German Shepherds Forum banner

Raw basics?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  StingRay 
#1 ·
Is there a place here to go to get the basics if I have no idea about raw?

I have a 3.5 yo 65 lb female with many sebaceous cysts but not other known issues. She is on kibble.

We just added an 8 week 16 lb male who came to us on a raw diet.

If I am ever going to consider raw, now is the time. But I don't know anything about it at all.

Do I need to add something to the muscle, organ, bone/sinew base? Vitamins, minerals, etc?

TIA.

#2 ·
Congrats on he new pup! :)

As far as supplements and feeding "extras" go, you'll find many differing opinions, all with good reasoning behind them. Read what you can, and make the choices you're comfortable with.

I highly recommend reading through the RAW feeding forum posts here, as well as visiting rawdogranch.com. They were both immensely helpful before I took the plunge into raw!

Remember - NEVER be afraid to ask questions. The raw community as a whole has always (in my experience) been more then ready to help anyone - especially "newbies!"

#3 ·
Raw Diet For Dogs: The Basics

DogAware.com Articles: Homemade Raw Diets for Dogs

Switching to a Raw Diet

Raw Feeding FAQ

Raw Fed Dogs

There is a wealth of information available to help you with your education regarding feeding your dogs a raw diet.

Supplementing a raw diet is a hotly debated topic as those who feed their dog's a "prey model" diet would scoff at the idea of supplementing....while there are others who feel it is best to supplement. I take the view of trying some of both and seeing what works best for your dogs. Once you begin this new approach to your dog's diet, I believe you will become the best person to determine what is most appropriate for your dog's well-being.

I think it is very wise of you to have the attitude you have taken and feel the need to educate yourself on the process rather than just throwing a pork chop to your dogs and feeling you have done the best you can do...so ask away and I am sure many folks will be more than happy to describe their experiences, successes, failures and "recipes" for a raw diet which hopefully you will be able to cull through and come up with the best diet for your dogs.

Personally, I think you are making a wonderful choice and if you continue with your research, you will find your dogs will greatly benefit from your time and effort.

SuperG

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I feel a little unsure I can do this *well* right now, so I think I will shelf it and revisit it after ample time to research.

In the mean time, marrow bones seem like a good teether and a diet win. Is that the case? Should I give RMBs instead as a treat?

#5 ·
Marrow bones are okay as far as recreational bones....the marrow is good as well...but too much marrow and you might notice a softer stool.

Weight bearing bones from adult sources can be problematic at times as they can be very hard and might cause problems with your dog's dental work. If it's just a bone to give to the dog and let them work on the marrow..and you somewhat monitor and take away if they try to break the bone down...you should be okay.

Try some other non-weight bearing bones....like neck or tail. Or if you can source smaller animal bones like calf or lamb, those should work well.

If you choose the RMBs, feed those at a separate time well after they have digested their kibble.

I think you are smart taking the time to research first. Once you have that done and start feeding raw, I have a strong suspicion you will see a notable difference in your dogs' well-being.

SuperG

#8 ·
#7 ·
Chicken is generally a good bone for a beginner dog or for puppies. I stay away from weight bearing bones for any meal. I know some people use certain ones recreationally, but I prefer elk antlers - the possibility of broken teeth is too iffy for me. As always, do what you're comfortable with.

I use a lot of chicken leg quarters and thighs for my 30lb dog. I use chicken as my base for most meals because its easy to find at an affordable price for me. I add organs, green tripe, and other muscle meats to fill out her meals. I've heard many people also like lamb for beginner dogs/puppies, but I steer clear because my dog gets gassy with any lamb/mutton.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.