Raw diet journey - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Raw diet journey

Alright everyone! So first step was doing my research and second was finding a supply chain. Well! Third step was getting a cooler and well! Check! Here it is! Picked it up tonight. Next step is buying the meat this weekend and then cutting it up! Well we also have to buy a scale! So here is the picture, for any of you who like comedy you should know it's on top of my husbands 2 dr accord ? Ha!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1464916610031.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	368865   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1464916654389.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	368873  
ipopro and Mudypoz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Banned

I am so very proud of you girl! Ty TY TY for doing this. You have done a tremendous job so far!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

Good for you mb! Well done!!!

Moms

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:33 AM
Elite Member

nice! Don't forget to let it sit upright for a day before plugging it in when you have it tipped sideways like that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) ~IPO in training~
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone feed pork chitterlings?
Also did our first batch of shopping! Got some turkey necks for a good price some gizzards some bone in pork chops some chicken thighs and some beef and chicken livers
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Minus the ribs, that's our first stock up! Got some good deals! Haven't event bought in bulk yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1465003665614.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	369073  
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Knighted Member

One tip for using a chest freezer--not just for meat, but any chest freezer:

Buy some plastic baskets to organize it before it gets full (milk crates are great to use if it's a big freezer, or find appropriate smaller, stackable baskets for small freezers). Group things by type in the baskets. If you organize this way, when you inevitably want to get to the stuff at the bottom, you just lift out the top basket, and it's easy to get to the stuff below. The milk crates can even be rotated top to bottom from time to time. It also makes it less likely you'll forget ("lose") good stuff at the bottom.

You can find assorted plastic baskets at Walmart in several different departments: sewing notions, bath items, organizing, and laundry -- write down your inside freezer dimensions to take with you to the store, so that you can put some together that exactly fit your freezer.

I also recommend hanging a white board next to the freezer. I have the board divided in quadrants corresponding to my baskets, and I list the contents of each basket (and the date the item went into the freezer). When I want something, I know right where it is going to be found, so there's minimal digging.
voodoolamb, girardid and Lesa2093 like this.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburitica181 View Post
Does anyone feed pork chitterlings?
Also did our first batch of shopping! Got some turkey necks for a good price some gizzards some bone in pork chops some chicken thighs and some beef and chicken livers
Yep. I feed the chits. They count as muscle meat.

Stomach, intestines, gizzards, uterus, lung and heart are the organs you count as muscle.

I like to stuff the chitterlings with ground meat, fruit, veggies, and yogurt/kefir then freeze. I feed them frozen solid. Raw dog food popsicle sausage LOL
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

WE HIT THE JACKPOT!! The international mart in va beach has everything! Pork tongue rabbit goat lamb! They had testicles pancreas livers kidneys hearts! They have everything! I was in heaven! Told my husband we are coming back here!
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburitica181 View Post
WE HIT THE JACKPOT!! The international mart in va beach has everything! Pork tongue rabbit goat lamb! They had testicles pancreas livers kidneys hearts! They have everything! I was in heaven! Told my husband we are coming back here!
Woo Hoo!!!

How are the prices? Having variety is great but if it's pricey it's not necessarily worth it for me with the drive to VA Beach. Central Meats in Chesapeake has exotic meats (kangaroo, alligator etc.) but I can't pay $12 a lb to feed it to my dog.
International markets can be great but I take caution where some things are sourced. Anything out of China would be a no go for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a purest but China has a really crappy reputation for food health and safety.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page