Brand New to 'Raw' - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brand New to 'Raw'

We've owned dogs for decades, mostly labs. Now after a many year Shepherd absence we pick up our female G.S. in just over a week. Our usually procedure has been to get a higher quality dry dog food & go with that. I know hardly anything about the raw diet for dogs.

I've been reading a bunch, here & the 'Raw Dog Ranch'. I have the meat%/bone%/organ% down, then the common types of meat.

So it's just ground up meat, bones, & organ meat? If $$ was no concern, the same meat one would get with chicken from the store, ground & fed raw? The smaller bones ground, meat cut up?

This would be a stark change for the wife & I. We are due to have a 'food discussion' with the breeder. I get the feeling they are going to talk about raw, recommend it.

If we go this route, I may supplement some 'prepared raw' from 'Nature's Variety' or others. I usually tag a few deer & other game in the Fall. I could easily mix in some of that. I even have a fair sized grinder.

Just saying, one who's used commercial dog food for decades, this whole raw idea may take a bit to get used to. Once one gets going, suppliers, freezer space, & the routine down, not bad.

The benefits to the dog are? That's a little fuzzy right now. Thanks.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

The benefit is everything hove read here and on raw dog Ranch. I'm sure you've also read that unground is better.

Natural foods, no preservatives, no junk healthier coat, better weight, better teeth

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here is some great reading for you that will simplify things and answer a lot of your questions:
Raw Fed Dogs - Natural Prey Model Rawfeeding Diet

I have one dog on raw. She gets chicken leg quarters mon-fri and boneless meals on the weekend. I toss in some organs during the week as well as gizzards and hearts to keep meals balanced. I will add in pork neck bones, tripe, turkey necks, chicken/duck feet, etc as fun extra stuff..whatever I can find. She is an adult Doberman and I feed her once a day in the PM. I don't do ground as a staple because a benefits of a raw diet is teeth cleaning by the dog grinding the meat off the bones. It's a good idea to start out with one meat protein for a couple weeks and then gradually add in others incase there are any allergy problems, you can identify which protein is causing it.

Stools are AWESOME on raw. You will never want to go back to kibble again, especially if you are the one on poop duty. They are small, crumble within days, and odorless.

This is what my Doberman poops in a day:

Stools on raw are a bit whiter in color because of the bone, but I also give her treats during training so that affects it

You can really tell how many nutrients they retain from a raw diet versus kibble regarding the difference in stools.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Something I posted the other day.....

Less poop : Feeding raw greatly decreases the amount of poop that ends up in your backyard. Your dog will assimilate a much higher amount of a raw diet versus pooping out the vast majority of dry kibble food.

Cheaper dog food bills : Take the time and search out a few raw food forums in your local area and use them as a resource to find places to buy raw meat/organ/bone for much less than any grocery store or commercialized prepared raw dog food. I just placed an order for 215 lbs of raw meat/organs/bone for $95 today, 44 cents a pound overall and there is 30 pounds of green tripe in this order to boot.

Healthier dog : That should speak for itself.

Preparation : I usually buy coarse ground components and make a concoction which includes the proper %'s of meat/organ/bones and then add some supplements such as fish oil, milled flax seed, blenderized raw whole eggs (shell included) vitamin e etc. I make 50- 60 lb batches and store them in 1.41 liter plastic containers ( 4 lbs per container ) and put them in the freezer. I bought a small deep chest freezer off of Craig's List for dirt and keep all the food in there.

Time involved : As I mentioned above, I make large batches as I have found this to be the most efficient method for me. I believe the general guideline is 2.5-3% of your dog's weight when mature. For a pup it could be as much as 8% of their weight while they are growing and then adjust based on overall health and physical status. I always have two 4 lb container in the fridge....one is thawed and the other is thawing.

The "hardship" of a raw diet ( for the human ) in many cases is the additional time it takes to prepare a raw diet for their dog. Yes, you can buy prepared patties and chubs of ground raw...but it costs much more, nothing wrong with that, if that's what works. I spend an afternoon a month making my dog's meals, I rather enjoy it and I know everything that is in it.

So far, with my new pup....all my efforts seem to be so worthwhile as I watch her twice a day eating her food as if it were her first. I'm sticking with this raw diet most certainly and as time passes, I get more and more sold on it. I hate to tempt fate but so far my dog has flourished on her raw diet.....all the other benefits are secondary.

Nice to see that you are contemplating a raw diet for your pup.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 02:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep reading up.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep reading up.
I suggest joining this group on Facebook. The members are incredibly helpful and help break it down for new people.

https://facebook.com/groups/preymodeldiet/
Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm switching my 4 month Tiberius to RAW next week. I just found a local meat source of high quality pasture-raised at $1/lb. With economies of scale, RAW actually works out cheaper than "high-quality" kibble if you do it right. I had him on Primal frozen raw for a week and he performed MUCH better just in that time frame alone. I would keep him on that for convenience, but it is very expensive. Plus, I've heard all the benefits of the dog working the raw meat themselves. From everything I've researched, this is the way to go. Kudos to you for doing the research, and that's really what you need to do. Everyone here has helped point me in the right direction and I feel I'm starting to get the grasp.

My little Tiberius is allergic to something in the BB Wilderness he's on. His diarrhea has been getting slowly worse and it looks like his ear infection is starting to come back. Plus, his coat just isn't what it should be and he itches his hind quarters. I've read several places that RAW diets help alleviate allergies and even a cooked chicken allergy may be reduced/eliminated by eating RAW chicken alternatively...not to mention all the benefits SuperG mentioned...

Good luck!
Corvus Laeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.