Raw diet journey - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Joey-and-chandler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: England
Posts: 313
Hi guys, wonder how much approximately you spend monthlt on feeding?

? get 1 kilo muscle meats chunks around 5 to 7 dollars depending on the animal. And pay about 380 ish dollars a month for two puppies. Seems a bit too much wondered what your approximates are
Joey-and-chandler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mburitica181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey-and-chandler View Post
Hi guys, wonder how much approximately you spend monthlt on feeding?

? get 1 kilo muscle meats chunks around 5 to 7 dollars depending on the animal. And pay about 380 ish dollars a month for two puppies. Seems a bit too much wondered what your approximates are

Didn't see this until now. Have you searched the forums?
mburitica181 is offline  
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 PM
Member
 
Mesonoxian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey-and-chandler View Post
Hi guys, wonder how much approximately you spend monthlt on feeding?

? get 1 kilo muscle meats chunks around 5 to 7 dollars depending on the animal. And pay about 380 ish dollars a month for two puppies. Seems a bit too much wondered what your approximates are
This will vary a lot depending on where you live, if you're a part of a co-op, if you have access to hunters, how much storage you have (to take advantage of great deals), etc.

Personally, I spend an average of about $1.15 USD/lb. (I used to spend a little more, but I have access to a little more freezer space than I had previously, yay!)

- Kayla


Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 10 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
― Dean Koontz
Mesonoxian is offline  
 
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mburitica181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 332
First feeding this morning! Trying to figure t all out still. We figured Ellie gets 1 pounds 8 ounces per day and we give Lincoln 1 pound and 14 ounces. Then we broke it down 80% meat 10% bone and 10% organ. We didn't give any bone and we don't plan to for now for the first two weeks or so. It's more or less because DH is worried about choking as he was this morning when the dogs only took a few chomps on the meat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	370681  
mburitica181 is offline  
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Member
 
Mesonoxian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburitica181 View Post
First feeding this morning! Trying to figure t all out still. We figured Ellie gets 1 pounds 8 ounces per day and we give Lincoln 1 pound and 14 ounces. Then we broke it down 80% meat 10% bone and 10% organ. We didn't give any bone and we don't plan to for now for the first two weeks or so. It's more or less because DH is worried about choking as he was this morning when the dogs only took a few chomps on the meat.
Congrats on your start! Keep in mind that you will almost certainly need to include bone as quickly as possible, or you're setting yourself up for smooshy poops at best, and cannon butt at worst! Are you including organ right now? If you are, I would actually suggest to hold back on the organ, and introduce the bone first. Organ is notorious for causing yucky poops while they get transitioned on to it. (sidenote, also be sure that half of the organ you feed is liver, and the other half is made up of other secreting organs - lungs and heart do not count as "organs")

Bone-in meat will actually help your dogs slow down their eating, it's more challenging for them and they have to work at it a little harder. When I feed boneless meals they go down much more quickly than our bone-in days. If you're concerned about bones, I would also suggest sticking with chicken bones, as they're the one of the softest type of raw bones (which is also why they're one of the most dangerous cooked bones). And don't be afraid to "feed big." The bigger pieces you feed, the harder your dogs will have to work at it and the slower they'll have to eat. (My 30lb dog will try to swallow drumsticks whole, but will happily chew up chicken leg quarters and thighs properly)
Mudypoz likes this.

- Kayla


Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 10 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
― Dean Koontz
Mesonoxian is offline  
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mburitica181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesonoxian View Post
Congrats on your start! Keep in mind that you will almost certainly need to include bone as quickly as possible, or you're setting yourself up for smooshy poops at best, and cannon butt at worst! Are you including organ right now? If you are, I would actually suggest to hold back on the organ, and introduce the bone first. Organ is notorious for causing yucky poops while they get transitioned on to it. (sidenote, also be sure that half of the organ you feed is liver, and the other half is made up of other secreting organs - lungs and heart do not count as "organs")

