New to Raw - conflicting info - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to Raw - conflicting info

I started feeding my 11 month old male 1 week ago and have already noticced an improvemenr in coat and energy levels. In trying to be informed I have read several books and articles. There is conflicting data on the use of supplements. One source has a list as long as my arm and the next says none so long as RMB and organs are fed. One says yogurt amd cottage cheese are good and another says no dairy in any form. I can not believe it has to be so difficult. A wild animal has no "supplements". Any tips would be much appreciated, Thank You!
Jbartlett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I give some dairy...yogurt every few days. I've given cottage cheese as well, but not on a regular basis. My dogs can handle it just fine. Some dogs may have more sensitive gut and can't handle it.
As far as vitamin supplements I give C(1000mg) and fish oil(2000mg). Vitamin e(400iu) with mixed trocopherols every few days. Feeding raw isn't as difficult as some make it out to be.
Green tripe is a daily staple, it has many nutritional benefits, probiotics and digestive enzymes. Eggs are part of the dogs diet too and contain vitamin E.
Specific supplements for individual dogs may be needed.
I used tumeric for help with inflammation management w/ my older female. There are many herbs that are beneficial for managing certain conditions.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

We are doing probiotics, coconut oil, neddle/dandelion, local honey, fish oil
Our girl loves cottage cheese, yogurt, milk etc no issues there.
We give her some fruits and veggies too. Sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, blueberries, banana . . .

Our biggest issue is we are worried she is developing an allergy to chicken.
AnyaGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

AnyaGSD, regarding the possible chicken allergy, you may want to explore whether it is the chicken meat or the skin. We fed our Gracie raw for 8.5 years, and in her case it was the skin on the chicken she couldn't handle. Meat and bones were fine. Just a thought.
graciesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I started out using only salmon oil/coconut oil and raw eggs. Discovered my girl has many food sensitivities. She can't have fish/salmon oils anymore. She stopped eating coconut oil. She started refusing eggs, too.
Her diet was changed to only included proteins she was tolerant of and only rice or potatoes where allowed in treats. No other grains of any kind.

After those changes, for a few weeks she seem so much better. Her coat was great and she was shiny and looked good. Stopped the insane itching. After a couple more weeks she got very dry, flaky skin. She started itching more. And, worse she got very picky about food again and loosing weight.

I found dog appropriate dosage of krill oil and one of the members here gave me a recipe for homemade vitamin supplement. I started that a week ago and can already see an improvement. Her skin is getting less flaky. Her coat is getting shinier. She is actually eating better.

I don't know exactly what vitamin/mineral she was deficient in but the supplements seem to be helping in my case.

IMHO if you can not source range free, grass fed, organic sources of food then supplements are likely needed. The nutrient value of todays mass market gmo grain fed meats are not the same as the free range meats as our grandfathers.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

" I can not believe it has to be so difficult."

Agreed.....they take a prey model raw diet and then add a bazillion supplements.

I'm in the camp of keeping it simple and if the dog shows any signs of dietary problems, I'll find out if any supplements might help.

It does seem like too many people add a ton of supplements to a basic raw diet...chances are much of the additional supplements are not needed but bring peace of mind to the owner.....I'm guilty as well on occasion but getting better as time goes by.

You should be the best judge as to whether your dog is flourishing from it's diet.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well balanced raw, some oils ( sunflower, hemp, evening primrose, coconut) and Feedesntials are all you need.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I never fed dairy, or fruits and veggies. I do think *some* of these items have added value but are not necessary in my opinion. Just stick with meat, bones, and organs and you'll be good to go (as long as the dog has no sensitivities).. I liked adding eggs and fish oil as well.
lauren43 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

If using free range, what are you paying per pound?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for your answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.