How to RAW safely? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to RAW safely?

Hi all,

I'm really wanting to start my 4 month Tiberius on RAW. He is starting to even out after a minor ringworm stint and a minor diet change when I brought him home. He is currently on BB Wilderness Large Breed Puppy at about 3.2 cups/day. His stool is getting more and more solid and consistent and he is full of energy.

I'm still concerned about his semi-dry coat and itching of hindquarters and around base of his tail. I fear he may have an allergy to an ingredient in the kibble.

However, I'm curious for those that feed raw. How do you prepare and serve to maximize safety to you/your pet? I'm still living at home with my parents and they are helping to watch him while I work and get him used to a schedule. They are none too happy about giving up freezer space and me bringing raw meat into the kitchen to prepare. I've given a full case as to the benefits and I've searched for every high quality kibble available. I even sourced some Primal frozen RAW food that he ate for a week and loved. I just can't afford the Primal at ~$24/4 days

How do you source/prepare/and feed RAW in the most sanitary way? I need a convincing argument! Thanks!
Corvus Laeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Are your parents vegans?

You just use the same cleanliness steps you do for the family when you are making the family meal that contains fresh meat.

The night before I put out the next day's meal in a bin on the counter to defrost. Sometimes in cool water ( it defrosts more evenly) . I wash the bin I defrosted in with hot soapy water , dry it , and put it away . I wipe down the counter with bleach wipes after preparing , and anything else I might have touched ( faucets , etc).

^That is exactly what I do when I defrost and prepare meat for the family

As for the dog eating , if you are giving chicken , cut up organ meat , muscle meat ( like chop meat ) the dogs eat it pretty much the same way they do kibble. They stand there and crunch it. Mine do not drop it on the floor or make a mess or anything. Most dogs do not from what I understand. Then I wash their bowl with hot soapy water , dry , put away .

The only thing that really makes a mess on the dog's face or fur is larger bones ( recreational bones ) that they would steady with their paws and have a good long chew on. I have a baby that crawls still , so we do not do recreational raw bones for that reason..I don;t really have time to be wiping paws and cleaning the area where he was chewing. So I give him the cooked big cow shin bones ( from pet store ) or elk antlers for chewing fun.

We have 3 large dogs on raw , 3 kids 7 and under , nobody in the last 5 months has had so much as a tummy ache.

You can also point out to your parents that kibble is just as likely to have salmonella and e coli in it ..and it is more likely to get the handlers sick because they are not as concerned about dry kibble so they do not do all the washing up after feeding ( someone feeding kibble should handle it with the same care as raw) .

Any other questions , feel free to ask .everyone here is pretty helpful
ALL MY RESCUES!
Oisin's Aoire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply!

I did go through the defrost procedure while feeding Tiberius the Primal frozen raw. I would have the patties in a ziplock bag the night before in the fridge and it worked well.

I guess my real concern stems from the amount of freezer space and preparation time it takes to set everything up. I think my main issue is actually sourcing the raw meat in the perfect balance of quantity that I can fit in the parent's freezer with acceptable cost using economies of scale.

I hear about people driving down costs by getting a deal on a half of a cow or their friend is a hunter and they get all kinds of meat for next to nothing. Parents haven't signed off on me getting a chest freezer yet

I've been giving Tiberius cuts of marrow bone that I picked up at Whole Foods and the butcher cut into perfect sizes for him. He LOVES them and will have the cut clean within a half hour. I know he would do well on raw, I just need to work out the logistics. My parents are concerned about Salmonella etc., especially since my 9 y/o nephew is over often.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Freezer space IS an issue. However , you can usually get a dedicated freezer pretty decently priced on craigslist or something .

I buy preground frozen chubs ( for the ease of it ) ..then once a week I do go to the supermarket and give them a nice piece meal whole food style.

Go on yahoo and see if you can find a BARF or Raw feeding ( people call it differently so check both names) in your area. You may be able to get lots of local support from there , for instance where to buy bulk , joining a co-op , etc .

Good luck! There really are benefits your parents will come to appreciate. Once you realize there is like 70 % less hair in the house ( took 4 months to see that out of my dogs) they may become fans of raw feeding.
ALL MY RESCUES!
Oisin's Aoire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus Laeus View Post
Hi all,

I'm really wanting to start my 4 month Tiberius on RAW. He is starting to even out after a minor ringworm stint and a minor diet change when I brought him home. He is currently on BB Wilderness Large Breed Puppy at about 3.2 cups/day. His stool is getting more and more solid and consistent and he is full of energy.

