German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppies/Raw Diets (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/)
-   -   How Expensive Is Raw Feeding A GSD? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/401266-how-expensive-raw-feeding-gsd.html)

msnorth 01-24-2014 07:27 PM

How Expensive Is Raw Feeding A GSD?

I have an 18 lb beagle & it's only like...$13 a month to feed him. Not bad at all. But I know GSDs weight 4x as much, but I'm hoping it doesn't cost 4x as much?! Where does everyone get their meat from?

SuperG 01-24-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msnorth (Post 4899434)
I have an 18 lb beagle & it's only like...$13 a month to feed him. Not bad at all. But I know GSDs weight 4x as much, but I'm hoping it doesn't cost 4x as much?! Where does everyone get their meat from?

2-3 pounds a day....variance either way.

I get my meat about 120 miles away....but it's worth the drive.

SuperG

boomer11 01-24-2014 07:50 PM

no more expensive than a bag of the best quality kibble. around 80 bucks once you get into a routine and find the same people to buy from. its a bit more time consuming than just dumping kibble in a bowl but the trade off to me is worth it. my dog never misses a meal and i like the less shedding and shiny teeth and best of all, smaller amounts of poop.

shepherdmom 01-24-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 4899586)
no more expensive than a bag of the best quality kibble. around 80 bucks once you get into a routine and find the same people to buy from. its a bit more time consuming than just dumping kibble in a bowl but the trade off to me is worth it. my dog never misses a meal and i like the less shedding and shiny teeth and best of all, smaller amounts of poop.

So I don't buy the best quality kibble.... So I'm not sure how much that would be. $80 per week? per month?

How much do you feed a day per dog and how much per pound does it cost?

boomer11 01-24-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 4899682)
So I don't buy the best quality kibble.... So I'm not sure how much that would be. $80 per week? per month?

How much do you feed a day per dog and how much per pound does it cost?

lol 80 dollars a week would be insane! 80 a month. a 30 lb bag of orijen costs around 80-95 bucks depending where and what kind you get.

i feed around 2-3 lbs per day for my dog. i dont weigh anything. i just feed depending on how fat or skinny my dog looks. its cheaper if you buy in bulk. i've gotten 60 cents per lb for chicken quarters before.

JackandMattie 01-24-2014 08:37 PM

It totally depends on how you shop. It can cost 4x as much as kibble, or half as much as kibble. I recommended making freezer space, shopping sales, and basically making a game of it. You *will* save money and your dog will eat better, if you focus on finding the best deals for a couple months, and commit yourself to packaging and freezing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mrs.P 01-24-2014 09:15 PM

Enzo eats 1lb-1.5lb a day and I don't buy anything more than $1.25/lb if I were to 'splurge' (go over that amount ) I make it back up with .40/lb chicken or pork shoulder .79/lb for example (especially now! so many meat sales -football) :) Having a spare freezer and getting involved in a raw feeding co-op really helps cut cost.

mcdanfam 01-24-2014 09:53 PM

We feed orijen grain free puppy....$80 a bag...last for a little under 2 weeks with two 15 month old pups. So in a month we buy 3 bags and carry a little to the next month. $80x3....$200 month....but that is for TWO dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

d4lilbitz 01-24-2014 10:13 PM

I too am interested in feeding my two fog raw. Since I'm a beginner, could I just start out with chicken buying it from the grocery store? I've seen quite a bit of you all tend to change your source of meat. Both of my guys are around 80 lbs. The lab should really be about 75lb. I think once I get more familar with it, I'll be okay...just don't want them missing out nutrition because of me not feeding raw correctly : )

Also, they eat twice a day...could you feed dry food one meal and raw the next?

Thanks!

shepherdmom 01-24-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 4899770)
lol 80 dollars a week would be insane! 80 a month. a 30 lb bag of orijen costs around 80-95 bucks depending where and what kind you get.

i feed around 2-3 lbs per day for my dog. i dont weigh anything. i just feed depending on how fat or skinny my dog looks. its cheaper if you buy in bulk. i've gotten 60 cents per lb for chicken quarters before.

I go through a 40# bag in under two weeks. A #30 would probably be a week in my house. So 2-3 lbs per day per dog... @ $1.25 a pound or so? Oh crap $131.25 a week.