bad experience with raw,but going for it again help :/ - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default bad experience with raw,but going for it again help :/

Hello here's a little story ..
Ok so I want to start feeding my 4 month old raw diet once again ..by that I mean I have tried it before when he was like 2 1/2 months old(he was eating kibble with the breeder).it was a really bad experience for us.he got so sick, throw up and really loose I mean loose stool like if he was peeing.insted of solid stool ..so I took him to the vet and spend around $250 to get him back on track all they said was feed him rice with boil chiken we did and he got better ..now im feeding him dry kibble
I've tried everything and he does not eat (just a lil and he walks away )
Tried Blue buffalo wilderness
Chicken recipe
Red meat
Bison
Lamb

Tried Merrick
Duck
Buffalo
And now texas stake
He dose not eat like before,no appetite what so ever I have to force him to eat I need help please
HOW I WAS FEEDING RAW :
First of all I messd up because I switch him instantly to raw. I did not know the process..
I fead him chicken brest, chicken neck,liver and a bit of heart all chicken .ALSO beef stake ,turkey turkey neck
Gave him about
50% chicken breast
35% chiken neck
15% liver and heart :/
The amount I belive I gave him what I thought was enough I say 2 lbs a day 1 in the am and 1 in pm
was that good ??????????

Any of you can tell me how to start again he loved the rawdiet he would devour it lol
Ive read that its healthy and simply better.
Also what else do I add to the diet I mean should I add omega 3 ?vitamins ?if so what vitamins ?

Thanks for taking a minute of your time to read my post ..
Thanks
Victor and Nikko
gsdsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 03:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't think the problem was doing a cold switch. I and many others have done cold switches and had no problem.

It looks like where you messed up was WAY too much liver too soon. I start my dogs out on just muscle meat and bone until they have consistent stool for about a week, then start adding in the liver a little bit to a time until I've worked them up to 10% liver over the course of a week. It sounds like it was just too much way too quickly. When you start this time, don't even add liver or organ until you have consistent stool with just muscle/bone. And then add the organs slowly.

Finally, stick with one protein to start, typically chicken. After you have a good diet going of chicken meat/bone/organ THEN try adding in new proteins slowly and one at a time.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Check out www.rawdogranch.com

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

raw dog ranch is awesome!!

I think your proportions are out. Start with just muscle meat and bone for the first bit and gradually add in organ meat. 15% is too high in organ meat. Stick with one protein for a bit before adding others.

I found this helpful too Bone And Food Values For Raw Feeding Dogs | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Good luck!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Also heart is muscle meat not organ
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax8 View Post
I don't think the problem was doing a cold switch. I and many others have done cold switches and had no problem.

It looks like where you messed up was WAY too much liver too soon. I start my dogs out on just muscle meat and bone until they have consistent stool for about a week, then start adding in the liver a little bit to a time until I've worked them up to 10% liver over the course of a week. It sounds like it was just too much way too quickly. When you start this time, don't even add liver or organ until you have consistent stool with just muscle/bone. And then add the organs slowly.

Finally, stick with one protein to start, typically chicken. After you have a good diet going of chicken meat/bone/organ THEN try adding in new proteins slowly and one at a time.
So should I just feed him chicken meat and chicken neck? or can I buy a whole chicken and give him some meat and bone like drum sticks and back ?
Will it be to much If I ask you for a meal plan example please .
Im just scared that I wont be giving hime enough vitamins or will he be healthy with just raw ??
What do you feed your baby for vitamins ?
I just want a healthy boy and strong bone to prevent hip dysplasia. Thank you very much
Old 08-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
raw dog ranch is awesome!!

I think your proportions are out. Start with just muscle meat and bone for the first bit and gradually add in organ meat. 15% is too high in organ meat. Stick with one protein for a bit before adding others.

I found this helpful too Bone And Food Values For Raw Feeding Dogs | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Good luck!
When do you recommend to start with organ?
And what is best as protine thanks
Ill make sure to chek out that site
Old 08-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

One of my dogs used to not take liver and green tripe well - it will just get runny stools so I avoided that for a while. Try different meat / organs / muscle meat to see what works best for your dog. Also maybe cut down on the organs or muscle meat and see if that suits him better (or none at all to start) and once he's adjusted then slowly increase (and decrease whenever he gets runny stools).

Try raw eggs for variety.

Your dog should be old enough to eat any part of the chickens now so you can buy the whole chicken.

For supplements - an easy one to try is some cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil by the tablespoon (just eyeball it) and put over his food. They sell it cheap at Costco. Sometimes I grind up veggies from my yard for the dogs. They also eat the fruits from my yard - their favorite. My dog picks plums off the tree and strawberries from the patch. They also love bananas. Good to try a variety.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsd View Post
So should I just feed him chicken meat and chicken neck? or can I buy a whole chicken and give him some meat and bone like drum sticks and back ?
Will it be to much If I ask you for a meal plan example please .
Im just scared that I wont be giving hime enough vitamins or will he be healthy with just raw ??
What do you feed your baby for vitamins ?
I just want a healthy boy and strong bone to prevent hip dysplasia. Thank you very much
I mostly did chicken quarters or sections of whole chicken (organs removed) for a couple weeks. So my first couple weeks would be a chicken quarter for breakfast and a chicken quarter for dinner (each was about a pound) and some days he would get a half or quarter of a whole chicken for breakfast/dinner depending on how much the bird weighed. When we had consistent stool for a week or two, I determined how much liver I would need (say 6 ounces) and would add it in an ounce at a time. The first two days of organ would just be an ounce of liver in with regular meals, then two ounces for two days, then three ounces for two days. You can take it slower or faster depending on how your pup does. Mine took a bit of getting used to the liver. Too quick, and I would cause tar poop. So we took it slow and now he can handle a pretty large variation of organ.

Oh, and for supplements, mine gets a garlic flea/tick preventative, fish oil, cold pressed coconut oil, a probiotic, and occasionally some plain yogurt or goat milk. He also gets snacks of different fruits and vegetables. They're not a regular part of his diet, but he loves frozen carrots and apples and mixed berry stuffed Kongs.

Last edited by Pax8; 08-26-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Yea I think too much too soon.

I started my boy with just chicken for two weeks. If you are doing two meals a day then one can be bone in and one bone out...or do both with bone. But to get solid stool I always start with more bone in the beginning. After two weeks with good poo I add turkey (one day turkey next day chicken) if we are still good after two more weeks I add pork, then I continue this way until we've introed all the different meats I plan to feed.

At the end of all this I add organ meat. It's very rich and needs to be done with care and slowly...
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.