Raw Food Diet Question - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 12:05 PM

Aw! What a cutester!!

As far as walking on leash/in heel and have him follow you, start inside the house without distractions, get that down solid. Then move on to outside but in quieter areas without a lot of distractions, and only then start adding distractions. Just take it one tiny step at a time and make any learning experience fun and exciting.
Also, every time you give in into what he wants, it's a win in his books - don't give it to him. He pulls back home - stop and don't move until he settles and/or comes to you. Turn around and make a few more steps and see what he does. Show him that you are in charge and he has to follow your lead. You don't even need to pull, jerk the leash or yell/speak. Just stop and don't move until he changes his behavior. When he comes to you - praise LOTS and keep going to where you were planning until the next time he pulls or wants to go somewhere else.
Some folks bring toys/balls/ropes and other distractions with them to keep the walks more interactive. With mine we just walk and every now and then practice obedience as we go to bring in some variety.
Another thing to note is that they will keep testing you and push boundaries to see what they can get away with. If you give in, they will keep pushing even more and it may be harder to deal with if this behavior develops in them.

As far as neutering - our daycare said that he must be neutered by 8 months if he wants to stay in group play, otherwise he will be more isolated (still near other dogs but not in close contact and there will be a bit more human interaction instead. That was almost 2 months ago. He still plays fine with other dogs. lol. They just place him in groups without other dominant or intact dogs and he still has lots of fun going there. I told them flat out that I'm not neutering him until he is at least 1.5-2 years old to make sure he gets all his hormones and grows properly into the german shepherd. They understand and respect my decision, which make me very happy and another proof that I made the right choice with this daycare (thus far).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
Aw! What a cutester!!

As far as walking on leash/in heel and have him follow you, start inside the house without distractions, get that down solid. Then move on to outside but in quieter areas without a lot of distractions, and only then start adding distractions. Just take it one tiny step at a time and make any learning experience fun and exciting.
Also, every time you give in into what he wants, it's a win in his books - don't give it to him. He pulls back home - stop and don't move until he settles and/or comes to you. Turn around and make a few more steps and see what he does. Show him that you are in charge and he has to follow your lead. You don't even need to pull, jerk the leash or yell/speak. Just stop and don't move until he changes his behavior. When he comes to you - praise LOTS and keep going to where you were planning until the next time he pulls or wants to go somewhere else.
Some folks bring toys/balls/ropes and other distractions with them to keep the walks more interactive. With mine we just walk and every now and then practice obedience as we go to bring in some variety.
Another thing to note is that they will keep testing you and push boundaries to see what they can get away with. If you give in, they will keep pushing even more and it may be harder to deal with if this behavior develops in them.

As far as neutering - our daycare said that he must be neutered by 8 months if he wants to stay in group play, otherwise he will be more isolated (still near other dogs but not in close contact and there will be a bit more human interaction instead. That was almost 2 months ago. He still plays fine with other dogs. lol. They just place him in groups without other dominant or intact dogs and he still has lots of fun going there. I told them flat out that I'm not neutering him until he is at least 1.5-2 years old to make sure he gets all his hormones and grows properly into the german shepherd. They understand and respect my decision, which make me very happy and another proof that I made the right choice with this daycare (thus far).
Apparently there has been a problem with a dog in the past who wasn't neutered and that they are now required to be neutered to go. The daycare didn't get into detail but I don't think it was anything good. Doesn't bother me too much, because I'll still be taking him to classes and such, just not daycare all the time. He will be going back once he is neutered. We're looking at neutering him at possibly 1 year old at earliest, maybe a bit longer depending on how things go.

For walking I'll make sure to take what you said to heart. It's work in progress for me since this is my first dog on my own and I do the majority of the training and work with him. He does well walking later on in the day, but first thing in the morning he's so full of energy that he can be hard to control. I will sometimes just stop and not move if he gets too crazy and wait until he calms down, and usually he comes to my side looking very sorry. Haha. Then he's good for a bit longer before he starts up again. I'll be getting him up tomorrow morning early to go for a walk to see how he does without eating first and see if he gets his energy out a bit. I have to remind myself not to let him see me annoyed or get mad at him. He's just a puppy and is still very much learning. It's hard when you're running on no sleep and the only one doing all the work sometimes, so sometimes I will admit I lose my patience and have to remind myself it's not his fault. I'm learning just as much as him! But he's a fantastic dog and has bonded really well with me and he's definitely a wonderful addition to my family!
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 01:45 PM

