching before, licking themselves, and, thru the skin such as open sores or making them smell like last week’s garbage that’s been rotting out in the sun, or even loosing hair!Excreting these toxins could take from a few days, to a few months, depending on how much toxic waste their system has held on to (all dogs are different). A dog will have even more toxins in his system from the vaccinations that they have had and also if he has been treated with topical insecticides’. Some dogs will have a mild detox some won’t. Signs may get worse before it gets better!
*They may drink very little for a few days b/c of the moisture in the food.
*They may not poop the first few days. Our first GSD's didn't poop for 3 days after starting raw, and then it was the size of a little dogs'!!! Their body was absorbing the "whole foods"! I was terrified back then, but I waited it out!

Hope this helps!
Moms

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I also found a local butcher who has a beef pet food mix for 99 cents a pound so I got some of that as well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Crowned Member

I know everyone feels differently about supplementation, but since the dogs are not eating a "Fresh Kill".....I've always been on the side of supplementing the raw diet to get the additional nutrients needed.

These are fantastic Human Grade "Whole Food" supplements you may to consider adding to your raw diet:

Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo): Sunday-Sundae-12oz
Feed-Sentials – K9 Nutrients( Multi Vitamins – combination of whole foods which provides a full spectrum vitamins with co-factors which amplify benefits): Feed-Sentials Nutritional Supplement
Sh-emp Oil (Combination of Herring Oil, Coconut Oil and Hemp Oil) SH-EMP OIL Nutritional oil
Phyt-n-Chance (superfoods, which includes cleansing/detoxification, anti inflammation, and phyto nutrition supporting immune health): Phyt-n-Chance-K9-A-Highly-Concentrated-Antioxidant-Blend
Power Of EA’s (a unique blend of natural, health enriching oils that are high in omega 3. It also provides a rich source of beta carotene, another anti inflammatory and complete, natural vitamin E from two separate ingredients which provide four tocopherols.) Power-of-3EA-s

Best of luck and keep us posted on how it's going!
Moms
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

So far I've gotten
20 lbs chicken quarters
10 lbs dog food beef mix from butcher
3 lbs chicken hearts and gizzards
1 lbs chicken liver
15 lbs ground green tripe
2 lbs chicken feet

I think I'm off to a good start as far as ingredients. I was wondering when I'm doing beef since it is ground can I put in chicken feet since they are almost pure bone to make up the 10%?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page