Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South Jersey, USA
I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in here.. but the idea is that it doesn't matter if there's bacteria in the raw if it's given alone because it digests so quickly. In other words, it's "safe" because it moves through the digestive system so fast that the bacteria doesn't have time to take hold.
Kibble is designed to stay in the digestive system longer so that more of the nutrients can be leeched out.
The problem with mixing is that you then have raw in the system as long as the kibble, which can give the bacteria enough time to take hold and cause problems.
It's probably not something you'd notice every time you feed your dog(s), so the "my dog handles it fine right now" thing isn't really relevant.. it's more of a "if there IS something wrong/funky with the raw food you're feeding, you're giving it the opportunity it needs to cause problems" situation.
Ideally, if you're going to do both, do raw at one feeding and kibble at another.
Last edited by JakeInJersey; 04-10-2014 at 12:09 PM.