How Expensive Is Raw Feeding A GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How Expensive Is Raw Feeding A GSD?

I have an 18 lb beagle & it's only like...$13 a month to feed him. Not bad at all. But I know GSDs weight 4x as much, but I'm hoping it doesn't cost 4x as much?! Where does everyone get their meat from?
msnorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorth View Post
I have an 18 lb beagle & it's only like...$13 a month to feed him. Not bad at all. But I know GSDs weight 4x as much, but I'm hoping it doesn't cost 4x as much?! Where does everyone get their meat from?
2-3 pounds a day....variance either way.

I get my meat about 120 miles away....but it's worth the drive.

SuperG
SuperG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

no more expensive than a bag of the best quality kibble. around 80 bucks once you get into a routine and find the same people to buy from. its a bit more time consuming than just dumping kibble in a bowl but the trade off to me is worth it. my dog never misses a meal and i like the less shedding and shiny teeth and best of all, smaller amounts of poop.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
no more expensive than a bag of the best quality kibble. around 80 bucks once you get into a routine and find the same people to buy from. its a bit more time consuming than just dumping kibble in a bowl but the trade off to me is worth it. my dog never misses a meal and i like the less shedding and shiny teeth and best of all, smaller amounts of poop.
So I don't buy the best quality kibble.... So I'm not sure how much that would be. $80 per week? per month?

How much do you feed a day per dog and how much per pound does it cost?
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
So I don't buy the best quality kibble.... So I'm not sure how much that would be. $80 per week? per month?

How much do you feed a day per dog and how much per pound does it cost?
lol 80 dollars a week would be insane! 80 a month. a 30 lb bag of orijen costs around 80-95 bucks depending where and what kind you get.

i feed around 2-3 lbs per day for my dog. i dont weigh anything. i just feed depending on how fat or skinny my dog looks. its cheaper if you buy in bulk. i've gotten 60 cents per lb for chicken quarters before.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

It totally depends on how you shop. It can cost 4x as much as kibble, or half as much as kibble. I recommended making freezer space, shopping sales, and basically making a game of it. You *will* save money and your dog will eat better, if you focus on finding the best deals for a couple months, and commit yourself to packaging and freezing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Enzo eats 1lb-1.5lb a day and I don't buy anything more than $1.25/lb if I were to 'splurge' (go over that amount ) I make it back up with .40/lb chicken or pork shoulder .79/lb for example (especially now! so many meat sales -football) Having a spare freezer and getting involved in a raw feeding co-op really helps cut cost.
Mrs.P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

We feed orijen grain free puppy....$80 a bag...last for a little under 2 weeks with two 15 month old pups. So in a month we buy 3 bags and carry a little to the next month. $80x3....$200 month....but that is for TWO dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

I too am interested in feeding my two fog raw. Since I'm a beginner, could I just start out with chicken buying it from the grocery store? I've seen quite a bit of you all tend to change your source of meat. Both of my guys are around 80 lbs. The lab should really be about 75lb. I think once I get more familar with it, I'll be okay...just don't want them missing out nutrition because of me not feeding raw correctly : )

Also, they eat twice a day...could you feed dry food one meal and raw the next?

Thanks!
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
lol 80 dollars a week would be insane! 80 a month. a 30 lb bag of orijen costs around 80-95 bucks depending where and what kind you get.

i feed around 2-3 lbs per day for my dog. i dont weigh anything. i just feed depending on how fat or skinny my dog looks. its cheaper if you buy in bulk. i've gotten 60 cents per lb for chicken quarters before.
I go through a 40# bag in under two weeks. A #30 would probably be a week in my house. So 2-3 lbs per day per dog... @ $1.25 a pound or so? Oh crap $131.25 a week.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.