Oh, trust me I get it! I live alone, busy with work and sleeping 5 hours a day (have proof - MS wrist band 2 with sleep tracking).
Yeah, that's good. When he comes back to you looking guilty, praise him lots to show him that the place right near/next to you is the happy place! Yes, as puppies they have very short attention span, just be patient and keep reminding him that.
I'm doing the same stuff with mine, and now I got to a point that we walk in heel, I see him getting distracted, we stop and I tell him "Ok (it's our release word), go sniff" and he goes to sniff and do his business as we slowly keep walking in the same direction. But what I like about all the efforts I put in - once he is done, he returns to heel on his own and we keep walking.
He is still far from perfect and often gets distracted, especially if it's windy and leaves/paper and etc. fly around, but he gets better and better at ignoring distractions and I patiently keep correcting him with tons of praises.

Good luck! Mine is the first dog ever that I own and obviously first GSD, but I'm so anal (forgive the reference) about getting it right and giving the best home to my fur-baby that I possible can, and learning and reading TONS of material GSDs specific and dogs in general.
With that being said, I realize that every dog is unique, as well as owners, so just keep trying different stuff until you find what works for you and your pooch.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, trust me I get it! I live alone, busy with work and sleeping 5 hours a day (have proof - MS wrist band 2 with sleep tracking).
Yeah, that's good. When he comes back to you looking guilty, praise him lots to show him that the place right near/next to you is the happy place! Yes, as puppies they have very short attention span, just be patient and keep reminding him that.
I'm doing the same stuff with mine, and now I got to a point that we walk in heel, I see him getting distracted, we stop and I tell him "Ok (it's our release word), go sniff" and he goes to sniff and do his business as we slowly keep walking in the same direction. But what I like about all the efforts I put in - once he is done, he returns to heel on his own and we keep walking.
He is still far from perfect and often gets distracted, especially if it's windy and leaves/paper and etc. fly around, but he gets better and better at ignoring distractions and I patiently keep correcting him with tons of praises.

Good luck! Mine is the first dog ever that I own and obviously first GSD, but I'm so anal (forgive the reference) about getting it right and giving the best home to my fur-baby that I possible can, and learning and reading TONS of material GSDs specific and dogs in general.
With that being said, I realize that every dog is unique, as well as owners, so just keep trying different stuff until you find what works for you and your pooch.
It's like looking in a mirror! Ha ha. I'm so much the same. I want him to be the best trained dog I can make him, but I also understand that it's not going to be perfect all the time. We haven't started working on heel yet, but it's on my new list of things to work on with him. Though he walks right by my side when we walk, not really going ahead of me so that's a plus. The only time I have to really stop until he comes back to me is when he wants to chase leaves. He can be on my right side, the road on my left and he will spot a leaf out of the corner of his eye and run in front of me with no warning trying to get it. Thankfully he's only on a 6ft leash and the way I hold the leash I have control enough that he can only get a few feet and not into traffic, but still, almost tripping myself isn't a good thing, so we're working on that. Treats and praise work well, but he can be stubborn so sometimes neither of those seem to work well either. Patience is my new favorite word. I love having a german shepherd but my goodness they are a lot of work!
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2016 View Post
It's like looking in a mirror! Ha ha. I'm so much the same. I want him to be the best trained dog I can make him, but I also understand that it's not going to be perfect all the time. We haven't started working on heel yet, but it's on my new list of things to work on with him. Though he walks right by my side when we walk, not really going ahead of me so that's a plus. The only time I have to really stop until he comes back to me is when he wants to chase leaves. He can be on my right side, the road on my left and he will spot a leaf out of the corner of his eye and run in front of me with no warning trying to get it. Thankfully he's only on a 6ft leash and the way I hold the leash I have control enough that he can only get a few feet and not into traffic, but still, almost tripping myself isn't a good thing, so we're working on that. Treats and praise work well, but he can be stubborn so sometimes neither of those seem to work well either. Patience is my new favorite word. I love having a german shepherd but my goodness they are a lot of work!
Amen, brother! They are definitely a lot of work, and it may sound sadistic, but I enjoy every little bit of it.
Mine also used to chase leaves/flying pieces of paper and etc., especially when the wind is strong, but he already barely reacts to them. Be proactive. Just keep watching him as you walk (especially when windy) - he would normally get his head up high and chest ahead (kind of the excited stance) and a second later takes off after it. You have to be really quick about it though and as soon as you see his attention got caught, redirect attention to yourself (with leash or verbal/body language, turn and walk the opposite way, anything you can think of), and praise the moment his attention shifted from the leaf. Because of how their memory works, timing is very critical otherwise he won't know that he is being praised for not going after the leaf and not for looking at you (not necessarily a bad thing to be praised for, but you get the idea).