Bone-in meat will actually help your dogs slow down their eating, it's more challenging for them and they have to work at it a little harder. When I feed boneless meals they go down much more quickly than our bone-in days. If you're concerned about bones, I would also suggest sticking with chicken bones, as they're the one of the softest type of raw bones (which is also why they're one of the most dangerous cooked bones). And don't be afraid to "feed big." The bigger pieces you feed, the harder your dogs will have to work at it and the slower they'll have to eat. (My 30lb dog will try to swallow drumsticks whole, but will happily chew up chicken leg quarters and thighs properly)

So we winded up giving a whole thigh tonight to both dogs to incorporate bone! You give bone daily right? I also bought some RMBs today!
mburitica181 is offline  
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mburitica181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 332
Are gizzards a muscle meat? Besides liver what other organs are there truly? I'm not able to find much besides different livers. I did however find some brain which I already cut up. So far we only have beef liver and chicken liver. We also have gizzards but I think that would be muscle meat? I don't know where to find kidneys.. We also picked up some rabbit and we picked up some chitterlings and pig tails. I think pig tails can be considered RMBs right because there's a lot of bone and meat? So many questions!


Edit: just read gizzard is a muscle meat!

Last edited by mburitica181; 06-14-2016 at 11:39 PM.
mburitica181 is offline  
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 12:19 AM
Elite Member
 
Springbrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,143
Yes bone is given daily. Organs other than livers- kidney, spleen, pancreas, testes. If you can't source them locally try

https://www.mypetcarnivore.com

I order most of my non-liver organ meat from them.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Springbrz is offline  
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Mesonoxian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburitica181 View Post
So we winded up giving a whole thigh tonight to both dogs to incorporate bone! You give bone daily right? I also bought some RMBs today!
When first starting raw, it's generally better to feed bone daily. For my dog, now that's she fully transitioned and we have an established regular menu, we do a bone-in meal about once every 3 days. We do bone-in meat along with her "ration" of organs, and then 2 days of MM only. (this is just how it all worked out percentage-wise for us.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburitica181 View Post
Are gizzards a muscle meat? Besides liver what other organs are there truly? I'm not able to find much besides different livers. I did however find some brain which I already cut up. So far we only have beef liver and chicken liver. We also have gizzards but I think that would be muscle meat? I don't know where to find kidneys.. We also picked up some rabbit and we picked up some chitterlings and pig tails. I think pig tails can be considered RMBs right because there's a lot of bone and meat? So many questions!


Edit: just read gizzard is a muscle meat!
Questions are good, never be afraid to ask!

"Other" organs include kidney, pancreas, spleen, testicles, and ovaries. Kidney is probably the easiest one to source, I've gotten kidney from a local butcher and a local meat processor (I did have to ask specifically though, they didn't just have it in stock). I'd recommend looking into local sources that may allow you to "special order" organs. Another option is to order organs from a raw-food supplier like MyPetCarnivore (we looove MPC!), Hare Today Gone Tomorrow, Raw Feeding Miami, etc.

Gizzard, Heart, Lung, Tongue, and Green tripe are all fed as MM. Chitterling is intestines, and doesn't really have much (if any) nutritional value to your dog. Green tripe(stomach) on the other hand, is a powerhouse food!

I feed chicken almost exclusively as my bone source (and I have a much smaller dog) so I'm not super comfortable recommending bone-in cuts that would be appropriate for your size dog - this can also depend on their confidence in eating and how intense of a chewer they are.

I HIGHLY recommend joining the Raw Feeding Community on facebook! They have a collection of files with good basic info, as well as more in-depth information. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people on there as well, and everyone is great about being welcoming and helpful to new raw feeders.
Mudypoz likes this.

- Kayla


Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 10 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
― Dean Koontz
Mesonoxian is offline  
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mburitica181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 332
You guys are all the best! Thank you! So have some bad news! Our freezer took a wrong turn today. We have to buy a new one tomorrow in order to save all of our meat!
mburitica181 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome