12 week old on raw meat diet, digging and licking dirt? Deficient some mineral? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 12 week old on raw meat diet, digging and licking dirt? Deficient some mineral?

First of all, he is on 70% meat and bone, beef and chicken and chicken carcasses, 30% organ meat, scrambled eggs a couple times a week, wide variety...

He keeps on tasting the soil.. He will dig, get his face in, and seems to lick and taste the dirt.. Is this some kind of dietary deficiency being exhibited or him just being a puppy????

There is a thery out that puppies will crave what deficiencies they have and try and compensate for it... Is this just a puppy discovery phase, or is he seeking some mineral? Your theories please...

Kind regards from Oz...
lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Are you only feeding beef and chicken? Do you plan on integrating more protein sources? At least 3-5 different meats is recommended-maybe he is missing something? Also, 30% organ meat seems high. Most sources say 5-10% depending on what model diet you are doing.

Can't help you with the dirt except that my dog did the same as a puppy.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for that, 30% includes heart which is really muscle meat.. He also gets eggs and salmon, anything else that I eat. I am trying to get vitamins and doggie supplements into him as well, and lactose free milk...

Thanks for the report that you pup ate dirt tooo....
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

puppies do not need milk after they're weaned, why give milk?? milk might cause diarrhea and most dogs do not tolerate milk after being weaned. same as cats xx

Tamtam - Egyptian Mau
Dante (Dumpty) ze Stribrneho kamene (9-9-2011)
Juventus - GSD (RIP)
Animal Aid Egypt
nitemares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Simple, my Breeder has produced some wonderful temperament and very fit dogs, and She recommends lactose free milk in his early stages of extreme growth. I think it is to ensure adequate calcium intake.. He does not get much of it, maybe a half a cup or less per day is all he will drink. He prefers water, but it could be a help for larger dogs. She has a great tempersment 50 kg Sable Working Dog, and her hand raised pups have the best temperament I have seen, I think we will carry on.

I don't know how long, but we will continue for now, and there have been no side effects. I think it is the lactose free part that works well. Thank you for your concern, but he is getting along just great.

Kind regards from Oz...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default 12 week old on raw meat diet, digging and licking dirt? Deficient some mineral?

We have a 7 week old on Raw and loves to stick everything in his mouth. I think he is just going thru a "this belongs on my mouth" stage. Keep doing what you are doing!! I give goats milk once a week to all mine and yogurt every morning. Never had any problems and they love every drop

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Karma6577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone Ranger View Post
Simple, my Breeder has produced some wonderful temperament and very fit dogs, and She recommends lactose free milk in his early stages of extreme growth. I think it is to ensure adequate calcium intake.. He does not get much of it, maybe a half a cup or less per day is all he will drink. He prefers water, but it could be a help for larger dogs. She has a great tempersment 50 kg Sable Working Dog, and her hand raised pups have the best temperament I have seen, I think we will carry on.

I don't know how long, but we will continue for now, and there have been no side effects. I think it is the lactose free part that works well. Thank you for your concern, but he is getting along just great.

Kind regards from Oz...
As long as he's fine, just thought it's worth mentioning. Love Oz by the way, have lots of Aussie friends. know it's a bit late but happy Straya day, hope you enjoyed some lovely snags

Tamtam - Egyptian Mau
Dante (Dumpty) ze Stribrneho kamene (9-9-2011)
Juventus - GSD (RIP)
Animal Aid Egypt
nitemares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for your concern...

My Breeder says it is no longer necessary, now that he is eating raw chicken thighs and bones and carcasses, and blade and y-bone beef steak and knawing on the bones. It was only insurance to make sure he was getting plenty of calcium until he could do a better job on bones... I will use up the last container and stop, now at 12 weeks four days... For any of you that have a problem reaction with milk, for the young pups try the lactose free variety as that seems to be the issue..

As to Australia Day, thank you... However, I do not eat snags (sausages) or bangers (big fat sausages), unless they are from my local Organic Butcher... If you saw what went into the normal store sort of snags, you would NOT feed it to your dog.. No, seriously, that is why they grind up the snout and pig pistol and other stuff, and add flavorings and the rest... Even your dog would not eat it...

As to Australia? Might as well be the 53rd State... Endless California beaches 1969, some you can even drive 50-100 miles on, with only the population of Southern California in the whole country the size of mainland U.S.A... The problem in coming here for a few week holiday is you soon realize that you have just driven three days and only gone an inch on a dining table sized map...
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Both my dogs quite often dig in the clay at the dam wall and then lick the fresh clay.
I've also seen the horses do that so they must have a reason for it

Hope you're away from all the flooding!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
Both my dogs quite often dig in the clay at the dam wall and then lick the fresh clay.
I've also seen the horses do that so they must have a reason for it

Hope you're away from all the flooding!
Hello fellow Aussie "Mooch", G'day! Sparra is on this Forum and down in your area somewhere.

On the minerals, yes, it is true that horses and dogs can be seen looking for lacking minerals and salt in the soil. In my case it was just probably scratch and sniff and taste puppy exploration..

On flooding, I consider myself fortunate. I compete Reining Horses for fun in the NRHA, so have a modest 30 acre horse property up here. My back 15 acres are on the corner of Browns Creek and the North Maroochy River and flooded big time. I ended having to rescue 9 cattle, up with a barbed wire stuck hand at 5 am dawn in heavy work pushing out logs and such, repairing fences two days running.. And that is being grateful, not a complaint compared to others less fortunate. I am over 60, so all it was is forcing me to do is "Cowboy Up"

No snakes pushed up, no animals lost, dogs had a ball in the shop area as we had a good bottle of champagne watching Noahs Flood happening... For awhile there as the flood was coming up about a foot an hour, 400+ mm of rain in one day, and I was wondering about an Ark instead of my big gooseneck horsefloat......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.