Raw feeders; help with organization! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Raw feeders; help with organization!

Where/how do you all keep your pre-weighed meals each week? Zip-lock bags? I'm drawing a blank on any other ideas, but Frag's meals are over a pound and I cannot fit them all into a quart-sized ziploc baggy. It's annoying to bag one meal in two different bags, as well.. and I can't afford to spend a fortune on these bags all the time OR larger gallon sized bags when I'm just going to throw them out!

I need something organizational and economical, that is relatively easy to access/use/pacakge. I weigh out meat about once a week and put all of their meals in the bottom drawer of my fridge for the rest of the week.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I use 2# deli containers & the big 24 oz yogurt containers to store food. Because I feed the bulk yogurt, I save those containers. But they are big, not sure if they'll fit in a drawer.
For my dogs, I don't pre-portion food unless I'm going away.
So everything is in ice cream pails or whatever(I keep the proteins separate) and I scoop out what I need per meal. I thaw in a big tote, and then move things around as they are reduced.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's kind of a good idea, too.... just thawing a big bucket of it all and weighing it in the morning. I just want to make sure they're getting the right amount of bone/organ per week with their meat.

Hmm.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I always thaw a pack of rmb's, a container of organ, and tripe and some mm in balance...so it all goes at the same time. Now and then I'm low on one or the other. I try to stay at least one or two meals ahead in the thawing(especially when it is so freaking cold out!)
One thing I got from the last MPC order was lamb hearts, they are really nice for the price, I chunked them up into ziplocks(2 hearts per bag) and refroze them. Those will be a regular on my monthly order!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I bag stuff in the large ziplock freezer bags. I can get 3-4 pounds of stuff in them. That's enough for a little over one days worth of food - be it RMBs or MM. The OM goes in small plastic containers.

I also use these: Commercial Coreless Roll Can Liners - 4 gal - 2000 ct. - Sam's Club

I end up using 2 - fill one, twist it closed then put it inside another one. Helps control leakage. And since they are SO cheap I don't mind using 2 at a time.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Raw feeders; help with organization!

I portion my meat and organs in separate containers. I use the Reditainer extreme freeze containers in the 16 and 32 ounce size. I use my spare fridge as a thaw point because I switch proteins every meal. I feed twice a day. You can get 150 Reditainers on Amazon for $50 plus shopping.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Karma6577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I use ziploc quart-sized bags for Gabe's breakfast meals, and those reusable/disposable plastic ziploc containers for dinners. Cheap and handy.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i buy cheap sandwich bags and package a days worth of bone in one and a days worth of MM in another. She doesn't eat as much as Frag but you should still be able to fit that. Then I can mix and match as a I please.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I fill ziploc bags with MM, RMB, and OM and defrost bags at a time. Three bags in my big Tupperware container will last me several days at a time.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

I may be at an advantage, out on a property in Australia, slaughtering my own beef... But here is what I have worked out in a routine over the past five weeks:

I have packaged the beef and bone and small amount of organ meat in about two pound packages, and it is in freezers. I slaughter it and do it in bulk, but you could buy it in and segregate it in packets the same way. One chest freezer is meat alone, one is beef and bone. I take out what I want the day before and let it thaw. I learned the hard way to put it in plastic bags, but also wrap it in the butcher paper or the bags stick together in a lump...

I have one of the little esky type lunch boxes with the folding handle. I put the meat in there when thawed, and in the fridge. Usually I thaw two packs at a time as I feed two adult GSDs and the puppy. I alternate with lamb once a week and chicken once a week, which I buy in a half or dozen packs at a time and freeze. I also buy in brisket bones for the pup, chewy cartiledge. On the lamb I get like a boned cartiledge steak, so there is soft bone to chew on, and the raw chicken in carcasses, again for the bone...

I try to thaw a days worth ahead, and wash the lunch box every other day or two. It is a lot of hassle, but I think the raw diet has saved my 10 year old and have a Testimonial on it. Further, overall it HAS to be healthier.

I hope this helps you in some way to ease the pain of the raw diet...

Last edited by lone Ranger; 02-18-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: something missing
lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.