German Shepherds Forum banner

Are we over feeding / how much should our pup have? - HELP PLEASE!

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Castlemaid 
#1 ·
Hello

I am having alot of questions and I want to make sure I know as much as possible for my pup, therefore I am gonna keep asking stupid questions.

To my problem: I live in Sweden. No vet. has phone hours at weekends so I cannot get in touch with any atm.

I feed our puppy with SundHund food. It's raw diet food. - It's expensive.

However! When I got our puppy I believe our breeder told us to feed her 350g each day OR 350g twice a day. I'm not sure what she meant.

It feels like 350g two times a day might be to much? Because buying food for that is kinda expensive.

So what do you think? Should she eat 350gish a day or 350g each meal?
She is 11 weeks, about 9-10kg atm.

I am going to a vet. this week so Im gonna ask them also but I want answers now :( Because I might of overfed her for the past 3 weeks >.<

See less See more
#3 ·
If you overfed her for 3 weeks another 2 days won't make a difference.

I don't buy prepackaged raw so I don't know what the doses are.

For home made raw it's 2-3% of their adult weight.

The worst thing that would happen from over feeding is that she gains weight and then you have to feed less so she can lose it.

That's what they say, start with 2-3%, see how it goes and adjust it.

Did she gain weight (as in got fatter)? Lose weight? Stayed the same?

#9 ·
Hello and thank you for all the help I've gotten.
I thought I'd give you all an update.

It seems that we are feeding her right just that we buy the "expensive luxary" food for her.. might have to step it down abit in the future..

Going to the vet. in 1h and gonna ask him about feeding also :)

#10 ·
Hi,

350g twice a day does not sound like a lot. As a general rule of thumb, you want to feed 500g twice a day. But every dog is different, some will need more, some less, and it depends on the ingredients and quality of the food you are feeding.

Was your puppy on raw before you got him? A change in diet from dry or cooked food to raw can cause a few days of diareah, but usually clears up on its own - another cause could be too much vegetables in the prepared food, or not enough ground bone.

I've seen pre-made raw diets that are about 50% veggies, no mention on the label if there is any ground bone - I don't consider that proper raw. There are a lot of different schools of thought on raw feeding, some believe that our dogs are carnivores and do not even need veggies, while others feel that lots of raw vegetables and fruit are essential for proper nutrition. I fall in the camp that believes that they don't need fruits and veggies, but it does not do any harm to add it in, as extras, not as part of the main diet.

Prepared raw food is expensive everywhere! If you are committed to feeding raw, you can try to do a raw yourself.

You can look at the links and thread on this site for more info on feeding raw. This is a great site: Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch , the author is an active member and Moderator here.

Another good resource is my favorite book on raw feeding: Give Your Dog a Bone by Ian Billinghurst

Welcome to Dogwise.com

The diareah may be cause by improper Muscle Meat, Organ Meat and ground bone ratios in the prepared raw that you are feeding, a change in diet, or too much raw veggies - can't really tell without knowing the ingredients, amounts and ratios in your prepared food. One reason I like doing the raw myself (apart from it being more affordable), is that I have more control over what I'm feeding, and can adjust ratios up or down as needed to fit my dogs' individual need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.