German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppies/Raw Diets (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/)
-   -   Raising Raw? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppies-raw-diets/378617-raising-raw.html)

Xyst Sin 12-09-2013 09:53 AM

Raising Raw?

I have 3 dogs in house, 2 that are puppies. One full GSD, one GSD/husky, and one full Bluetick Coon Hound. I plan on switching them onto a raw diet completely after I move. Where I am moving, I will have a yard and some land to work with. I was wondering since chicken seem to be a good starting staple in most raw diets, if I would be able to raise my own chickens and then take them to a butcher. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there some kind of special supplements they would need or anything to avoid? Any other raw feeding tips you have to give before I start would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oisin's Aoire 12-09-2013 11:05 AM

I would actually ask the vet about anything to be concerned about regarding farm birds etc in your area..such as common parasites etc. I know that the prevailing advice when feeding wild caught game ( including game birds) ia to freeze them solid for a few weeks to kill off any parasites. I am not sure if that applies to birds raised on your land , but it would probably be a good thing to check. Aside from that I think it is awesome you can raise your own meat ( and have fresh eggs all the time :) )

As far as starting out , start with chicken quarters for the first few days , the slowly add organ meat and more muscle meat. Too much too fast is a common cause of the runs and such when starting raw. I know I did it wrong at first :)

volcano 12-10-2013 02:31 AM

I get chicken for 50 cents a lb. Id guess its not much more effort to raise 200 chickens than 10. They grow up in around a month. So unless you want to raise 200 then its worth your $$$ to just buy it vs your time and cost of raising a few. 5 or 10 chickens would be eaten in less than a month by my girl. Youd be far better off working at kentucky fried chicken part time than spending all the hours on raising poultry. 10 lbs of chicken per hour...

Oisin's Aoire 12-10-2013 10:46 AM

Yeah , that too. My 9 month old GSD eats about 2 pounds of food per day , all 3 of my dogs together need 6 pounds per day ..you will need quite a few chickens handy lol My brother in PA use to raise meat rabbits for the family. They reproduce very quickly and may be a more economical way to keep a food supply going for your pups.

wolfy dog 12-10-2013 12:28 PM

Our free range chickens were infested with parasites that they got from the wild birds. I finally decided to buy our eggs. So yes, check with your vet to see what is going around in your area so you can feed your dogs healthy meat.

Lilie 12-10-2013 12:48 PM

I can't speak for everywhere, but here in south Texas even buying chicks is an expensive 'hobby'. It would seem to be a better financial decision to purchase a freezer and watch for sales.

Chris Wild 12-10-2013 01:09 PM

If you butcher the chickens yourself you may be able to raise your own economically, especially if going with breed bred for meat which grow very quickly. If you're paying someone else to slaughter and butcher, I doubt you'll be able to do so at prices that are competitive with buying chicken at the grocery store. Though at least if raising your own you'd know how they were cared for.

While chicken is a good staple part of a raw diet, it alone isn't enough and you need to add several other meat sources for sufficient variety and a proper RMB/MM/OM ratio.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 12-10-2013 01:14 PM

I think it's a great idea! Sure, it is probably cheaper to buy chicken at the grocery store. But those chickens are raised in nasty, overcrowded coups. It's probably cheaper than buying free-range chicken at the store/farmers' market (I know around here it's about $2/lb for necks and everything else is way more expensive). It's very important for me to purchase ethically raised meat for my dog (I don't even eat meat), so I think it's great!

I think Lori (rawdogranch.com) raises rabbits for her dogs. Maybe she can be of help

blackshep 12-11-2013 09:02 AM

I agree with those who say you'll need variety in the diet, so you'll need to feed more than just chicken, but in theory, I like the idea.

If you're moving out to the country, can you ask around to see if you have any neighbours who raise animals for meat and buy directly from them? :)