Raw diets factory farmed or humane raised? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Raw diets factory farmed or humane raised?

Not sure if raw diet dog food usually factory farmed or humane raised. Would be nice to have a combination for cows, chickens, pigs to live full lifes and humane raised. Still have meat for people and animal companions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

A lot of people make the rounds of small scale humane farmers and get dog scraps or get the parts of venison that people don't want. That is my intent when I have time and inclination to restart raw.

I don't have an issue with hunting deer done humanely. (IOW if you are going to kill a deer you need to be a skilled enough shot to drop it quickly). They are overpopulated and short of natural predators.

As, is for now....in my kibbles ...I try to avoid chicken (because it is fed a lot of GMO corn an, in general, seems not the greatest)....and feed fish based food and find sources with grass-fed livestock......which to me is more humane and nutritious.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It just depends on where you get the meat from. The pre- processed raw that comes in logs, vs getting whole cuts from your local butcher, vs buying meat from the supermarket, etc. Around here organic livestock farming is BIG, so it's really easy to purchase bulk meat directly from farmers who humanely raise and slaughter their animals. Shouldn't be hard to figure out where the meat comes from if you do a little research on a particular source.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I don't know if it is the same everywhere but processed Venison cannot be sold in our state. The kibble Venison comes from Australia. Most of the folks I know who feed deer are hunters or have connections with same. But you definitely need a good sized freezer when you do that.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I feed only humanely raised (grass-fed/free-range/wild-caught) meats and average $3.10/lb with shipping. If I fed chicken or found a local farm that supplied what I needed it would be even cheaper. I don't think that's unreasonable. I am a vegetarian and prefer to purchase humanely raised animals. There are also added health benefits such as the meat is higher in Omega 3, rather than Omega 6 like factory farmed animals.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Petfood express would have locally humane raised meats right? I guess won't hurt to ask if their are fish raw diets. Trying to not harm the environment either. ** OT and political. Comments removed by
admin**
Old 05-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
A lot of people make the rounds of small scale humane farmers and get dog scraps or get the parts of venison that people don't want. That is my intent when I have time and inclination to restart raw.

I don't have an issue with hunting deer done humanely. (IOW if you are going to kill a deer you need to be a skilled enough shot to drop it quickly). They are overpopulated and short of natural predators.

As, is for now....in my kibbles ...I try to avoid chicken (because it is fed a lot of GMO corn an, in general, seems not the greatest)....and feed fish based food and find sources with grass-fed livestock......which to me is more humane and nutritious.
@jocoyn

Found turkey and sardine raw diet food at Petfood Express. Unfortunately, all of those bags of raw diet is expensive 20-30 bucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.