German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppies/Raw Diets (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/)
-   -   Loose stool after first raw feeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/461761-loose-stool-after-first-raw-feeding.html)

whitbit317 06-18-2014 06:49 PM

Loose stool after first raw feeding

I'm sure this is just part of his body getting used to a different feeding, but this afternoon I fed a small chicken quarter and my 9 week old pup ate it with gusto. His last two BM have been very loose. Do I need to go back to feeding kibble and give him a slow adjustment? I did pull the skin off since I had heard that sometimes gives problems. He really seemed to enjoy it. I did feed his kibble this morning and had wanted to continue that if possible. He gets Merrick grain free. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

lalachka 06-18-2014 06:50 PM

id keep going. sometimes they need time to adjust. maybe give a little more bone, like necks or wings. bone constipates them.

but i wouldn't go back to kibble. it's all a preference though

Pax8 06-18-2014 06:51 PM

You could also add a bit of pumpkin along with the chicken.

Sunflowers 06-18-2014 06:55 PM

Feed a couple of chicken necks and some muscle meat. If soft stool, add a bit more bone.

Mixing kibble with raw doesn't work for many, because they digest differently.

lauren43 06-18-2014 07:01 PM

Going back and forth between kibble and raw esp with a puppy is bound to cause diarrhea. Pick a meat source and stick with it for 2 weeks. I like chicken, but perhaps quarters are too meaty. I would def look for necks, although I would worry that chicken necks are too small, though if your pup isn't a gulper they may work. I prefer turkey necks, less of a choking hazard.

Sunflowers 06-18-2014 07:02 PM

Turkey necks for a 9-week-old?

lauren43 06-18-2014 07:04 PM

My 6lb chi chokes on chicken necks. They make me nervous in general.

Sunflowers 06-18-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauren43 (Post 5660057)
My 6lb chi chokes on chicken necks. They make me nervous in general.

It's a Chihuahua :) You can't equate a Chihuahua with a GSD.

whitbit317 06-18-2014 07:09 PM

Today was his first experience with bones and he didn't seem to be gulping at all. He took about 30-40min to finish the quarter. He seemed to be taking his time with the bones and chewing really good. I don't know that that would be the case with smaller bones, but he seemed ok. Pumpkin has worked for him in the past, he had an enema the first day I had him due to something that happened before I got him and it helped him firm back up after that, I'll give it a try. He had a kibble meal of 3/4cup at around 0830 and the chicken quarter was given around 1230 or so. Was that too close together? I don't know if taking him completely off kibble is an option because he is babysat by my mother when I work and she is against raw and probably wouldn't be willing to feed it. Should I just stick to kibble then instead of trying to mix?

lauren43 06-18-2014 07:11 PM

But you can equate the size of the dog. Have you ever had a puppy choke on a chicken neck? If not then I'd say you were lucky, and you haven't had the scares I have. Perhaps they just eat different, IDK. My 60 pit mix could eat a chicken neck because he was a very careful chewer, but if you have a gulper I would not recommend them no matter the size of the dog. Duck necks are an even better option.