New pup ...kibble/raw - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New pup ...kibble/raw

I get my new puppy tomorrow. I have already purchased Orijens large breed puppy grain free food. I want her diet to have a lot of raw food as well. I'm just not able to commit 100% to the raw at this time. Do you think it would be wise to first switch her to my kibble versus what the breeder has had her on. Then once she is on that and settled in her new home then start adding raw?? She will already be getting raw beef livers for training treats and stuff like that. I just hate to throw too many new things on her for fear of not knowing what's bothering her if she has any adverse reaction. Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Alena Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 05:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I know with raw, they only need a little bit of organ meat (especially liver) each day when fully grown, so for a pup, you probably don't want to feed her too many of those treats daily. What's keeping you from going 100% raw? Sounds like you might want to do it down the road. Just wanting to see if I can help you around any obstacles. I've been feeding my 4 dogs exclusively on raw for 4 years. Before we were on raw, we used Orijen, along with Innova EVO, Wellness CORE and Acana.

What does the breeder have her on? Orijen is one of the top kibbles out there based on my experience, so I would say yes, transition to that as soon as possible if you can't commit to raw.

Hope I can help!
Sir BEOWULF the Brave {male Siberian Husky | Wolf}
counter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter View Post
I know with raw, they only need a little bit of organ meat (especially liver) each day when fully grown, so for a pup, you probably don't want to feed her too many of those treats daily. What's keeping you from going 100% raw? Sounds like you might want to do it down the road. Just wanting to see if I can help you around any obstacles. I've been feeding my 4 dogs exclusively on raw for 4 years. Before we were on raw, we used Orijen, along with Innova EVO, Wellness CORE and Acana.

What does the breeder have her on? Orijen is one of the top kibbles out there based on my experience, so I would say yes, transition to that as soon as possible if you can't commit to raw.

Hope I can help!

Thanks! Honestly it's just not as easy as dumping food in a bowl. I know that may sound lazy and you don't know me but if you did you would know that that's not who I am. Truth is I make most of my family's food from scratch I own my own business and I'm just busy. Also I will be spending a lot of time with the dog but will be relying on other members of my family as well so I just want to avoid putting too many things on my plate. Thanks for mentioning that about the organ meet I didn't even consider giving her too many from treats. I leave to get her in an hour!! I will probably get her settled in the house and then start adding raw. Two weeks after we get her we leave town for three days and I have a couple staying here to watch her. I will probably start after that. Thanks!

Alena Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alena Gonzalez View Post
Thanks! Honestly it's just not as easy as dumping food in a bowl. I know that may sound lazy and you don't know me but if you did you would know that that's not who I am. Truth is I make most of my family's food from scratch I own my own business and I'm just busy. Also I will be spending a lot of time with the dog but will be relying on other members of my family as well so I just want to avoid putting too many things on my plate. Thanks for mentioning that about the organ meet I didn't even consider giving her too many from treats. I leave to get her in an hour!! I will probably get her settled in the house and then start adding raw. Two weeks after we get her we leave town for three days and I have a couple staying here to watch her. I will probably start after that. Thanks!

Oh, I hear ya! I know feeding kibble saves a ton of time. I'm "perfecting" my craft of feeding raw, and it takes me nearly 45 minutes to prepare 4 bowls of raw meat with all of the supplements and oils. So I'm right there with you on how much time is saved feeding kibble. I was thinking maybe it was a financial thing. That's usually the #1 complaint when researching raw versus kibble. It was for me too. I switched to raw for about 10 months, until we rescued our 3rd dog, Beowulf, and when we did the match for the next 3 years of feeding raw, it was going to cost us $10,000. We don't have that kind of money, so we switched back to kibble until I figured out how to feed raw cheaper than kibble per pound. That's when I was able to switch back, and they've been on raw ever since. I figured that, if your hurdle was finances, I could try to tell you what we had to do to overcome it.

Good luck!
Sir BEOWULF the Brave {male Siberian Husky | Wolf}
counter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.