German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppies/Raw Diets (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/)
-   -   Defrosting raw (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/435369-defrosting-raw.html)

Stellastrong14 04-08-2014 12:02 PM

Defrosting raw

So, I picked up a bag of raw north east naturals. I wanted to know if you guys thought it was ok to defrost the next day meal in the frig. How long do you let your frozen raw food thaw out for. Just worried about salmonella. Thanks

Gretchen 04-08-2014 12:30 PM

In general it is recommended to thaw out all foods in the refrigerator. Except the shrimp I buy can be thawed under cold running water if I am going to use immediately.
If you have concerns, I'd get a thermometer for the fridge. After our last refrigerator started to make weird noises, I'd realized there was a day or two when it wasn't maintaining safe temperatures to prevent spoilage.

Wild Wolf 04-08-2014 12:53 PM

Been feeding raw for years, and I leave it out on the counter during the day until it is mostly thawed then put it in the fridge until meal time. Never had an issue. Thawing in the fridge takes way too long.

lhczth 04-08-2014 01:08 PM

Same here. Thaw things over night and refrigerate when thawed.

Stellastrong14 04-08-2014 02:22 PM

Awesome! Thank you everyone!

SuperG 04-08-2014 02:33 PM

My brother in law's dog will sometimes take a partially eaten raw meaty bone and hide it in his backyard.....gets it a day or two later... meat on bone looks disgusting...dog eats the rest...dog is 15...

I do not believe the thawing process of food has any effect on salmonella bacteria.

From Oklahoma State University regarding where the salmonella bacteria comes from.

"Salmonella are spread from fecal material of all kinds of animals. Animals pick up the bacteria from the soil or perhaps
from contaminated processed feed. The organisms then live
in the intestinal tract of the host and may or may not have an
effect on the animal. As food animals are slaughtered and
processed, there are times when some of the bacteria from
the intestines have the opportunity to contaminate the end products."

SuperG

Saphire 04-08-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 5344113)
Same here. Thaw things over night and refrigerate when thawed.

This..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

volcano 05-09-2014 04:05 AM

My take on the food safety- its for restaraunts who may hold food for long times. I see no problem with running hot water over a piece of chicken if its about to be eaten. There arent bacteria fast enough for 1 hour of warmth to matter. But if you thawed it out like that and then put it back in the fridge that would lead to trouble. I do bleach the sink if ive defrosted in there.

graciesmom 05-09-2014 11:39 AM

The pre-made frozen raw that I have comes in 3 pound chubs. I used to take it out and leave it on the counter to thaw overnight or place it in a large Ziploc and thaw in cold water in the sink. The only problem was that once thawed this way, the consistency was too mushy. So now, I take it out and place on the counter only until the outer sides are thawed, still frozen in the middle, and place in the refrigerator. Then by the time I take it out for supper it is just thawed. Result, no mushy. Jazz seems to like it better this way. Oh, and because she is my nibbler, I have found that mixing a bit of canned salmon with it works to have her finish it in a more timely fashion.

MustLoveGSDs 05-09-2014 11:51 AM

When I feed raw I keep 2-3 days worth at a time thawing in the fridge.