It IS like looking in the mirror.. lol! Too funny
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I love having a german shepherd but my goodness they are a lot of work!
How are you doing with feeding/walking schedule?
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
How are you doing with feeding/walking schedule?
I haven't been able to take him for a walk just yet. The vet asked me to give it another couple days since he's on his medication, but we've been playing fetch, or well attempting since he hasn't quite grasped the whole bring it back AND drop it, not run away with it again. Haha. He went to daycare yesterday and wore himself out so there was no walk yesterday. I'm going to try and take him tonight and see how he does. I personally need to work on making sure to watch him a bit more closely to try and catch the signs and get him to pay attention to me. Sometimes I get walking and trying to not get too close to other people walking by I miss his cues. Thankfully though, when other people walk by he doesn't try and run at them or after them. Just walks along with me.

Feeding so far is good. Switched him to lamb today and so far he's alright. No diarrhea again. He loves raw food so that's good at least! He is now up to 50 pounds and his coat is soft and gorgeous! We are not talking about switching him off of chicken to something else as well, but not sure which just yet. Again, expense is an issue right at this moment, but possibly can manage it in a few months when we don't have to go to the vet every few days haha.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I haven't been able to take him for a walk just yet. The vet asked me to give it another couple days since he's on his medication, but we've been playing fetch, or well attempting since he hasn't quite grasped the whole bring it back AND drop it, not run away with it again. Haha. He went to daycare yesterday and wore himself out so there was no walk yesterday. I'm going to try and take him tonight and see how he does. I personally need to work on making sure to watch him a bit more closely to try and catch the signs and get him to pay attention to me. Sometimes I get walking and trying to not get too close to other people walking by I miss his cues. Thankfully though, when other people walk by he doesn't try and run at them or after them. Just walks along with me.

Feeding so far is good. Switched him to lamb today and so far he's alright. No diarrhea again. He loves raw food so that's good at least! He is now up to 50 pounds and his coat is soft and gorgeous! We are not talking about switching him off of chicken to something else as well, but not sure which just yet. Again, expense is an issue right at this moment, but possibly can manage it in a few months when we don't have to go to the vet every few days haha.
That's good to hear! I remember it all too well! We were going to the vet every 3-4 days. They even stopped charging us for some of the less expensive visits to help us a little bit (like checkup is not covered by insurance so they didn't charge us for that a couple of times). lol. Yes, I love raw diet too. Everybody compliments on his coat and how soft and healthy/shiny it looks. Keep sending updates as things progress
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 PM

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's good to hear! I remember it all too well! We were going to the vet every 3-4 days. They even stopped charging us for some of the less expensive visits to help us a little bit (like checkup is not covered by insurance so they didn't charge us for that a couple of times). lol. Yes, I love raw diet too. Everybody compliments on his coat and how soft and healthy/shiny it looks. Keep sending updates as things progress
I always get the same comments. People can't believe how big he is for his age and how healthy he is despite the stomach upset. We took him for a walk last night a few hours after he had supper and he did just fine. No diarrhea, and he was walking like a champ most of the time. There was one instance where there were two dogs, both rotweillers and before we even got to them the owner was yelling at us that they didn't want our dog around theirs because they didn't like Shepherds. Now, I'm perfectly fine with abiding by their wishes, and made sure that Ronin was on the other side of me, away from them, with my hand firmly on his leash so that he had very little space to move away from my side. We were in a public park and lots of people were out, and the woman said within my hearing "God I hate Shepherds and sometimes I just wish I could let my dogs go at them." I COULD NOT BELIEVE SHE SAID THAT!!! And I wasn't sure exactly what she meant by it, but we just kept walking. He wasn't growling or barking or trying to get to her dogs, but some people just make me so mad. He's a puppy! I hurried away from her and her dogs very quickly, not trusting her at all! Ronin never so much as looked back at them, and just continued on following me with no problems. I was so proud of him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page