Raw Feeding For Beginner? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Raw Feeding For Beginner?

As of right now LJ eats Orijen Dry Puppy Food for Large Breed. He eats 2 cups 3 times a day. I know that seems like a lot but he is extremely active and is at a healthy weight so we just go with it. I would like to look into raw feeding but I have no idea what to feed or how much to feed. I would hate to throw off his digestive system. So can I get raw feeding for dummies please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

You may want to purchase a BALANCED commercial raw food for starters while you are researching exactly how to feed raw muscle meat, organs, bone etc., and where to purchase them in your area. Oh, and you'll need an abundance of freezer space for all the "parts"!

You could try a raw food for breakfast and stay on the Orijen for dinner and see how he adjusts.

Here are some prepared raw food companies to look at:
Northwest Naturals Why Northwest Naturals

Primal Complete Raw Diets for Pets: Raw Frozen Formulas

Bravo Raw Dog Food | Best Frozen Raw Diet for Dogs - Bravo Pet Food

Moms
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!! It will be a new experience thats for sure but the way I figure is we already have six children and cook in bulk so if it would be more nutritionally sound for LJ then why not. We do have a deep freezer, however finding the right pricing may be an issue (small town, no butcher shops )

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjackson0902 View Post
Thanks!! It will be a new experience thats for sure but the way I figure is we already have six children and cook in bulk so if it would be more nutritionally sound for LJ then why not. We do have a deep freezer, however finding the right pricing may be an issue (small town, no butcher shops )
Yep, takes a while to get accustom to a new way of feeding and A LOT of reading on this blog and other places to make sure that you do it correctly (balanced) especially for a pup! Ours current GSD's started raw food at three weeks old. They are 7 and 9 years old now!

Good luck! It'll be the best thing for him!
Moms
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
You may want to purchase a BALANCED commercial raw food for starters while you are researching exactly how to feed raw muscle meat, organs, bone etc., and where to purchase them in your area. Oh, and you'll need an abundance of freezer space for all the "parts"!

You could try a raw food for breakfast and stay on the Orijen for dinner and see how he adjusts.

Here are some prepared raw food companies to look at:
Northwest Naturals Why Northwest Naturals

Primal Complete Raw Diets for Pets: Raw Frozen Formulas

Bravo Raw Dog Food | Best Frozen Raw Diet for Dogs - Bravo Pet Food

Moms
Do you know if anywhere is that in Northeast Georgia to buy the raw food already prepared? Northwest Naturals is in Chicago and Primal the closest is in Alabama. I tried to see if they shipped to GA but apparently not.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Crowned Member

There are at least 3 commercially prepared base-mixes for raw (or cooked, your choice) to help you achieve a balanced diet without any fuss or spreadsheets. The Honest Kitchen, Balance IT, and Volhard Nutrition all offer different formulas of base mixes designed to achieve complete, balanced meals with fresh meat added. It makes it very easy.

I have a friend who feeds the Volhard mix + beef, and has for years. Her GSD is healthy and thriving. (It contains some grain [oats]. I can't feed it because it has deydrated chicken liver in the ingredients, and chicken is an allergen for my dog.)

I currently use use the Honest Kitchen's Preference mix + beef. That combo healed a dog with a severe food allergy causing severe GI problems (retal polyps, bloody poop, and worse), and he's in great health now. I don't know anyone using Balance IT but the company is associated with the UC Davis vet school, so it's very reputable.

Here are links:
Volhard Nutrition: Volhard Dog Nutrition
THK: Base Mix | The Honest Kitchen
Balance IT: https://secure.balanceit.com/index.php

ETA: Check with local, independent pet supply retailers about special-ordering THK, Primal, Bravo, etc. Even if they don't stock them, their distributors likely can get them, and most retailers are happy to special order anything their distributors carry. Mine will even get me a case-discount on Bravo if I buy 12 chubs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjackson0902 View Post
Do you know if anywhere is that in Northeast Georgia to buy the raw food already prepared? Northwest Naturals is in Chicago and Primal the closest is in Alabama. I tried to see if they shipped to GA but apparently not.
Foods like this are typically sold at Doggie Boutiques.

NW Naturals store locator: Store Locator

Bravo store locator: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food

Primal store locator: Primal Pet Foods: Store Locator

Pet Supply Plus stores carry Primal and possibly the others.

Considering your location, you may need to purchase "Freeze Dried" from someplace like Dog and Cat Food, Treats, and Supplies | Free Shipping at Chewy.com freeze dried dog food - Free Shipping at Chewy.com

The Honest Kitchen Base Mixes, adding store bought ground meat, is also another great choice (as Magwart mentioned).
It is the ONLY pet food in the USA that the FDA legally allows to use the words "Human Ingredients" on their packaging and advertising! Don't let the price scare you.....a 10 pound box rehydrates to about 35 pounds, but you feed more than dry kibble! LOL

Moms
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I will check all the resources out and see what I can find here. Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 01:12 AM

Thanx all for the useful resourses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page