Sedation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Sedation

I'm sure its here somewhere but I just can't find it. It seems there was something about the importance of having your dog sedated before euthansia, but I can't find it now. I'm switching Vets and while interviewing the new Vet on Friday I asked if they automatically sedate the dog first and he said they do not-that you have to request it. I'm prepared to have my dogs files noted with this request for the future-is this what I want to do? Isn't it better to sedate them? Is there pros and cons to this? I was prepared for the Vet to say they automatically do this so then I wouldn't have had these questions but when he said No, etc. I now have to wonder. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks. And no, none of my dogs are facing this but I just want to be prepared and have their charts marked accordingly.

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
shilohsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Sedation

Rosa, where I work it is standard procedure. It is easier (if anything about saying good bye to your friend can be considered easy) for the dog and the owner if the dog is relaxed. I think it's great to plan ahead. Many of our clients have their wishes noted in their charts. When the time comes, you are rarely thinking clearly.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I worked for a vet a few years ago, and assisted with dozens of euthanasias, and the vet never sedated the animal beforehand. I've never heard of this, but it does seem like a good idea in some cases. We always sedated animals before putting them under general, but of course, that was so that it would make it easier on the dogs system, and they would be less likely to experience heart failure from the anesthesia.

I never saw an animal upset/stressed during euthanasia, except once. That was when we had to put down a perfectly healthy chow that was so extrememly people aggressive that she couldn't be adopted out. It was really sad - she struggled a little bit. I remember being really angry about having to do it. She was a beautiful animal, and I knew that the reason she had to be put to sleep was because of the irresponsible humans. Other than that, though, all the animals seemed to go peacefully - they were ill, and I think they were ready. To me, none of them appeared stressed.

One thing you may want to as the vet is whether they're willing to come to your home to perform a euth. If heaven forbid, I ever have to put Kodee to sleep, it'll be at home, where he's relaxed and safe.

kbigge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

my vet, who i trust a great deal, told me that it depends on the situation and they do not do it by default.

Quest (I Bailey's Quest von Grafenstein)
Bailey 3yo Great Labrahoula

At the bridge:

Lando - run free my sweet girl - you are always with me
Simon, Harper, Chestnut - always know you are loved
LandosMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ok, so this isn't something that really should be done that some Vets do and some don't? Maybe this is why I couldn't find it again in Millies thread...maybe I read into it something the first time that wasn't quite so??? I just want to make sure I'm prepared and charts are noted NOW for when the time does come. I didn't ask about coming to the home but will do so. Thanks for that tip.

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

i don't think that sedation is necessarily something that you decide until you are at that point. i would be most concerned about whether the vet will come to your house. my does not. i love my vet but this is a regret of mine- that i had to take Lando in when it was time.

Quest (I Bailey's Quest von Grafenstein)
Bailey 3yo Great Labrahoula

At the bridge:

Lando - run free my sweet girl - you are always with me
Simon, Harper, Chestnut - always know you are loved
LandosMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ok, I think I understand this better now. Sedation is something that just isn't necessary in all cases-its not something the vets can simply forget to do (therefore, its not something I'd have to worry about marking my dogs charts now on). Its just not needed all the time. It must of been I thought I read something on the other thread that just wasn't there (I misunderstood). Thanks all for your help. I will also asked my vet about coming to the house but I think I can wait on that one.

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I can't make this a sticky or merge it here, but here is a thread that has a lot about sedation and if it seems like it fits, maybe we can have that happen:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...&gonew=1#UNREAD

Is this the thread that you were thinking of maybe?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

My question would be ... why NOT give the dog a sedative first? What can it hurt?

My girl Neke struggle a bit during her euthanasia. We were planning to have the vets come to us (she wasn't always comfortable at the vets office) but she went downhill faster than expected and they couldn't get away.

I wish we had thought of giving her a sedative first.

When Riggs time gets closer I will go pick up a sedative to give him at home before the vet comes over.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My Vet gives Sedation in a vein in one front leg. I was only paying partial attention to him, but I saw him check his watch, take pulse, check heart beat and respiration, also picked up the leg and was feeling for response from the dog. Then he switched to the other leg to give the final shot. There was no struggling, just nice and calm as my frind made the trip to the bridge. I think there are some reasons why my vet gives the Sedation shot in the Vein, he is timing and checking, this gives him an idea of the condition of the Veins. It the Sedation doesn't take then he knew the vein blew and the veins would never handle the final shot.

I don't care if the Vet doesn't normally do this, they will for my dogs or I will find another Vet.

The Vet was my dogs one and only Vet for his entire life, so my Vet even took it hard, so after he loaded my guy for the trip to creamation, I asked if he had a few minutes to meet my new puppy. We came back in the house and I Introduced him to Cheyenne, who I had only had for a couple days (no I didn't plan it this way, I think my old guy kept hanging in there because he didn't want me to be lonely). He asked if he could sit and play with her for a little while. I said you bet that is why I had you come in.

I want that trip to the bridge to be as calm and comfortable as possible for my pets.

Val
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.