Raw Food Diet Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Raw Food Diet Question

Hello everyone! Need some help/suggestions. I have put Ronin, my 5 month old shepherd, on a raw food diet and he has been on it since he was about 3.5 months old because we were having such a hard time with the other dog food we were feeding him. He has done beautifully on it! It's called Carnivora and we give him chicken and pork right at the moment but are thinking of switching it up. Now here is the question.

The past week or so, I noticed that after he eats the raw food, if I take him for a walk or any kind of exercise he comes back and poops again and then it's diarrhea. Whereas the poop earlier would be solid. No blood and it's not liquid, more just pudding texture. But it is always after exercise or after he gets himself a bit worked up. I have no idea why! Could I be walking him too soon after he eats? I usually wait about 45-50 minutes before taking him if I can at night when I get home from work. Sometimes I take him about 20 minutes after in the morning but it's only because I have a limited time frame before I have to leave for work.Not that I think that walking him should matter but not sure. Or I'm wondering if either the chicken or pork is just not sitting well with him. He gets pork in the morning, chicken at lunch and then pork for supper. Suggestions or even advice? I know it's a bit of a weird question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:13 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

If he had been doing well on his food until recently, I would have him checked for parasites at the vet. Ask them to run the ELISA test for giardia, as it can be easily missed on a normal fecal check. If that all comes back negative, I would look at how much you are feeding him. Have you recently increased his food? If so, maybe back off just a little and see if that helps. Is he on a probiotic? If not, adding a good one (Sunday Sundae, Digest All Plus, Dr. Dobias GutSense) might help.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:21 PM

Ok, I just checked out the nutrition information for the Carnivora chicken (couldn't find pork on their website). It is VERY high in fat. That could be the problem. Maybe try one of the lower fat options? Elk seemed to have the lowest fat, followed by beef and bison. Even the rabbit is a bit high in fat, but it is lower than the chicken.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Ok, I just checked out the nutrition information for the Carnivora chicken (couldn't find pork on their website). It is VERY high in fat. That could be the problem. Maybe try one of the lower fat options? Elk seemed to have the lowest fat, followed by beef and bison. Even the rabbit is a bit high in fat, but it is lower than the chicken.
I have upped his amount. He was at 2 but was so hungry he was vomiting bile a lot. So per the rep's recommendations and my vet, we upped it to 3. He has a lot more pork than chicken. I was told by the rep that no more than 1 chicken pattie a day. Because of the bones and fat. I'm just wondering more if the pork could be doing it. Unfortunately, the elk and bison and such are really expensive. A lot more than we can afford right now. So we are looking at the lower cost options. But we also upped the amount almost 2 weeks ago now, so it seems like a long time in between to me. However, his food is almost out so I am going to look at the other kinds and get another kind along with the chicken or pork for the next round.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Crowned Member

give the dog time to digest.

Digestion requires energy .

Running , walking , require energy.

How do you feel when you eat and run.
Mudypoz likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2016 View Post
I have upped his amount. He was at 2 but was so hungry he was vomiting bile a lot. So per the rep's recommendations and my vet, we upped it to 3. He has a lot more pork than chicken. I was told by the rep that no more than 1 chicken pattie a day. Because of the bones and fat. I'm just wondering more if the pork could be doing it. Unfortunately, the elk and bison and such are really expensive. A lot more than we can afford right now. So we are looking at the lower cost options. But we also upped the amount almost 2 weeks ago now, so it seems like a long time in between to me. However, his food is almost out so I am going to look at the other kinds and get another kind along with the chicken or pork for the next round.
I know how expensive commercial raw can get (my boy ONLY does well on Stella & Chewy's venison or rabbit... It costs as much as our mortgage to feed him for a month). Is the beef very expensive?

Also, I agree with Carmen's assessment that there may be too much activity too close to his meals. I would still have him tested for parasites, though. Best to rule that out, especially if it came on awhile after you had upped his food.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know how expensive commercial raw can get (my boy ONLY does well on Stella & Chewy's venison or rabbit... It costs as much as our mortgage to feed him for a month). Is the beef very expensive?

Also, I agree with Carmen's assessment that there may be too much activity too close to his meals. I would still have him tested for parasites, though. Best to rule that out, especially if it came on awhile after you had upped his food.
Beef is very expensive unfortunately. Most of the proteins are. We buy bulk because in the end it saves us a bit, but I can't afford to pay almost $300 or more for 2 proteins all the time. We may have to, but if I can avoid it, I would like to.

I will try to limit walks until after he digests and see if that helps. How long does it take on average for them to digest? Just so I know how long to wait on average. I am taking a fecal sample to the vet tomorrow and hoping to get some answers on if there is a parasite. Hoping not, but you never know with puppies.

The Carnivora rep also sells a holistic product called slippery elm that is also made specially to help stomach upsets and kills parasites. I may look into using that as well if he does have a parasite just because it's only $10 for a bottle of it and you don't use much and won't cost me a vet bill. Thankfully my vet is a believer in the all natural approach and agrees with anything holistic if it works.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Beef is very expensive unfortunately. Most of the proteins are. We buy bulk because in the end it saves us a bit, but I can't afford to pay almost $300 or more for 2 proteins all the time. We may have to, but if I can avoid it, I would like to.

I will try to limit walks until after he digests and see if that helps. How long does it take on average for them to digest? Just so I know how long to wait on average. I am taking a fecal sample to the vet tomorrow and hoping to get some answers on if there is a parasite. Hoping not, but you never know with puppies.

The Carnivora rep also sells a holistic product called slippery elm that is also made specially to help stomach upsets and kills parasites. I may look into using that as well if he does have a parasite just because it's only $10 for a bottle of it and you don't use much and won't cost me a vet bill. Thankfully my vet is a believer in the all natural approach and agrees with anything holistic if it works.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Crowned Member

Slippery Elm does not kill parasites.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Master Member

If I walk Traveler within a half hour of feeding, he will have diarrhea-guaranteed!!!

Sorry I can't help with the raw questions.

Lynn & Traveler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page