Overwhelmed with RAW for my puppy, can I get some feedback? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Overwhelmed with RAW for my puppy, can I get some feedback?

My pup comes home in two weeks and I've gotten pretty much everything lined up and ready for her. Just finding a vet and getting her diet figured out is all thats left. There is SO MUCH information I'm feeling overwhelmed.

With my dogs in the past I didn't really know what to get and my dogs honestly didn't seem to mind my choice that much. I realize now that it wasn't the best way to go so with Olive I want to start off on the right path.

I read the intro guide from PreyModelRaw and it's pretty much my plan. I've also talked to the folks at my local Schutzhund club and talked with some a reputable breeder who uses only Raw. She gave me a great connection with TexasTripe.com and recommended the pre-mix.

Texas Tripe has a mix called All Star Bully Mix which is " Made from ground up free range chicken frames, Chicken liver, chicken hearts, Beef muscle meat, and beef liver, with grass fed beef tripe"

They have everything else I could ever really want as well, but I figured a mix like that for a while would be a good start.

She comes home on a thursday, I will probably feed her her night time meal of kibble to just close out the last day.

Her mom looks to weigh 70-75lbs so I was thinking 1.5lbs a day, split into .5 per meal or less if I supplement meal food for training treats .
Week 1&2: Chicken Backs, then quarters.
Week 3&4: Start on the mix.
Week 5&6: Mix in with fish
Week 7&8: Mix in with fish/pork
Beyond: Mix and match..

For Treats I was looking at the Wellness Pure, ZiwiPeak, or just cooking up some liver and/or Bacon.

Supplements wise the feed-sentials stuff gets great reviews on the forum. They have a 3 pack of the Sunday, She-emp, and K9.
Questions:
1. Am I missing anything?
2. Any additional advice or am I on the right path?
3. What about eggs? When should I start those?
4. I see some folks say yes supplements, some say no.. Some say it could be toxic which freaks me out.
5.With your pups/dogs what's your time from meal to bathroom? I live in an apartment so timing will be essential.
6. I'm a single guy with just a bottle of vodka in my freezer, will it be enough space or should I look for a small chest freezer or something?
7. Should I skip her nighttime meal thursday or start her then? I figured feeding her kibble one more time would help with the crazyness of the day.

I think that's it for now, I love this forum, it's been a real help. I appreciate any advice in advance.

PS Heres a pic of Olive at 4 weeks:

And a pic of her mom outside the kennel when I made my visit:
Dennis. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I switched my dog using the PreyModelRaw plan and I didn't have a hitch with it. I also give Archer Feed-Sentials and Sh-Emp Oil, but I just ordered Sunday Sundae and plan on adding in Phyt'n Chance and Power of 3EA's over the next couple months. However, feeding Feed-Sentials, Sh-Emp Oil and Power of 3EA's would be suitable if there aren't additional health concerns. My guy just needs a little extra help, hence the additional supplements. Of course it wouldn't hurt to add in the full line of supplements but it's not super necessary besides the three that I mentioned.

For treats, I use Nature's Variety Instinct kibble, Primal jerky nibs, and some turkey jerky that I baked in the oven. He also can get treats at the vet or from Petsmart cashiers. Some people are lenient with the type of treats that he gets and other people only feed raw-friendly treats, but it's up to you and your dog. Those treats that you listed do look fine though. Other people use hot dogs, cheese cubes, baked meats, etc. Like I said, up to you and your dog's digestive system. In the beginning though, I would probably stay with raw-friendly treats just to make sure it's as "clean" a transition as possible and you can isolate any potential digestive issues.

I'd look at adding in more red meat long-term and make sure that you have a minimum of three proteins. It's recommended that about 50% of the diet minimum comes from red meat (beef, pork, etc). I'm not sure about the percentages of red meat in that bully mix though. Beef heart is my beef staple, but I don't feed more than 25% beef heart in his diet as my vet friend didn't recommend feeding a lot of it to growing large breed puppies.

Eggs are fine to add. I'm planning on reintroducing those to Archer's food as well, although I'm not sure when you would introduce those in the beginning stages of a raw diet. If you can, get local free-range eggs that haven't been chemically washed, so you can feed the whole egg and shell.

If you don't feed grass-fed meats, fish oil is essential. Some people believe that supplements aren't necessary in a balanced raw diet, but I think it's more a personal choice depending on your comfort level with the diet and what your sources are. I personally add the Carmspack line and that's it unless on an as-needed basis (like pumpkin or slippery elm for digestive troubles). On that note, I would recommend purchasing some slippery elm bark powder in case she ever has diarrhea or tummy trouble. Some people also use canned pumpkin but I have found slippery elm to be more beneficial.

I'm afraid I can't help with the meal and bathroom timing. I live in an apartment but I don't pay a ton of attention to the timing though, once he was housebroken and I learned his signals for going out. However, expect her to not drink a ton of water, as raw is very hydrating. And raw digests quicker than kibble.

I buy in bulk because it's cheaper, so a small chest freezer was essential. However, in the beginning transition stages, I wouldn't recommend stocking up until you know what she can eat (some dogs are intolerant of certain proteins). But once you know what she can eat, a chest freezer would be a great investment to save on meat costs.

Feed her the night-time kibble meal and try to space out the kibble meal and raw meal about 12 hours. That's how I switched my puppy and again I didn't have any issues with that transition time.

Also she is adorable!
sterlingmaloryarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome thank you very much. I'm not really sure on eggs, I just read that a bunch of the RAW folks on here we're including them and it seemed an easy addition.

The Texas Tripe stuff say's it's all grass fed so thats good. I'll talk to them about the percentages a bit and can allways mix/match.

I probably will get a freezer eventually, just thought it would be kinda weird in a loft..
Old 11-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you're on Facebook type in the search function 'the raw feeding community', they can help get you started and response time is much faster plus there is probably people in your area who can help you find good deals.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
If you're on Facebook type in the search function 'the raw feeding community', they can help get you started and response time is much faster plus there is probably people in your area who can help you find good deals.
I'm a member of the Raw Feeding Community too and they've also been super helpful, especially for quick responses! The link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/preymodeldiet/
Old 11-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis. View Post
Awesome thank you very much. I'm not really sure on eggs, I just read that a bunch of the RAW folks on here we're including them and it seemed an easy addition.

The Texas Tripe stuff say's it's all grass fed so thats good. I'll talk to them about the percentages a bit and can allways mix/match.

I probably will get a freezer eventually, just thought it would be kinda weird in a loft..
Eggs are nutritious but they're not necessary. If you can get the free-range local eggs, those would be good to add. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother with adding in eggs if you can only get the ones from the grocery store.

I am getting a new chest freezer next week or so and putting it either in my utility room or dining room. Weird, yes. But then again giving my dog raw food is already weird to most people so I guess it's all relative!
Old 11-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My chest freezer is in between my dining room and kitchen and I own a house lol, love it! It's right there and I don't have to haul stuff back and forth.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

We started the Raw last night. She loved the first set but is having a few issues. I may just be a helicopter parent..

My vet didnt know much about RAW and has be a bit worried about puppy nutrients, but I cant find much on the PreyModel site about it. They pretty much go right into Chicken Backs/ Quarters..

Soft stool but I expected that..
Old 11-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Beautiful puppy! Congratulations. I love the Texas Tripe, and I just put in my order for this month today. I have used many of his mixes including the Bully mix, and the dogs love it and do well on it. I can't help with raising a puppy on raw; I chickened out and fed kibble until he was 9 months, but I now wish I had just raised him on raw from the start. There are many experienced people here that have raised puppies on raw so hopefully one of them can comment.
osito23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

bump for info
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.