Raw meat blocks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Raw meat blocks

So im planning on feeding my puppy a Raw diet. And I know this place that sells these big frozen blocks of raw ground up meat pieces. Its also labled raw dog food. So is this stuff okay for a puppy to have? Also what else should I mix in with the raw meat? And last question, how much kibble would I use with the meat if any? And let's just say I start transferring to raw at about 12 weeks of age or so.
Germanshepherdlover2507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

2-3% of expected adult weight. No kibble. Just switch. Why blocks of mix? Why not raw meat?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

The blocks are completely raw.
So then I shouldnt give him any kibble with the raw meat? And what kind of veggies do you recommend that I give him with his food?
Germanshepherdlover2507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You can feed blueberries, kale, apple etc. Basically anything that isn't toxic to dogs.

Is there ground bone in it? You need to make sure there's bone, and you will want to add 5% organ meat, some fish oil and Vit E
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you feel compelled to give the pup kibble besides the raw...I have heard it is not good to mix the two...separate meals if you must.....

Blacksheps %'s sound good...I might up the organ to 10% but keeping no more than half of it liver....too much liver = runs, I believe....heart does not count as organ meat.... Organ meats such as spleen, brain, kidney, eyeballs, ovaries, testicles, liver (especially liver) or any other secreting organ should also be included.

If there is no bone in the blocks you can either find bones which are suitable for your puppy or just use bonemeal constituting 10% of the overall diet. I do not think it is imperative to ensure that the dog gets theses %s on a daily basis...more an overall blend during a time period.

The meat you described sounds just fine for your pup ask if there is anything else ground up in their product....bone, organ..etc.

Here's an excerpt from Billinghurst's thoughts

Weigh your dog to learn how much raw food to feed each day. The amounts of ingredients in raw food diets are based on weight. Dr. Ian Billinghurst, a veterinarian who advocates raw diets for dogs, suggests feeding amounts that equate to between 2 to 3 percent of a dog's body weight, or about 1/2 lb. of food per 25 lbs. (11.3 kg) of body weight. Puppies should be fed no more than 10 percent of their body weight or 2 to 3 percent of their ideal ADULT body weight. Remember that more active dogs will eat more than a lazy dog. Most raw feeders use this guide:
  • Approx. 80% muscle meat with fat
  • Approx. 10% Organs
  • Approx. 10% Raw meaty bones. (also give raw meaty bones as treats throughout the week).
  • Green tripe can make up 15% to 18% of overall diet.
  • Eggs Once a week, preferably raw, the white and the yolk.
  • Feeding these proportions isn't required everyday, but instead can be balanced out throughout each month. Variety is the key.
Most dogs make an overnight switch: one night its kibble for dinner, the next day they have a Raw breakfast. You can do this too. Others need a fasting period of 1-2 days- never do this longer than one MEAL with puppies. Do not mix kibble and raw, as the time it takes to digest kibble is far longer than it takes to digest raw -sometimes resulting in a stomach upset. Canned organic 100% pumpkin is great to have on hand to regulate any digestive upsets.

Good luck, let us know how it goes !!

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

So then absolutely no kibble and raw meat together and just start feeding raw food the next meal?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Yup

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

What is in the blocks? If it's a mixture of things, what percentages are they?
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlover2507 View Post
So then absolutely no kibble and raw meat together and just start feeding raw food the next meal?

I'd give that a go.

Oh, pups can certainly manage chicken and turkey necks to help get their requirement of bone as well. I believe you can count chicken necks up to 30% of the overall blend since they are not solid bone. " A chicken neck is the smallest and shortest readily available bone type. This may be an option for any size dog, providing you observe your dog's bone-eating pattern. If your dog tries to gulp down the bone whole, than it is not an option."

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I'd give that a go.

Oh, pups can certainly manage chicken and turkey necks to help get their requirement of bone as well. I believe you can count chicken necks up to 30% of the overall blend since they are not solid bone. " A chicken neck is the smallest and shortest readily available bone type. This may be an option for any size dog, providing you observe your dog's bone-eating pattern. If your dog tries to gulp down the bone whole, than it is not an option."

SuperG
What if a small bone gets stuck on the puppy's throat tho?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.