Raw Diet for 7wk Caucasian Shepard - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Raw Diet for 7wk Caucasian Shepard

Hello

Bruce is a 7 week Caucasian puppy that I have started to feed raw for a week now. His daily meals consists of the following and hasn't changed much.

6:00 AM - 1 scoop Nan 2 Milk Formula (milk powder for young babies) with about 250ml of water

7:00 AM - Two chicken wings, small kidney, chicken neck and back mix with the fatty chicken layer and a small ball of minced meat (on Tue, Thur and Sundays I throw in ONE egg)

7:00 PM - Chicken neck and back mix with layers, two chicken wings

Is this enough for him? Can I buy regular human multivitamin supplements at the pharmacy and give it to him? What about Seven Seas, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

That's a ton of bone, a balanced diet is mainly consistent with the 80/10/10 rule - 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ (I feed liver and kidney)

So to me you need a lot more meat added

No, do not add human multivitamins. They don't need them

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

OK thanks!

But the milk formula is OK?

Then need to cut back on the chicken wings then and let him stick to the chicken necks.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:52 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

The chicken necks are also very bony - to up your Muscle Meat ratio, you''ll have to add more meaty parts, like thighs, and breasts, or just add the meat in addition to the necks, backs and wings.

Since your puppy has been doing well on chicken, you can start adding other protein sources to his diet. As you continue learning and researching about raw diets, you will see that providing variety in the shape of varied protein sources (from different animals), is very important. Try a bit of ground beef, see how he adjusts, then add a bit of beef organs, etc.

Since you are in Ghana though, please research what parasites meat animals may carry that could be harmful to your puppy. For example, Trichinosis from pork has been virutally eliminated in Canada and the US due to strict regulations in feeding and raising meat pigs, but it can still be present in pigs coming from other areas (or home-raised pigs, for example). Some parasites can be eliminated by freezing the meat for a certain amount of time, at a certain temperature, but you'll have to research this for your area.

This is the first time I have heard of anyone adding milk replacement supplement to their puppies raw diet. Is it Cow's milk based? Dogs cannot digest Cow's milk, and it may cause gastro-intestinal problems. If you adjust your pup's diet as suggested, there should not be any need to add the milk-replacement powder. He'll get all the calcium he needs from the bone in his raw diet, and over-supplementing calcium can cause developmental issues.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot!

Been doing a bit more reading and I think I'm going to cancel out the milk supplement completely. He does do well with hamburger meat though so will just add more of that or possibly just add more chicken meat (breast, thigh, etc) as suggested.

I am also thinking of adding the following supplements...
1x 500mg Vitamin C
1x 400IU Vitamin E
1x 1000mg Salmon Oil

This was what his meal looked like yesterday. I did have to cut down the chicken thigh into two before he could eat the whole thing.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Crowned Member

Organ meat should be about 5% of the diet.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Organ meat should be about 5% of the diet.
Organ meats can be between 5 - 10% (by weight) of the total diet, depending on the raw feeding model. It doesn't have to be an exact figure, can't really go wrong if a person sticks to the 5 - 10 % guideline.

Lucia

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 PM

That pic you posted, ghbroadcast - looks like a well balanced raw meal.

Supplements look fine, though I'd give Vit.E once every few days instead of everyday, as it is an fat soluble vitamin, and overdoses are possible. Not sure what the daily recommended dose is for a young pup, but better to give it less often than too often.

Same with the Vit.C - Though it is water-soluble, and thus no danger of overdosing - dogs, unlike people, can manufacture their own vitamin C, and do not require it directly from their diet (that is why the prey model of raw feeding does NOT include vegetable or fruit). Though adding some Vit. C occasionally won't do any harm, and can help in some specific situations.

But again, with such a young dog, 500mg may be a lot all at once. Maybe break up the Vit. C into smaller bits, and supplement occasionally.

Salmon oil is fine - can't really go wrong with 1000mg once a day.

Lucia

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Your pictures look like a fairly balanced meal with the exception of too much organ meat, which can cause loose stools and nutritional imbalances.

To put it into perspective: If the whole days worth of food is say 1 lb. (for example) then 10% of that would be 1.6 oz. of organ meat. Organ meat portions should be split between liver and secreting organs (kidney, spleen, pancreas. Hearts are considered muscle meat). You can feed a little of each each day or a larger portion once or twice a week. It's balance over time. I find it easiest to give organ every day. Just me. Hope this helps.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 03:47 PM
Knighted Member

Be sure the vitamin c you add doesn't have calcium in it.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page