Chicken as primary protein - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chicken as primary protein

I've been feeding raw for just about a month. Chicken has been my primary protein, and I haven't incorporated anything else yet. I've given ground turkey a few times and the dogs enjoyed that, but it's cost prohibitive most of the time. I haven't given any organ meat yet, but hope to start giving it soon. My puppy had a little bit of a rough time when I first started with raw, but he has adjusted fine now and absolutely loves it.
Most of his meals are a bone in thigh and a drumstick or two. I also feed leg quarters. He gets 1lb a meal and is fed twice a day. He weights right about 20lbs right now and the vet said he looks great and his weight is perfect. I also try to give an egg once or twice a week. He gets probiotics a few times a week as well.
Is there anything wrong with chicken being the primary protein? I want to start incorporating more turkey soon and then start in with pork hopefully. When it comes to turkey and beef, ground is usually cheaper than bone in here. Is there anything wrong with his red meat being in the form of ground if he's getting bone with his chicken?
I know that supplements are controversial, but should I be feeding fish oil? What about glucosamine and chondroitin? If I'm going to use those supplements, is there any difference between the ones marketed to pets vs human?
Attached Thumbnails
Chicken as primary protein-mojo-down.jpg  
whitbit317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I would take the time to add in organs before other kinds of meat. He will need organs in his meals soon, especially now that he is adjusted to the chicken. Once he's doing well on balanced servings of chicken muscle/bone/organ, then I would look seriously into adding more varied proteins one at a time.

There's nothing wrong with chicken being the primary protein. That's the base of Kaiju's diet because it is cheaper that way, but I do work in a good amount of other meats. His diet right now is probably 50-60% chicken and 40-50% other meats. There's nothing wrong with ground. I find buffalo cheap ground, so that's what he gets. As long as he gets something else that has the bone, like some ground turkey and a bone-in chicken leg, he'll be fine.

Supplements are largely up to you. Personally, I just feed a garlic flea and tick preventative, cold pressed coconut oil, and a little bit of goat milk every now and then. You could do a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, but I like to use natural sources. Any cartilage rich animal parts will have a lot. Kaiju gets a lot of chicken feet and cow/pig snouts that I pick up at the asian markets cheap. Certainly much cheaper than the cost of a supplement! When looking at human supplements for a dog, know how many mg they need of whatever you're looking at because they probably won't be balanced for a dog. Especially fish oils. There are a lot of human fish oils that have too many omega-3's. Too many omega-3's in a dog's diet without enough omega-6's can actually cause inflammation.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Most people's raw diets main ingredient is chicken because it's cheap and convenient.

I know he's a puppy so you start slow but what you are feeding right now is NOT a balanced diet and feeding what you are now over time can do more harm than good. Gotta give the dog more than chicken or turkey. Can't just feed all protein and bones.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Would now be a good time to start introducing chicken organs? I guess organs made me nervous because I keep hearing they are rich and can cause loose stool. I can get chicken liver, gizzard and heart pretty easy and cheap here. Should the organs be given as a seperate meal or mixed with a current meal?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitbit317 View Post
Would now be a good time to start introducing chicken organs? I guess organs made me nervous because I keep hearing they are rich and can cause loose stool. I can get chicken liver, gizzard and heart pretty easy and cheap here. Should the organs be given as a seperate meal or mixed with a current meal?
Yes! Chicken organs need to be added in now. Figure out how many ounces he needs to have 10% organ in his daily diet. Then add in a little bit at a time, working up to 10% liver. If his stool gets loose, back off a bit and wait for it to get solid, then increase until you're at 10% organ with no issues. I feed organ in with regular meals, usually in one of my dog's two meals.

Another thing is liver is the only important organ of what you listed. Heart and gizzard are considered muscle meats. Organ for prey model raw is secreting organs - liver, kidney, spleen, testes, etc. But start with liver first.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you! I'll start adding in the liver know and see how we do. I really like feeding raw and love the way it has my dogs looking. Their coats look great and it's already helped with my older dog's teeth.
I haven't tried feeding and RMB because my guy is still little, I had read it's best to wait until he has his adult teeth, is this the case or have I been misled here as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.