I'm still concerned about his semi-dry coat and itching of hindquarters and around base of his tail. I fear he may have an allergy to an ingredient in the kibble.

However, I'm curious for those that feed raw. How do you prepare and serve to maximize safety to you/your pet? I'm still living at home with my parents and they are helping to watch him while I work and get him used to a schedule. They are none too happy about giving up freezer space and me bringing raw meat into the kitchen to prepare. I've given a full case as to the benefits and I've searched for every high quality kibble available. I even sourced some Primal frozen RAW food that he ate for a week and loved. I just can't afford the Primal at ~$24/4 days

How do you source/prepare/and feed RAW in the most sanitary way? I need a convincing argument! Thanks!

Less poop : Feeding raw greatly decreases the amount of poop that ends up in your backyard. Your dog will assimilate a much higher amount of a raw diet versus pooping out the vast majority of dry kibble food.

Cheaper dog food bills : Take the time and search out a few raw food forums in your local area and use them as a resource to find places to buy raw meat/organ/bone for much less than any grocery store or commercialized prepared raw dog food. I just placed an order for 215 lbs of raw meat/organs/bone for $95 today, 44 cents a pound overall and there is 30 pounds of green tripe in this order to boot.

Healthier dog : That should speak for itself.

Preparation : I usually buy coarse ground components and make a concoction which includes the proper %'s of meat/organ/bones and then add some supplements such as fish oil, milled flax seed, blenderized raw whole eggs (shell included) vitamin e etc. I make 50- 60 lb batches and store them in 1.41 liter plastic containers ( 4 lbs per container ) and put them in the freezer. I bought a small deep chest freezer off of Craig's List for dirt and keep all the food in there.

Time involved : As I mentioned above, I make large batches as I have found this to be the most efficient method for me. I believe the general guideline is 2.5-3% of your dog's weight when mature. For a pup it could be as much as 8% of their weight while they are growing and then adjust based on overall health and physical status. I always have two 4 lb container in the fridge....one is thawed and the other is thawing.

Sanitation : As Oisin's Aoire posted " You just use the same cleanliness steps you do for the family when you are making the family meal that contains fresh meat."......it's just that simple.

If you convince your parents, which I hope you do....if you find a good source on green tripe, try and keep that downwind of their noses. Your dog will go crazy for the stuff and it is a wonderful addition to any raw diet but it's a bit gamy ...to say the least.

Good luck to you and it's nice to see your concern for your dog,

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ugh, yes that's exactly what I want to do! I'm even trying to convince them to keep the freezer in my room

I simply don't have the storage space for an entire human body weight of meat

I'm really trying to show my parents the real benefits of starting him raw as a puppy. (It won't be a concern when I move out later this year).

There are really high quality pet stores around me (Raleigh/Cary area NC) and even some of the grocery stores have heard of people asking about raw. I guess I was just looking for the real day-to-day from people doing it. How much is it costing you, how do you store it, and how do you prepare it. I'm getting a good idea now though

(I was already looking up chest freezers for sale on craigslist last week )
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think with time you will figure out the most efficient way of preparing that suits your needs. I prepare meals at night for that evening and the next day (I am not awake enough to measure food per coffee). I thaw in the morning all day, portion out food at night and store in Tupperware for the next day. If I am on the road, meals are prepared on advance (for the most part) and store in quart size freezer bags.

I buy in bulk through a meat wholesale place and pay (for most stuff) under $1 a pound.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiker03 View Post
I buy in bulk through a meat wholesale place and pay (for most stuff) under $1 a pound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I just placed an order for 215 lbs of raw meat/organs/bone for $95 today, 44 cents a pound overall and there is 30 pounds of green tripe in this order to boot.
Can anyone share where you are getting your bulk meat? I've found a couple sites...I was looking here at these two at the moment:

Raw Food : A Place For Paws, Shop RAW Pet Food Online

https://www.hare-today.com/

But I believe they are both over $1/lb after shipping. The amount I can get for the money really dictates how plausible this is for me at the moment...thanks a bunch!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just googled wholesale meat distributors in my area and started calling. These are the same companies that supply the local grocery stores and restaurants. Some won't sell to the public, but many will.

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiker03 View Post
I just googled wholesale meat distributors in my area and started calling. These are the same companies that supply the local grocery stores and restaurants. Some won't sell to the public, but many will.

Haha funny, that's exactly what I started doing. Sent out 3 emails and will be making some calls

Now about sneaking that chest freezer into the house...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.