Starting Raw diet on 8 week pup questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Starting Raw diet on 8 week pup questions

I have a question.
I got a bunch of scraps from the grocery store today. Mostly fat, but some good pieces, including a bunch attached to some Tbones.
Would those be ok to give to an 8 week old pup just starting on RAW, or should I break em up, or just not give them at all?
I don't have him yet, not till June, but I am starting on my stash now lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 PM
Crowned Member

grab it, freeze it and start doing your homework on feeding a raw diet. T-bones are not recommended for raw meaty bones.... too sharp and hard.
I wouldn't even consider them a recreational chew for a pup, too small and gulpers could be harmed from a T-bone.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Knighted Member

If you want to feed raw, I'd start with a pre made commercial diet so you aren't missing important nutrition a puppy needs. The number one problem with raw is when people don't feed a complete diet and it really matters with a young pup.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJeanSteak View Post
I have a question.
I got a bunch of scraps from the grocery store today. Mostly fat, but some good pieces, including a bunch attached to some Tbones.
Would those be ok to give to an 8 week old pup just starting on RAW, or should I break em up, or just not give them at all?
I don't have him yet, not till June, but I am starting on my stash now lol
Will the pup be weaned onto kibble or will he be weaned onto raw?

I'd vacuum seal those finds and pop them in the freezer till the pup is a bit older. Too much fat can lead to cannon butt.

You may also want to consider feeding a commercial raw during the pup's most rapid growth stages.

My guy was weaned onto pro plan. He got that the first day home. The next day I started weaning him onto ziwipeak which is an air dried raw jerky by mixing the two. The little bugger picked the ziwi out of the bowl so we switched cold turkey. He also was given raw goats milk 2x a day. And raw oxtails as a recreational bone (till about 12 weeks when he started eating them up). He had a few chicken gizzards as treats. After a week or so of that I changed his pm meal from ziwi to prepared raw - i used mostly nature's variety, but a few others here and there.

It worked well for my boy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
If you want to feed raw, I'd start with a pre made commercial diet so you aren't missing important nutrition a puppy needs. The number one problem with raw is when people don't feed a complete diet and it really matters with a young pup.

^^^^ Over and over and over.

It is not expensive to feed a puppy a commercial raw.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

He will be kibble fed at the breeders, but when he comes here I plan on feeding raw. Starting with chicken necks, and wings, then going from there. All the fat I got today (and it was alot lol) will be thrown out, or used for crow food. It was mostly red meat, and a huge hunk of pork, so that will be saved for later.
But if the Tbones can't be used, I will give them to my sister for woodpeckers (who knew they liked picking bones lol)
I have done some research online, but haven't seen anything said about Tbones. Mostly they just say do the 10-10-80, start with chicken and turkey, until the dog is doing ok on it, them move to other proteins.
Thank you all for the information =)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:44 AM

New here. This thread got my attention. What are some examples of commercial raw food can we give to our 8 week old pup to start this process? (We are getting him on Saturday....EEEEK! I am so freaking excited!)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Crowned Member

I've heard Bravo's name being used a lot, and Raw Feeding Miami just came out with a great starter kit for newbies

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpower View Post
New here. This thread got my attention. What are some examples of commercial raw food can we give to our 8 week old pup to start this process? (We are getting him on Saturday....EEEEK! I am so freaking excited!)
CONGRATS on the new pup!!!

My first recommendation for a commercial raw is Ziwipeak. The beef flavor. It is a Dehydrated raw that can be fed like kibble. It is one of the only ones I have found that had the recommended calcium and phosphorus levels for large breeds. It also happens to be the perfect size for training treats and is more affordable then the frozen (doesn't look like it at first but a bag of ziwi lasts 3 times as long as a bag of frozen)

Primal also had a few formulas with the proper ratio. Their beef did for sure. I've fed that.

The other frozen commercial raw I found, nature's variety, bravo - did not have the proper ratio. Or had too much calcium. Lots of others didn't have their calcium and phosphorus amounts published. I had to add extra meat to some of the ones I brought home to get the right amount of calcium and phos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page