NEW, slower growth rates, on RAW Diet vrs Dry Puppy Chow, and benefits... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Did you know ndk1 that you are quoting an older post of yours and arguing with yourself?
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
GypsyGhost likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:14 AM
Banned

I often wonder - when people point to a natural diet for a dog to wolves diets....

When they do - I know that if they are trying to replicate that - they are simply clueless.......

The wolves diet is as complete as our caveman ancestors diet or any other wild carnivores diet in current day. Not good - but gets them along to be able to achieve the age of reproduction and they die very young. Certainly not a diet to model after.....

Wolves diets are not optimum and never were. Sometimes, they will eat 40lbs of meat and then nothing for 3 weeks. Sometimes - they will have nothing but bone and some old hide to eat... and their bodies pay for it.

Certainly nothing to model after as their bodies are put to survival extremes....

Why is it, that a wolf can eat kibble and be in fine shape - if it is a good quality kibble? The wolf is not the "model" for best diet available.... hardly.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 03:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
My vet know that I am feeding raw. To make sure growth is going well I bring him in to the vet every few months to monitor weight and structure. So far that has worked out well.
I guess it's kinda cool to think about feeding a dog a "raw" diet. At first thought, that sounds all good to me, I think it would have been workable 20 or 30 years ago....

The meat we humans eat has substantially less value than it did 20-30 years ago (by %'s 25-30 less) nutrient value in meats....

It's because of how the meat animals are raised now. If we humans were carnivores like dogs, that means our food would be giving us 25-30% less nutrition than what our parents and previous generations got out of that food source.

Because we humans are not carnivores only as canines are, we enjoy a diet that more than makes up for any deficit in the meat raised these days..... but most everything from cereal to veggies, for us - has some vitamins or minerals (added or put back in) to our processed foods.

The "raw" meat feed today - does not have the same food value as it used to. I would be very careful to supplement in every way and have routine tests done if I were to decide to feed raw today....

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

I don't feed my dogs a raw diet to mimick a wolves diet. I feed it because I don't trust dog food period. I don't trust where the ingredients come from and I certainly do not trust anything from China, which is where pretty much all vitamins for humans and dogs come from. There is no way to go around it. I choose to supply them with vitamins that come naturally from the food they eat. This doesn't happen with dog food. There is a reason that all the vitamins and supplements have to be added to dog food, the process of making the food takes all nutrient value out of the main ingredients(no matter where they come from).

I have fed my dogs pedigree, Iams, Eagle Pack, Proplan, Fromm, Annamaet, 4 health, Farmina--so I've had experience with all kinds of food. Once I seen what my dogs allergies were it became evident that there wasn't a food out there that they could eat without issue. I have managed to formulate individual diets for each individual dog. It's definitly a process but I've learned a lot and I've had fun with it. I pop into the vet for shots and routine blood work to make sure they are healthy and that is it.

I no longer go to the grocery stores for any meats. The dogs get all their stuff from local farms with no hormones or antiobiotics. I recently found another farm that can be a supplier for the dogs and us humans at very reasonable prices.

I save a ton of money feeding raw on the food itself and vet bills. I'm always researching and learning more daily.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Master Member

Feeding raw has far more nutrition than processed dog food. The quality of ingredients is far better and raw food is not heated and "extruded" into kibble like dry food is. Most of the nutrition is lost in the extruding process.

To compare dry food to raw food is like comparing can fruit to fresh fruit. There is simply no comparison. The quality of ingredients in raw is far superior to the 4 D's that dry kibble manufacturers use.

I was in the pet industry for a number of years and have fed raw exclusively for over 10 years. I will never go back to dry food and the health and working ability of my dogs confirms this.
Jax08 and Mudypoz like this.

Jim
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 12:53 AM

I've read some posts where people are feeding a mixture of raw food and kibble. Why is that? I thought you weren't supposed to mix the two. Incidentally, we've been feeding our puppy raw food and it's been great so far. Our rescue dog is slowly warming up to raw food, but still won't touch organs.

Pepper - Rescue Dog (Newfoundland/Lab Mix)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shadow - Black GSD puppy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taz - One grouchy tuxedo cat!!
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:21 AM

Came from the vet, my female pup gained 10 lbs in 3.5 weeks. From 18.5 to 29.1 lbs at 15 weeks of age. She is long, lean, and has big paws and bones. I feed her Royal Canin, goats milk and yogurt, and baked liver. And a bunch of sweet potatoes and apples for treats.
Im not sure if this is a good thing or bad, or if the diet is good or bad. The vet was surprised, she thought the scale was broken. Reading this thread makes me concerned for her to gain so much weight in 3.5 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page