Raw diet journey - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I read the frozen food forum... but I am still confused. Do you have to thaw food (leave in fridge) or can I give frozen food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:21 PM
Crowned Member

I thaw most of the food. I have a couple that would eat to fast so they get theirs more frozen because them they have to chew it. Their new favorite is ostrich necks. I have found that mine do not require as much bone as most dogs and I have slowed down with that--I watch the poop. I give mine green tripe almost daily. I also don't give organs daily anymore, now I do every couple days and thd amounts equal the same but just a bigger serving. Due to allergies I stick with chicken, turkey, goat, ostrich and elk liver. I try to get goat kidneys but beef and pork is easier to get. I go with bison pancreas, goat testicles, goat spleen and stuff like that.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

I haven't posted many pictures of either Lincoln nor Ellie. I have a few of each from the last few days! I am proud to say that their teeth look much much better, their breath smells substantially better (biggest thing we've noticed, and their coats look better. We are still adjusting lincolns portions because he is too skinny. The problem with Lincoln since he is a puppy, he eats too much and gains too much, we cut back he loses quickly, we are still finding a median!

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburitica181 View Post
I haven't posted many pictures of either Lincoln nor Ellie. I have a few of each from the last few days! I am proud to say that their teeth look much much better, their breath smells substantially better (biggest thing we've noticed, and their coats look better. We are still adjusting lincolns portions because he is too skinny. The problem with Lincoln since he is a puppy, he eats too much and gains too much, we cut back he loses quickly, we are still finding a median!

I think you always watch the portions. I've been doing this for a while now and I still go back and forth with my older golden. He weighed 90 pounds at the vet, I want to take off 10, but the vet says only a pond or two to feel the ribs. We will see. Apollo has been tricky too. I've always kept him slim and I slowly up it and he still stays put. He is up to about 3 pounds a day to maintain. I do like having that control over their weight.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

You can see with Lincoln on one picture he looks very thin. Ellie, we are very comfortable at her weight and her portions, might cut back just a little but we like where she is at. Last night they got a treat because the market we went to had a decent deal on the turkey drumsticks. The second we took them out of the fridge and into the doggy room, they were going nuts!!! (as if they don't for every meal). As you could see it was $.99 a #. Which isn't great but I figured they deserved a treat. They devoured them! I still will never get over the crunch and crackle of the bone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	906b7741-2f30-4c32-9756-cbfb0d53c29b.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	374866   Click image for larger version

Name:	96f3429c-a839-4150-86a1-a3cab11df534.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	374874   Click image for larger version

Name:	22ec5570-e31a-4aec-81ee-bd4af9d4ff28.jpg
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	374882   Click image for larger version

Name:	7d4ee63c-b31b-43c2-b772-442835bfc1cf.jpg
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	374890   Click image for larger version

Name:	f02d9c2a-8043-4816-84d0-414e1a1f425b.jpg
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	374898  

Click image for larger version

Name:	e91e8e23-2338-4ef3-8c2c-2ee166263466.jpg
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	374906   Click image for larger version

Name:	b94409a8-1e0e-4448-829f-0016bedc1c88.jpg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	374914   Click image for larger version

Name:	b88e15d3-909f-4f9b-a8ba-c04dd109cd95.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	374922   Click image for larger version

Name:	b8ed7759-f50a-47f7-be7c-ae6fed73fee4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	374930   Click image for larger version

Name:	37371486-88bd-4fab-a3d2-3a18ebb1fb95.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	374938  

post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 AM

I stopped weighing the food a long time ago, now I just go by body condition. If I see too many ribs, I add a little bit more food to each meal, and if I don't see any ribs I take a little bit out. I don't like to feed frozen food, but that's probably more because I wouldn't like it myself, lol. A lot of people do it to slow their dogs down a bit, but I always thaw it out first.

The crunching of the bones used to make me super nervous, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. Turkey bones do make me a bit nervous because they're SO hard and sharp, but that's just me.

Your dog looks great in the pictures!
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudypoz View Post
I stopped weighing the food a long time ago, now I just go by body condition. If I see too many ribs, I add a little bit more food to each meal, and if I don't see any ribs I take a little bit out. I don't like to feed frozen food, but that's probably more because I wouldn't like it myself, lol. A lot of people do it to slow their dogs down a bit, but I always thaw it out first.

The crunching of the bones used to make me super nervous, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. Turkey bones do make me a bit nervous because they're SO hard and sharp, but that's just me.

Your dog looks great in the pictures!
I don't think I trust myself to just feel it out.. maybe when I get more experience. As of right now we feed Lincoln frozen because that boy will completely gobble down a whole chicken without chewing if he had the chance.

The bones don't make me nervous as much cringe. It just a crazy sound. Gives me a tummy feeling!

Lincoln definitely needs a few pounds, his ribs show and his waistline is a bit slim.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

Apollo is very active and probably can go 3.5 pounds a day and not gain an ounce

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Apollo is very active and probably can go 3.5 pounds a day and not gain an ounce

He is beautiful!
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone care to tell me what probiotics and supplements they use? I just ordered Salmon oil, and am looking for a probiotic. Here are some I'm looking at.

VetriScience Vetri-Probiotic BD Gastrointestinal Health Dog Tablets
NaturVet All-In-One
NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Probiotic
Pet Naturals of Vermont Daily Probiotic

They all have great reviews, what do you recommend? I am looking into digestive enzymes and a probiotic that I can give or alternate with. I am very open to all suggestions and recommendations and reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page