Enough Variety is the key, and what about light BBQ grilling it? Another Day flavour? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Enough Variety is the key, and what about light BBQ grilling it? Another Day flavour?

I have slaughtered an older cow with bottle teat, that could not breed as the calve starved and could not latch on.. She was a bit of a pet, and I have to get over that pet cattle bit. I am going to quit giving them away as my children have gone their way, so I am raising Gourmet Organic grass fed grain finished beef for my own freezer. First is being fattened now..

Anyway, my mainstay is 1 kg packages meat and bone and small amount of organ meat like liver, in plastic freezer bags, wrapped with butcher paper so they do not stick, in two 320 litre chest freezers... Got that covered. After a couple of days though, particularly the puppy loses some interest.

A day of chicken, carcasses, thighs on bone, really the favorite is necks, so there is a day of variety..

Another day is lamb, cheap cuts, flaps, brisket, cheapest shoulder cut steak type or cutlets... Lambs fry liver and hearts might be OK, but a bit expensive here.

Then what? What about a day when you throw it on the BBQ... For you Purists, think about the forest fires that kill animals, I am sure the Wolves would not shrink at a little BBQ.. When the Ravens I saw in Yellowstone call them in for a discovered "Winter Kill" to open up the carcass, before the bears chase them off, I am sure it is ripe enough they would LOVE it BBQed..

No, seriously, my pup really perks up at any of my cut steak bits. What is wrong if I throw the meat bits on the BBQ just to brown them a little for a different day?

Any argument or agreement will be welcome... I know I could go canned fish, and there is probably an argument as wolves would get the dead salmon for a couple of months... Maybe, not everywhere but maybe... So what is wrong with a little browned "forest fire" meat.. Anyone?

Kind regards, out on the Last Frontier with GSDs "Dancing with wolves"
lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can brown BONELESS meat if you want - it won't hurt your dog to eat some of that. Just don't cook anything with BONES.

So you have chicken, lamb and beef. What about rabbit, venison, duck, or turkey?
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I feed raw but will cook something occasionally as a treat for my dog. Just make sure it is deboned before giving it to the dog if you cook it. Today I grilled some beef liver. The smell of the the liver flavored smoke is still in my nose. yuck. But my dog loves it.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Default Enough Variety is the key, and what about light BBQ grilling it? Another Day flavour?

I think it is a good idea. Where does one get rabbit if one lives in the concrete jungle? I thought about buying a rabbit and then giving it to Fiona to kill and eat. But that seems cruel and I couldn't kill it myself. I was sent to the Mexican grocery store to get tripe. Is there a culture that eats rabbits?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Cheyanna;3017922]I think it is a good idea. Where does one get rabbit if one lives in the concrete jungle? I thought about buying a rabbit and then giving it to Fiona to kill and eat. But that seems cruel and I couldn't kill it myself. I was sent to the Mexican grocery store to get tripe. Is there a culture that eats rabbits?

Try going to an Indian grocery store..while you're there get some goat..my dogs love it!! The tripe you are getting at the Mexican store is bleached...has not nutritional value at all..green tripe is what you will be looking for. I don't know where you are from but look for a RAW co-op you can join and buy it that way.

Karma6577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Goat !!! Karma: Now there is an idea, in the Outback in places we have a plague of goats at times... Friends of mine go out to just shoot them out..
Hmmmmm, me thinking young goat hind quarters? The problem is wild goat STINKS something aweful.. Dogs would probably love it..

Laurie & The Gang, Thanks.. But rabbit in northern parts of Australia is a no-no, $20,000 fine like no-no.. In plague proportions is Southern Australia, like even thousands of kms of "rabbit proof fence"... Turkey is a delicacy, bit expensive, duck the same and rare, we don't really have much duck.. And venison also VERY rare, and no legal hunting season on them... Wild in a few National Parks, and expensive in the stores.. But Roo meat... Now there is another idea, we shoot roos in plague proportions in some areas as well...
Laurie, thank you for stimulating the idea on wild meat!! Really, goat and roo is the go. It will take me some time, as here in civilization Roo is expensive in the stores, but out west? Thousands in a day you drive through...

It will take some time, but there is the rest of the Raw puzzle for me in Oz anyway... Kind regards from Australia
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Haha 😄😃😄 it's kinda funny that I've never had goat but my dogs get it and they love it. And it does smell funny I can only imagine what wild goat smells like!! 😉

Karma6577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Karma, wild goat, even the young ones, stinks so bad you can't hardly get it under your nose. I have tried soaking it in marinade, beer, vinegar, over night, and a few other things and finally gave up on it. Dogs would probably LOVE IT.

Well Friends, Light BBQ I tried last night and my 10 Y.O. Alpha Male Cody that I have potentially saved with the RAW meat diet, ate more and heartier that I have seen him do in YEARS !!! Stinky old beef I butchered for the dogs on a hot day (won't do that again), was even pleasant smelling to me on the BBQ...

I had fist sized chunks, about maybe 2 kg and browned them well. Then I cut it up into smaller chunks and this morning He gobbled it down! There is another day of variety in diet they seem to thrive on... I will throw a batch on the BBQ one day a week !!

lone Ranger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.