Raw Food Diet Question - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Member
 
HappyGoLucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Calgary
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2016 View Post
I always get the same comments. People can't believe how big he is for his age and how healthy he is despite the stomach upset. We took him for a walk last night a few hours after he had supper and he did just fine. No diarrhea, and he was walking like a champ most of the time. There was one instance where there were two dogs, both rotweillers and before we even got to them the owner was yelling at us that they didn't want our dog around theirs because they didn't like Shepherds. Now, I'm perfectly fine with abiding by their wishes, and made sure that Ronin was on the other side of me, away from them, with my hand firmly on his leash so that he had very little space to move away from my side. We were in a public park and lots of people were out, and the woman said within my hearing "God I hate Shepherds and sometimes I just wish I could let my dogs go at them." I COULD NOT BELIEVE SHE SAID THAT!!! And I wasn't sure exactly what she meant by it, but we just kept walking. He wasn't growling or barking or trying to get to her dogs, but some people just make me so mad. He's a puppy! I hurried away from her and her dogs very quickly, not trusting her at all! Ronin never so much as looked back at them, and just continued on following me with no problems. I was so proud of him!
Glad to hear he is doing better poop-wise.. lol! Good stuff!

Some people are plain and simple less intelligent than our GSDs.

You know, there is a saying that goes like this: "Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." Just like that lady. Good for you for ignoring her. This is one of reasons why I stopped taking mine to the parks - the owners who shouldn't be allowed to own a pet (any! not just a dog).
Mine does the same thing though as yours, haha. Other dogs bark at him and he just walks, glances at them with the "is that all you got?" look, and keeps walking in silence. Yes! We should be proud of them
HappyGoLucky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ronin2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
Glad to hear he is doing better poop-wise.. lol! Good stuff!

Some people are plain and simple less intelligent than our GSDs.

You know, there is a saying that goes like this: "Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." Just like that lady. Good for you for ignoring her. This is one of reasons why I stopped taking mine to the parks - the owners who shouldn't be allowed to own a pet (any! not just a dog).
Mine does the same thing though as yours, haha. Other dogs bark at him and he just walks, glances at them with the "is that all you got?" look, and keeps walking in silence. Yes! We should be proud of them
Yeah I just ignore it because there is no point. Everyone else loves him and stop to pet him. He has a bit of fear of strangers though lately. It used to be that he would go right up to them, but lately, he runs away. I don't know when they exactly go a "fear period". Wondering if that could be the issue?
Ronin2016 is offline  
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Member
 
HappyGoLucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Calgary
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2016 View Post
Yeah I just ignore it because there is no point. Everyone else loves him and stop to pet him. He has a bit of fear of strangers though lately. It used to be that he would go right up to them, but lately, he runs away. I don't know when they exactly go a "fear period". Wondering if that could be the issue?
It could be the adolescent shyness stage. I wouldn't call it fear, but being more careful/cautious. Just another stage of development Here is an interesting read about it:
" .... SHYNESS: Puppies that were previously happy and gregarious can become far more shy and hesitant toward new things. This is not necessarily a sign of bad temperament! It is Mother Nature’s way of keeping the puppy safe. In the wild, a puppy of this age would be going further afield and would be expected to participate in more of his own care. It is natural that a pup of this age will be more cautious about things in his life. If there have been “holes” in your early socialization program, this is when they will show up. During adolescence it is often necessary to take a step backwards in the socialization process and provide more positive experiences so that the teenage dog can really learn to become comfortable...."

K9 Station Dog Training & AuxArcs Australian Shepherds
HappyGoLucky is offline  
 
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ronin2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
It could be the adolescent shyness stage. I wouldn't call it fear, but being more careful/cautious. Just another stage of development Here is an interesting read about it:
" .... SHYNESS: Puppies that were previously happy and gregarious can become far more shy and hesitant toward new things. This is not necessarily a sign of bad temperament! It is Mother Nature’s way of keeping the puppy safe. In the wild, a puppy of this age would be going further afield and would be expected to participate in more of his own care. It is natural that a pup of this age will be more cautious about things in his life. If there have been “holes” in your early socialization program, this is when they will show up. During adolescence it is often necessary to take a step backwards in the socialization process and provide more positive experiences so that the teenage dog can really learn to become comfortable...."

K9 Station Dog Training & AuxArcs Australian Shepherds
Thanks that is great! And exactly what he's going through I think. It's just something we're going to have to work on. Mind you, some people say "Awww it's a puppy!" really loud and rush over to him and he backs up and doesn't let them near him. I try not to let people do that, but sometimes I can't catch it in time depending on where we are and what we're doing.

Another thing he is doing is lunging at people when they walk on the sidewalk in front of our house. He's always on a leash! So I have control and pull him back, but he barks and growls and does it constantly. We are working on it. When he doesn't do it on the rare occasion, he gets praise and rewarded with a treat. Then the next instance he's back at it and we try it again, but he's not listening. He startles people because he is so large, but thankfully he hasn't scared anyone yet. Not sure how to correct this.

He's doing great on the lamb food too, btw. He loves it. Next up I might try the bison like you suggested. I have a bit of time to save up for it.
Ronin2016 is offline  
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 12:06 PM
Member
 
HappyGoLucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Calgary
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2016 View Post
Thanks that is great! And exactly what he's going through I think. It's just something we're going to have to work on. Mind you, some people say "Awww it's a puppy!" really loud and rush over to him and he backs up and doesn't let them near him. I try not to let people do that, but sometimes I can't catch it in time depending on where we are and what we're doing.

