raising your own raw food! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

raising your own raw food!

Hello! I am wondering about the feasibilty of raising your own rabbits and chickens for meat and eggs, to feed your dog a raw diet. Rabbits and chickens can be raised in a fairly small area, and between rabbits for meat, chickens for meat and eggs, it sounds like a great idea. Does anyone do this, or have any thoughts on this? And don't forget about fresh eggs for yourself as well! We have raised large livestock in the past, so the idea of a few chickens and bunnies for butchering is not overwhelming to us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Crowned Member

I think the advantage in that is that you know exactly what you are feeding. But from what I've heard, the cost is much higher.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 11:24 PM
Crowned Member

I have thought about this too. But I cannot bring myself to kill a bunny. I have a client who feeds them guinea piggies (One per meal)
A friend of mine lest out a chicken and the dog immediately kills and eats it so she doesn't have to do it. Can't do that either.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

I can't even think about it. It will never happen, I could not do it. For the first month I would get dizzy and feel sick while separating their already dead food. I can not think about where it comes from. I still have a vision of a trailer I was following and stuck in traffic behind it, it was loaded with cows(adult and babies) they sat there staring at me with those big brown eyes and I had visions of the trailer getting a flat and cows escaping, with me grabbing the baby to save him(he was precious). Of course I knew where they were going and months later I can still see them staring at me. I can't even think about it because I get a pit in my stomach. There is no way I can kill anything or watch my dogs do so.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:03 AM

I spent a bit of time looking into it, too, but from what I've read it's not really that cost effective. Obviously, the exact outcome will vary due to several different things, but for the most part, people who tried it themselves found it to either be about the same, or sometimes even more expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Butters - 10/11/14
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:18 AM

If cost and personal dis-attachment is not an issue, I do not see how it could not be most beneficial in a dietary perspective. People these days are all about grass fed, antibiotic free meats for themselves and many also raise meat or hunt for meat because it is better for you. Why different for your dogs?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:39 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I can't even think about it. It will never happen, I could not do it. For the first month I would get dizzy and feel sick while separating their already dead food. I can not think about where it comes from. I still have a vision of a trailer I was following and stuck in traffic behind it, it was loaded with cows(adult and babies) they sat there staring at me with those big brown eyes and I had visions of the trailer getting a flat and cows escaping, with me grabbing the baby to save him(he was precious). Of course I knew where they were going and months later I can still see them staring at me. I can't even think about it because I get a pit in my stomach. There is no way I can kill anything or watch my dogs do so.
Right there with you, Llombardo. I don't kill things. My meat comes from a store, that's as far as I wish to examine that fact.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Right there with you, Llombardo. I don't kill things. My meat comes from a store, that's as far as I wish to examine that fact.
Hahaha! Your meat comes from a store! That struck me as hilarious! Sorry! I have never butchered anything personally, but I can kind of identify with what you said - our cow would "go to market ", then a couple weeks later, we would drive to the butcher's shop and pick up our meat. The connection between those soulful brown cow's eyes and the meat on my plate was sometimes a difficult one. The advantage in raising my own meat would be in having nice clean organic meat. I have to admit, I am not sure I could butcher something myself! And I cannot imagine watching my shepherd kill his dinner! My son-in-law raises and butchers their own rabbits and chickens, but he is a hunter and hunts for deer also to provide meat for their family. Perhaps I can find a source of chickens here locally in Costa Rica! I haven't seen any rabbit meat here as yet.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:24 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtmill View Post
Hahaha! Your meat comes from a store! That struck me as hilarious! Sorry! I have never butchered anything personally, but I can kind if identify with what you said - our cow would "go to market ", then a couple weeks later, we would drive to the butcher's shop and pick up our meat. The connection between those soulful brown cow's eyes and the meat on my plate was sometimes a difficult one. The advantage in raising my own meat would be in having nice clean organic meat. I have to admit, I am not sure I could butcher something myself! And I cannot imagine watching my shepherd kill his dinner! My son-in-law raises and butchers their own rabbits and chickens, but he is a hunter and hunts for deer also to provide meat for their family. Perhaps I can find a source of chickens here locally in Costa Rica! I haven't seen any rabbit meat here as yet.
I lived on a farm, folks told me that we had to sell the animals to pay for meat. I'm good with that.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:28 AM
Crowned Member

I go to the grocery store for my meat(which isn't often-I eat more chicken and turkey then red meat), but I order grass fed, not enhanced free range stuff for the dogs. I can't even order anything with heads(except fish) and I don't look at the fish either. I would be a good vegetarian, I'm almost there already.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page