German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppies/Raw Diets (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/)
-   -   Considering raw (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/402866-considering-raw.html)

mommanomma 01-28-2014 01:27 AM

Considering raw

Right now my 2 month old is on purina puppy but I've been seeing bad reviews all over the place. I plan on changing his diet to a better brand food but the raw diet is really intriguing. What are some suggestions? I have half a bag left to make a decision.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Harry and Lola 01-28-2014 03:53 AM

Use your 1/2 bag to phase in another, rather than just stopping suddenly and then starting on something new. By combining the 2 you are slowly introducing a new product to your pup with the result being no or minimal diarrhoea, tummy upsets etc.

From what I can remember Purina is an average brand, there are other better brands to choose from but this does depend on your budget. Look for one with 'meal' as the first ingredient, eg chicken meal, salmon meal etc.

If you are interested in raw, again I would slowly phase this into pups diet. I do raw in the evenings (used to be morning but can't face raw meat at this hour anymore LOL) and grain free kibble soaked in water for 20 minutes in the morning.

With puppies and raw, start with one protein at a time eg chicken necks, wings, carcass etc.

Also, consider switching to adult version of your chosen kibble - grow your puppy slowly

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Xena9012 01-28-2014 05:39 AM

Just saw this post

Sold on raw now

Sounds like the puppies were much better when 'bibaxt' changed to raw.
I would also try Eukanuba. It is a bit more expensive but is a premium food so it is better quality. My puppy loves it. As 'Harry and Lola' said make the change gradual, you don't want to upset your puppies stomach.

blackshep 01-28-2014 08:16 AM

I tried raw because my pup had food sensitivities and I will never go back to kibble. I'd try it out. There is lots of info on this site to help you switch over.

Every one of my friends that I convinced to try raw has stuck with it too. It's a little more work, but I think the payoff is huge.

Make sure you're feeding the right things and balancing it properly.

This is a great source of info: Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch

The links for puppies is under construction though, I think. But it's all good info.

lhczth 01-28-2014 11:27 AM

All puppies I have bought since I switched to raw went to raw the day they arrived. No slow transition. I did, though, feed them ground for the first while since I found it easier for them to digest until their systems were used to dealing with the bones.

Do your research and the Raw Dog Ranch site is a good one. There are others plus some raw feeding groups through Yahoo and also on FB.

mommanomma 01-28-2014 12:40 PM

I talked to my husband about it and he isn't on board with the raw diet. His opinion is that we would be doing raw if he were to compete in championships and stuff like that but since he's a family pet that we will just buy a better brand. I believe we are going to go with eukanuba (sp?)

boomer11 01-28-2014 01:27 PM

Eukanuba is no where close to premium. My advice is if you can buy it at Walmart then it's low quality.

If you do go raw then just feed it. No need to transition.

blackshep 01-28-2014 02:07 PM

Feeding raw has nothing to do with being a pet or being a competition dog. My dog is just a pet and I feed raw because she is healthier on it.

You might look at Orijen or Acana if you have to feed kibble.

mommanomma 01-28-2014 02:18 PM

Idk about you but I can't find eukanuba at any Walmart where I'm at. I plan On going to a pet store later today to see what options I have and search for a crate. I can't make any purchases till next week but I'm definitely going to go with a better brand food so thank you for the suggestions.

A girl and her dog 01-28-2014 02:40 PM

I just got my GSmix pup and switched him right away to raw. He had no trouble with it at all. I also have a year-old Chi and he's been raw-fed since he was about three months old- that's when I first learned of the raw diet.

I love raw feeding! It really is healthier for them. The benefits for us humans are less shedding, less 'doggy' smell, no foul breath, smaller and less frequent bm's; just a cleaner and healthier animal all around. The benefits for them: less allergies, less skin irritation, minimal eye watering (Chi's are really bad for this and mine doesn't water at all), clean strong healthy teeth, and the mental stimulation and enjoyment they get out of meals, especially boney meals. If I could switch my cat over to raw I would. Actually, I'm working on him too :)