What is the main staple people buy that is so cheap? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

What is the main staple people buy that is so cheap?

Hey all I've been doing a little research on raw dog diets, and it seems really interesting. One thing I was amazed is that people are actually able to do a diet like this for cheaper than premium kibble.

I know the diet is supposed to consist of 80% meat, 10% edible bone, 5 liver, 5 other organ meat. The last 20% seems easy enough to get, but what I'm wondering is what people are feeding for that 80% meat that they are able to get so incredibly cheap. I live in a fairly rural area(Hanford, 30 minutes west of Fresno) with a lot of cattle farms, so I imagine with a bit of calling around I could find it, I'm just not sure what I'm looking for.

Buying the prepackaged stuff at 25-40 dollars a week is not an option for me it is just out of my budget, but if I could find a way to DIY, and get it for the same price as my kibble I'd definetely want to make the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:43 PM
Knighted Member

Your local slaughterhouses may give you a good price on heart and tongue (= muscle meat), as well as kidney, spleen, liver and other organs. One small one near me does a "dog food mix" that contains all the beef bits they can't sell to the restaurant trade, tossed into a grinder (all of the above parts and more).

Chicken would also be WAY cheaper than beef.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:53 PM

Our staples are chicken, which can often be found for $ 0.50 - 0.60/lb (frozen quarters), and beef heart which is around a dollar/lb depending on where you get it. Then I stock up when other things are on sale, like pork, turkey, or lamb. Sometimes I get them a duck or cornish game hens.

It helps to have one or more large freezers so you can stock up when things are on sale. I've been known to buy 200 lbs of chicken, turkey, pork ribs, etc. when it's on sale

If you have small farms close by, and they have their animals butchered at home, they will usually give you things like kidneys, liver, pancreas, tripe, lungs, hearts, etc. for free. Also if you call the butcher, he might have tons of that stuff that he'll give you. The old butcher used to give a lot of it to us, but the new one is afraid to get sued ( in case a dog gets sick) so he just throws it all away

I have a couple of farmers that will call me anytime they have animals butchered, and I'll come out and pick up pretty much everything they don't want.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:55 PM

You have a real advantage living near cattle farms and such, you can get things from them if they have meat cattle, things like full heads can be fed and tongues that the farmers would other wise get thrown out. i know thats not really th meat park but a good idea for having cattle farmers around. Don't just use beef though chicken and turkey is also very good as well as lamb, do you have instagram? there is many people who feed raw and can give you pointers on what type of meat as well as examples of possible meals, @Flynnandacepersonal / @Flynnandace posts great videos and information about raw feeding, Ace is a working line shepherd so i'm sure you can get lots of information about different meats to feed for pup for when you make the switch. I'm not much help but i hope you look at that account, you can see them even if you don't have instagram. Hope you find some good meat sources
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Magwart, aren't those all considered organ meat, which is only supposed to be 5% of the total meat? This is where I'm confused I think. Also let's say I did do beef, would I still need chicken bones for the edible bone portion of the diet?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:58 PM

Heart is fed as muscle meat.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Definitely comes down to sources and your comfort level. Personally I prefer to pay a little more and feed a human grade premade grind so I don't have to think anything more than thaw and serve

I get a preground chicken and beef mix for $2.25 a lb which is my staple four days a week then I rotate in salmon, turkey, duck, rabbit, and pork for the rest of the week. Feeding raw is the same price for me as feeding kibble but my dogs love it and are happier and healthier on raw. Could I do it cheaper, sure but for now I like the convenience

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niexist View Post
Magwart, aren't those all considered organ meat, which is only supposed to be 5% of the total meat? This is where I'm confused I think. Also let's say I did do beef, would I still need chicken bones for the edible bone portion of the diet?
Chicken bones are not the only bones that are safe, any bones are safe as long as they are raw. so other bones and such are also good
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
would I still need chicken bones for the edible bone portion of the diet?
Beef bones are generally not edible, they're too hard, but pork bones, chicken, turkey, and lamb are.

Try to get as much variety as you possibly can.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Chicken bone is a great source of edible bone. And yes, you need bone in the diet for it to be complete. Chicken backs, chicken leg quarters, etc. can usually be found for cheap. You can also get turkey necks.

Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food

Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch

SPREADSHEET | Pack Lunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page