Another thing he is doing is lunging at people when they walk on the sidewalk in front of our house. He's always on a leash! So I have control and pull him back, but he barks and growls and does it constantly. We are working on it. When he doesn't do it on the rare occasion, he gets praise and rewarded with a treat. Then the next instance he's back at it and we try it again, but he's not listening. He startles people because he is so large, but thankfully he hasn't scared anyone yet. Not sure how to correct this.

He's doing great on the lamb food too, btw. He loves it. Next up I might try the bison like you suggested. I have a bit of time to save up for it.
Yeah, try bison

It's kind of spooky to see how much our pooches are alike! I finally got him to not pay attention to people who walk by us or across the street. He used to lunge at people (mostly to sniff), when people come to us saying "how cute the puppy is" he would bark at them.
For lunging at people - try and be more proactive. When you approach someone, don't wait for you to pass them, instead just face him away from the person(people), make him sit/stay and go in front of him, and practice: two-three steps back and call him to come and sit in front of you. Or just stay on the same spot and do down/sit/down/sit while someone is passing you. Basically the idea is to draw his attention from the passerby onto you - yes! It is more fun to be with my dad rather than some passerby.
This part I finally got under control with humans, but he still lunges at passing by dogs sometimes. Not every time though. I'm thinking they might be other intact males and it's a competitive thing. But we are working on it.

As far as lunging at people who come to you to pet him - just say something like "Please wait, I'm training him.", then make him sit/stay and then say that it's ok to come and pet.
I might be wrong, but what I think is happening is that he is not sure how to act and takes initiative by "shooing" people away from you. I.e. "I don't know you, strange human. Get away from us, this human is mine!". But when you make him sit ahead of time, it somewhat triggers the submissive part in him (following your command), and takes away any hints at leadership from him. So now he is much calmer and more accepting of strangers attention.
I actually did that at least 3-4 times already, and 2 of them were with little kids (you know how obnoxious they can be). The first time two kids just ran towards us that I barely had time to say "sit". I could tell he was not very comfortable but didn't bark or lunge at them and let them pet him (thank God! The last thing I want is scared parents contributing to the issue and yelling at us). The second pair of kids to my surprise asked if they can pet my pup. Of course I said "Just let me sit him" and then they came to us - worked like a charm and he was calm when they pet him.

Try some of this stuff, see if it helps you. I think the key to adjusting any behavior is timing and looking at the world through dogs eyes every once in a while. I sometimes catch myself thinking "Yep, if I were him I would probably do exactly the same thing."
HappyGoLucky is offline  
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ronin2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
Yeah, try bison

It's kind of spooky to see how much our pooches are alike! I finally got him to not pay attention to people who walk by us or across the street. He used to lunge at people (mostly to sniff), when people come to us saying "how cute the puppy is" he would bark at them.
For lunging at people - try and be more proactive. When you approach someone, don't wait for you to pass them, instead just face him away from the person(people), make him sit/stay and go in front of him, and practice: two-three steps back and call him to come and sit in front of you. Or just stay on the same spot and do down/sit/down/sit while someone is passing you. Basically the idea is to draw his attention from the passerby onto you - yes! It is more fun to be with my dad rather than some passerby.
This part I finally got under control with humans, but he still lunges at passing by dogs sometimes. Not every time though. I'm thinking they might be other intact males and it's a competitive thing. But we are working on it.

As far as lunging at people who come to you to pet him - just say something like "Please wait, I'm training him.", then make him sit/stay and then say that it's ok to come and pet.
I might be wrong, but what I think is happening is that he is not sure how to act and takes initiative by "shooing" people away from you. I.e. "I don't know you, strange human. Get away from us, this human is mine!". But when you make him sit ahead of time, it somewhat triggers the submissive part in him (following your command), and takes away any hints at leadership from him. So now he is much calmer and more accepting of strangers attention.
I actually did that at least 3-4 times already, and 2 of them were with little kids (you know how obnoxious they can be). The first time two kids just ran towards us that I barely had time to say "sit". I could tell he was not very comfortable but didn't bark or lunge at them and let them pet him (thank God! The last thing I want is scared parents contributing to the issue and yelling at us). The second pair of kids to my surprise asked if they can pet my pup. Of course I said "Just let me sit him" and then they came to us - worked like a charm and he was calm when they pet him.

Try some of this stuff, see if it helps you. I think the key to adjusting any behavior is timing and looking at the world through dogs eyes every once in a while. I sometimes catch myself thinking "Yep, if I were him I would probably do exactly the same thing."
I know! Spooky is the right word. We're working on the sitting outside and giving me his attention instead. But he's so stubborn it's a work in progress. Not to mention that my husband doesn't help train so he always seems to ignore the training I do and let him do what he wants. Back to square 1 I go. He doesn't lunge as much when walking because I just block him with my body if he doesn't listen to the sit command. It's the lunging at people in front of the house that worries me. We have a lot of elderly people in our neighborhood and he almost sent one into a heart attack the other day. I'm going to keep working on making him pay attention to me when we're outside and not the things around him. It's a lot of work working with a Shepherd, but I'm hoping that this will all work out once he's full grown.
Ronin2016 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome