For those who have BTDT, is this normal? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default For those who have BTDT, is this normal?

I picked up our 15 week old GSD in Germany on Tuesday. We started her on raw chicken that afternoon (she ate 1 leg and 1 thigh before walking away). That night, she had 3 poop drops, and then runny stuff. She did get a lot of treats (I brought a filled Kong (it was filled with some kibble) for the car ride, and she did eat quite a few "treats" (it was all I had with me, and the trip was longer than I had thought).

Today, she is much more alert and active -- starting to come out of her shell. Not nearly as much kibble. She had a leg quarter at breakfast and has pooped twice already today (again, mostly loose...not diarrhea...just runny).
Her next meal time is approaching (we're cooking up some fresh pork to use for treats -- because I think it will be better for her than the other stuff, and we really need more engagement, so I'm hoping these will be a higher value for her).

I'm just wondering how long until her poop isn't stinky and runny...because it's kind of difficult to pick up a pile of that!

FWIW, she was weaned onto something called Pedigree Puppy Pal (something here in Europe, I guess). It was a Kibble.

I'm asking mainly, because if the poop is runny because she's not tolerating it well, I have other meats I could change her to (we haven't started organ meat yet), but if this is just how it's going to be for a few days as things settle down...that's a different story.

She's eating all of the bones in the leg quarters -- and from what I've read, that should be pretty proportional

Thanks for any insights!
LisaKinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

It sounds like a combo of a lot of traveling and too much variety of food for a pup

I am relatively new to raw feeding , but I made what is apparently a common newbie mistake which was too much too soon. So I started back from scratch the right way with excellent results ( he was runny too)

Try nothing but chicken quarters/necks and back for a few days to get her use to the raw diet. I add canned pumpkin ( 100 percent pure , not the pie filling!) to each meal which helps greatly regulating stool.

Then SLOWLY add in small amount of organ meat and muscle meat.

After she is doing well on that you can add in , again very slowly , different types of MM , OM and RMB. I did single ingredients so I could isolate any sensitivities. Alvin cant tolerate any beef or tripe . I give pumpkin and plain yogurt once or twice a week instead of tripe. My other 2 dogs do great on tripe.

Another common cause of runny poop is over feeding. At 15 weeks she should get no more than 3 or 4 % of her body weight per day , cut into 3 or 4 meals per day. At the most amount per serving 2 meals per day.

You should not mix kibble/cooked and raw together since they digest at different rates. That is another potential issue. I believe you are suppose to wait 12 hours after kibble before feeding RMB and raw in general.

Again , I am fairly new to it , but had a rocky start so I am just sharing what I learned here so far..and it has worked great Good luck !
ALL MY RESCUES!
Oisin's Aoire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

It might be a week before her system gets used to the switch in diet and her poops solidify. Agree with Oisin too about part of the problem at this time is a combination of a lot of change in her life and a change in diet on top of that.

For high value treats, try cooking up chicken instead of pork, just to keep the variety down. I'd wait until her poops solidify before bringing in new sources of protein.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I had originally planned to transition her from her kibble to raw in a less dramatic way...but couldn't find the kibble she was supposed to have been weaned to anywhere around here (not that it doesn't exist, but after 4 stores and no one knowing it...I gave up), we just transitioned to raw immediately (vs. going to a different kibble and then to raw).

After that last bout of diarrhea Tuesday night...she had one "solid" poop yesterday evening...and no diarrhea yet today, either. Maybe we're past the worst? I guess we'll see. If all goes well, I'll start her on a little chunk of organ meat this weekend...do another week of chicken with organ meat and then switch to the beef we got on sale. I do, however, really need to get some beefy bones, and find a local source for chicken/turkey necks/backs). Hopefully, things will keep going well.

Each day she's been here she seems to be coming into her own. She's taken to her crate like a champ...doing well with her exercise pen...learning not to jump up. And, she doesn't seem to be afraid of anything other than one section of stairs that is more "open." She walks well on her leash, is gaining confidence and seems pretty relaxed (not that she has zero drive...just think she's still settling in). I haven't been overly successful finding a high-drive reward yet -- she won't really engage me (like chase the food game...just not interested. She'll follow it with her eyes...she'll come when called...but she won't get really excited and "into" it). I hope to figure out what "turns her on" treat-wise...but kind of glad she's not hyper interested in these expensive pre-made treats. I still put a bit of kibble in her Kong-ball, but she's still figuring that out, and we aren't ready to move to anything more difficult, yet.

She gobbled down her chicken quarter and came back whining...I gave her another leg, which she devoured...she was still whiny...I gave her some cooked pork (which may have been a mistake...but we'll see), and she downed that...and was happy afterwards. It was a fairly large meal for her (since she's gotten here), but from what I've read, puppies tend to self-regulate food pretty well, and like my babies, I know their caloric needs are not static. I offered her another chicken leg, but she wasn't interested. So we called it done. Thawing more chicken now...need to prepare the next two days worth of meals!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Glad to hear she is settling in!

Watch the overfeeding..puppies will definitely eat more than they should. It is a super common cause of the runs
ALL MY RESCUES!
Oisin's Aoire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin's Aoire View Post
Glad to hear she is settling in!

Watch the overfeeding..puppies will definitely eat more than they should. It is a super common cause of the runs
I was a bit nervous...but she was really hungry. No runs today Just a nice, small non-stinky poop. It was a little soft, but fully formed.

This morning for breakfast she just ate her normal chicken quarter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.