Raw-ish. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Raw-ish.

Ok, now that my stressful weekend is over. I am researching raw. I don't have much room in my freezer and I don't really have any room to add another freezer not right now at least. So I'm thinking about either doing raw 1 day a week and then incorporating raw snacks. Any advice? Good idea? Bad idea? Should I just wait until I do have more freezer space and then go full on raw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Elite Member

Just a thought. You could always pick up a dehydrated base mix like the honest kitchen or sojos.

The honest kitchen is completely human grade diet. They have full diets and mixes you add your own meat and water to. Here's the ingredients to one of their base mixes:

INGREDIENTS
All ingredients dehydrated: Sweet potatoes, peas, cabbage, organic coconut, apples, spinach, pumpkin, bananas, celery, organic kelp, organic honey, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino

It's dehydrated so shelf stable, and dehydrating preserves nutrients better then the kibble making process or canning.

You could easily pick up some cheap meat while doing your regular grocery shopping. 3 packets of chicken gizzards and hearts, 1 pack of chicken liver, and 2 cans of mackerel, a dozen eggs, and maybe 1 pack of a cheap beef. And I'd grab some live culture yogurt too. Be about 15 bucks a week and takes up a small amount of space in the fridge. So not too bad even though you cant take advantage of bulk deals. Oh and a jar of coconut oil. Give a recreational bone or some fun chews like chicken feet a few times a week - happy healthy pups.

You'd be miles ahead nutrition wise then kibble and get a lot of the benefits of raw. Might be a good compromise until you are ready for full out raw.

Last edited by voodoolamb; 06-05-2016 at 11:45 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

That is exactly what I'm wanting to do! Ill research honest kitchen tomorrow!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Elite Member

i see you're in dallas, you could also get some of the blends from texas tripe that have the bone and organ added . They do a weekly drop off at a few places or more drop offs monthly
dogfaeries likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) ~IPO in training~
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

I will look into that as well
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 12:35 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
i see you're in dallas, you could also get some of the blends from texas tripe that have the bone and organ added . They do a weekly drop off at a few places or more drop offs monthly

I order from Texas Tripe as well. Good stuff!

~ Diane ~

SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't
CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
RUSSELL ..... Lauremi's Paix
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 09:42 AM

I'm so thrilled you started this thread MMcoy! I'm looking for the same information as I can't do full time raw.

My question is...if we incorporate raw while also feeding kibble are we simply adding raw to each meal of kibble or replacing a whole kibble meal with a raw meal?

I think I could handle getting everything voodoolamb listed! We have also been looking at some of the premade stuff like Honest Kitchen. Just curious on how to implement them with the kibble.
MMcCoy likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Elite Member

you can do either or. Some days my male gets raw dinner instead of kibble, sometimes he gets some meat with his kibble. Some dogs get upset stomachs when you mix kibble and raw together, most dont.
MMcCoy likes this.

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) ~IPO in training~
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
you can do either or. Some days my male gets raw dinner instead of kibble, sometimes he gets some meat with his kibble. Some dogs get upset stomachs when you mix kibble and raw together, most dont.
Wonderful! Thank you! I have a little time as my pup isn't going to be home until Aug 1 but am the research type and want to get everything in order before and food is at the top of the list. I guess I'm "nesting"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think its a matter of the dog handling both so much as the rate for digestion is different. I would imagine that if a dog eats 2x a day and let's say didn't digest the meal from the night before it would feel pretty heavy on the stomach, probably not a good feeling.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page