German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppies/Raw Diets (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/)
-   -   Dog Diet raw over vegan (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/448481-dog-diet-raw-over-vegan.html)

Lobobear44 05-10-2014 01:14 AM

Dog Diet raw over vegan

I am tired of feeding my dog vegan food. My sister has been controlling us for a year time to stop it. Perhaps it will be a good idea to ask the vet first about though. However, gotta brace the extreme drama action my sister is going bring in. Also will get a German shepherd which she and the AR group will be in the way of.

glowingtoadfly 05-10-2014 09:33 AM

Is Dante a German shepherd? You want two?

Anubis_Star 05-10-2014 12:03 PM

Canine's are not herbivores they are carnivores. If your sister can't stand to feed meat she needs to get a pet rabbit

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jocoyn 05-10-2014 12:05 PM

I would really not be so in your face to feed raw in your home if everyone is a Vegan. How about a quality kibble? There are plenty out there.

Magwart 05-10-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5499753)
I would really not be so in your face to feed raw in your home if everyone is a Vegan. How about a quality kibble? There are plenty out there.

I agree re kibble! I would go a step further and recommend that you use a fish-based kibble -- many vegan cat-owners I know have gone this route. They tell me that they find fish is the "least objectionable" option, and this choice respects the cat's essential dietary needs. They wish it weren't necessary, but since it is, they make the choice they find easiest to live with.

You can find some really outstanding fish-based kibbles (Fromm and Taste of the Wild are good exampels). Fish-based kibble has been the kibble of choice for many GSDs I've known--they tend to do very well on it (better than on chicken or lamb kibble).

Fish is lower on the food chain than beef or pork, and in some ways better for the environment than factory-farmed chicken. Whitefish, for example, tends to be a very common, inexpensive ocean fish--not farmed like salmon. While it won't eliminate the vegan concern, it's a fair compromise that respects concerns regarding poor treatment of cows, pigs, and chickens in factory farms.

Take a look at Fromm's Whitefish & Potato kibble. Or at a lower price point, Diamond Naturals Whitefish & Sweet Potato. Costco also sells a grainfree housebrand called Nature's Domain that's a fish-and-sweet-potato product made by Diamond (with ingredients similar to Diamond Naturals).

A decent fish-based kibble will be WAY better for the dogs than vegan food. Perhaps this route may be a respectful compromise allowing you to avoid some drama.

jocoyn 05-10-2014 01:18 PM

Taste of the Wild and Nutrisource also sell nice fish based / chicken free kibbles.
I would make any change very slowly as this dog is used to eating a vastly different diet.
Just curious, how healthy is he?

SuperG 05-10-2014 01:40 PM

Imposing a human lifestyle/health choice regarding diet upon a dog which defies logic seems selfish and lacking in research. If I could find enough evidence to support a vegan diet as the best for my dog's health and well being .....I'd be feeding my dog a vegan diet.

I apologize if I sound rude but it just seems so unnatural to do this to a dog.

SuperG

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 05-10-2014 02:02 PM

What about feeding humanely raised meat or finding a kibble with free range meats and wild caught fish?

Alena Gonzalez 06-04-2014 08:29 AM

Dog Diet raw over vegan

Vegan....NO NO NO!!!high protein, grain Free!! Animals are not people!! They were made to be meat eaters as far as between raw or dry kibble that is going to depend on your pocketbook and the amount of time. I would go with Fromm Tunalini

Alena Gonzalez 06-04-2014 08:31 AM

Dog Diet raw over vegan

I can only image how bag a vegan diet would be for a dog. Their whole digestive system and teeth. Do you have any supporting information on such an extreme diet ?