What is the main staple people buy that is so cheap? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:16 PM
Elite Member

I have my butcher do mine. Chicken and chicken quarters are the main staple, and he includes the appropriate proportions of bone and organ meats. I sub in other meats (mostly beef, sometimes turkey) for variety sometimes. I add vegetables, blended, and a spoonful of pumpkin. Sometimes she gets a raw egg, but I'm finding she prefers them hard boiled and cut up. The meat costs me less than $15/week. When I add the veggies and supplements, it probably still comes in well under $20/week (a $40 container of supplements lasts a LONG time). I have a standing order at my butcher for 50 lb at a time, and I just call a week ahead and have him make up more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

I don't use a butcher but I found a supplier that does all the work and goes through farms to get good pricing. For exams I get a case(30 pounds)of Turkey hearts for $30. I get 40 pound cases of chicken hearts and gizzards for $44 each. 40 pounds of leg quarters is $24. We stay away from beef heart--none of my dogs tolerate it well.

For my dogs I need about 210 pounds of meat per month plus everything else.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 04-26-2016 at 02:53 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I don't use a butcher but I found a supplier that does all the work and goes through farms to get good pricing. For exams I get a case(30 pounds)of Turkey hearts for $30. I get 40 pound cases of chicken hearts and gizzards for $44 each. 40 pounds of leg quarters is $24.
Holy moly, that's a great deal! I wish I could get that price where I live!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Elite Member

Right now the staple is grass fed beef or Lamb heart and green tripe.

It's pricier then a good kibble but cheaper then the super premium kibble I feed (ziwipeak)

I'm fortunate enough now that I can manage to feed grass fed, antibiotic, and hormone free meats.

In the past though... chicken quarters from wally world. 10 lb bag for less then 5 bucks.

When it was really tight for me I didn't even bother with balancing out the food myself. I deboned the chicken and added one of the vitamin and mineral premixes designed to balance out meat. If I bought the vits in bulk the large dogs got fed for around $30 per month.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
It's pricier then a good kibble but cheaper then the super premium kibble I feed (ziwipeak)
Holy cow, am I reading correctly that an 11 pound bag of this ziwipeak kibble is 180 USD?!? I imagine it would be cheaper to feed them chunks of gold lol.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

Call you local butchers.

I get poultry parts for 0.25/lb. Duck for 0.50/lb. Ground beef blend of heart, tongues, liver for 0.75/lb. Beef tracheas for 1.50 each. Beef/pork/lamb necks for 0.45/lb

Find the meat wholesaler for the local restaurants. I order thru Dudley Poultry in Middlesex NY. Turkey hearts for 0.65/lb. Duck wings and necks for about 1.20/lb. most everything I buy is less than or at $1/lb

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niexist View Post
Holy cow, am I reading correctly that an 11 pound bag of this ziwipeak kibble is 180 USD?!? I imagine it would be cheaper to feed them chunks of gold lol.
Haha. The Venison one runs about that. The beef and lamb ziwipeak runs about $130 for 11lbs.

But this is special stuff. It's not really a kibble. It's more like a jerky. It is a Dehydrated raw diet. Here are the ingredients:

Lamb - Meat (includes up to 3% finely ground bone), Lamb - Liver, Lung, Tripe, Heart and Kidney, New Zealand Green-Lipped Mussel, Lecithin, Chicory Inulin, Dried Kelp, Parsley, Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols (Vitamin E), Vitamins & Minerals.

You feed MUCH MUCH less then regular kibble. 1 oz of ziwi is equal to 3 oz of fresh meat. That 11 lbs would last my 1 year old male nearly 3 weeks.

They have quality control out the wazoo. Never had a recall. The meat they use is all grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free. Environmentally sustainable practices. No ingredients from asia. They dry the food at a low enough temperature that the enzymes stay intact. Great customer service. I've had questions answered by the cofounder of the company. It is one of the few brands I really trust.

It is way cheaper then the commercial raw food. I used it a lot when my pup was growing so he got everything he needed. Now I keep a bag on hand for days I forget to thaw and to use as training treats.

I buy most of my meat from mypetcarnivore. My boyfriend also feeds raw so we split the shipping cost. If not for buying in bulk and saving on the shipping ziwi would probably be cheaper.

Of course if I fed poultry instead of red meat, and if I didn't stick with grass fed then it would be a different story lol
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice everyone, seems like chicken backs/chicken quarters are good for me to get start. I'll most likely let this bag of Fromm LBP I have run out while I start acquiring supplies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page