Feeding egg shell, yes or no - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Feeding egg shell, yes or no

Hi All, this is my first post here. I have been reading lots of the posts and taking the good advice onboard. My GSD is 12 wk old and she's on raw food. We live on a large sheep property so getting meat is not a problem. In morning she gets 2 chicken necks with 250 grams of minced lamb teaspoon of mixed liver, hart and kidney with table spoon of cooked sweet potato and spinach. She gets this again at night, so just over 500 grams a day. She has raw bones but not really into them yet. I feed her 2 eggs at lunch and she has taste of the wild biscuits available. So question is she loves to eat the egg shells before she licks up the egg is it ok to let her do this or should I crush or grind the egg shells first or just leave her to it? Could eating them cause harm to her?

Thanks in advance ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:31 PM
Master Member

I have in the past but I crushed the egg shells. Are chicken necks with the bones safe though?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian G View Post
I have in the past but I crushed the egg shells. Are chicken necks with the bones safe though?
yes, chicken necks are great intro to raw food.

for the egg shells, most people crush them simply to insure that they will be eaten. If she will eat them on her own, it's fine to leave them however you want.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

I think it won't hurt her, but I think they may not be absorbed in the system unless you dry them and crush them for calcium. I don't really know a lot about feeding raw, but I read an article that if you feed bones, the calcium/phosphorus ratio will be proper, and this is very important. But if you do not feed the bones -- if she does not eat the bones, and you supplement calcium (dried crushed egg shells) than you have to make sure to adjust phosphorous (I believe). Again, know only enough to be dangerous on raw feeding. Good luck.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

I think so, I have had her on necks from the beginning, got her at 8 weeks and she was very poor.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes maybe I should dry and grind them so the shells are absorbed easily???
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Food prep for her yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1465526877173.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	370058  
Mudypoz likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:50 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
yes, chicken necks are great intro to raw food.

for the egg shells, most people crush them simply to insure that they will be eaten. If she will eat them on her own, it's fine to leave them however you want.
Can't the bones from the neck get stuck in their intestines though? My family always advised against giving them bones. A friend of mines dog had emergency surgery because a bone wouldnt pass.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 01:25 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian G View Post
Can't the bones from the neck get stuck in their intestines though? My family always advised against giving them bones. A friend of mines dog had emergency surgery because a bone wouldnt pass.
raw bones are fine. they crush them b4 swallowing. cooked bones are a no no. they splinter and can cause problems.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlieV View Post
Hi All, this is my first post here. I have been reading lots of the posts and taking the good advice onboard. My GSD is 12 wk old and she's on raw food. We live on a large sheep property so getting meat is not a problem. In morning she gets 2 chicken necks with 250 grams of minced lamb teaspoon of mixed liver, hart and kidney with table spoon of cooked sweet potato and spinach. She gets this again at night, so just over 500 grams a day. She has raw bones but not really into them yet. I feed her 2 eggs at lunch and she has taste of the wild biscuits available. So question is she loves to eat the egg shells before she licks up the egg is it ok to let her do this or should I crush or grind the egg shells first or just leave her to it? Could eating them cause harm to her?

Thanks in advance ?
Eggshells are fine. I just crack the egg and toss in the shell. One dog will eat it, the other wont'. The lining of the shell (egg shell membrane) is very good for them. all the building blocks for joints. Peer reviewed studies on benefits. No need to dry them and grind them as they are not her main source for calcium. View them more as a treat.

You feed 250 g of meat/organ combination with 2 chicken necks? how much weight do the necks account for?

Necks are very bony so when I feed them, I use them as not more than 40% of the total meal weight.

250g = 8 oz of meat per meal. assuming 10% of that 8oz is organ. so 7 oz meat, 1 oz organ
chicken necks typically weigh about 2-3 oz each. So 2 necks per meal are 4-6 oz.

meat = 220g
organ = 30g
neck = 125-186g

Does that sound about right on your weights? If so, I think your proportions are fine but just be aware of them. If the neck weight is higher, you may want to do some figuring.

Heart is meat, not organ. But a vital ingredient.

The only thing I would suggest is to mix out the veges and meats to give her more variety and better balance.

Sardines, mackerel, beef, meats native to your country, etc

Blueberries, celery (organically grown. store bought has very little nutrients), parsley, raspberries, broccoli, apples, squashes, etc.
ArlieV likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page