Input on my raw feeding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Input on my raw feeding?

So I've been feeding Caesar (4 month old) raw foods mixed in for the past month or so.

I still feed him Blue Buffalo Large puppy breed kibble but I lower the portions slightly and give one meal with raw food (usually diner).

My raw food will typically be either ground beef, lamb steaks, or steak chunks for stews but the most common I use are the frozen boneless chicken breasts.

I usually feed it to him frozen since he's teething and he seems to really enjoy the chicken breasts frozen more. (He also struggles in cutting up raw steaks when they're thawed).

He seems maybe slightly fatter than normal (weighs about 31lbs) but nothing overweight. His poops every now and then are loose... it's not diarrhea but it's just... shapeless mushy-poops. No fine well shaped nuggets. Is that a concern?
kabylewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's not recommended to mix kibble and raw because they digest differently

also, if you're feeding raw, you have to have to right ratio of organ meat, bone (never cooked bone!) and muscle meat and offer variety. It's definitely something to do your homework on before you add it so you don't cause a dietary imbalance.

Check out wwwrawdogranch.com or some of the raw feeding facebook groups

Otherwise, there are commercially prepared raw blends available, and it's what I recommend people start out with while they figure it out.

Good luck!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

do a raw meal or a kibble meal but as black said not both together
also you need to add bone meal or bone to the raw and not give straight muscle meat because you will mess up the calcium: phosphorus ratios
that said i would go with straight kibble for a puppy due to the ratios being perfect for a growing puppy
unless you feel very confident that you understand meat to bone ratios and how to add organ meats and what to add then go with straight kibble

imo the shapeless mushy stool is a result of too much muscle meat with no bone or not enough bone / calcium added
Old 09-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

This isn't raw feeding - this is supplementing Kibble with raw meat. Nothing wrong with supplementing kibble, but just giving pork chops or chicken breast is not raw feeding.

You can do one kibble meal/one raw meal a day if you want. But do the raw properly.

You need a ratio of soft edible bones, muscle meat, and organ meat.

As you read through the 'net and other sources, you will find a lot of difference in how much bone, muscle, and organs people feed - but one of the main take-away lessons here is that you NEED to feed a mix of bone, muscle and organ meats.

Feed Chicken WITH the bones. For example a Chicken let quarter and a chicken liver will cover your basics and is a bona-fide raw meal.

Check out the links and book recomendations in the forum's raw section. Read up on raw and get more info on how to do it.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.