Sedation - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #81 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would never euthanize an animal without sedation first. I'm a vet tech as well and I've been working in the field for six years now and have seen some nasty and horrific outcomes of euthanasias without sedation. Not every animal just passes away peacefully from an overdose...

Where I work now, we sedate the animal and then place a catheter if necessary. The whole process is a whole lot more peaceful than trying to find a vein in the moment in the room with a client with a possibly widely alert animal who may struggle against you. If I can make it more peaceful and less stressful for the animal, then why would I choose not to?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Tulah v Maringaland- puppy in training!
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #82 (permalink)
Banned

As a euth. tech I always sedated pre-euth., I also wanted to make the journey as peaceful as possible.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #83 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is what we did for my last sweet oldie. Because of his surgeries he was petrified of the vet's office. So my vet and I came up with a wonderful plan. We scheduled the euthanasia at home and the vet gave me (not to or for me) Valium to give my dog in the morning a few hours before the vet would come to the house. I gave my dog a good dose and when he got sleepy I put him in his favorite chair on a soft blanket.
By the time the vet came my dog was sound asleep and never woke up. The transition went seamless. No stress of even seeing the vet. I would never do it any other way.( I left all my tears out of this story). WD is his successor.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master Member

After reading a particularly horrible story of a friend's ordeal with euthansia gone bad, when her beloved cat panicked and pulled out tubes halfway through it, I made sure my own was strongly sedated when it was time to say goodbye. And I always will. I certainly never want what happened to her to happen to me or my furbabies. Sedated, there is no fear and you can hold them and let them groggily cuddle with you as you say goodbye. Peaceful. I wouldn't do it any other way.
KentuckyGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #85 (permalink)

the emergency vet we took Atlas to sedated him first. She said that it's their standard operating procedure, that the animals struggle less, and are less likely to experience any sort of reaction.

At the Bridge: Atlas Gunther Vom Milnerhaus. 3/26/06-6/24/12. We'll always love you.

Proudly owned by: Samson Courage Vom Milnerhaus, born May 23rd, 2012, beautiful Sable boy
Atlas'Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #86 (permalink)

I know this is an old thread, but I just joined and am catching up. I am also a ceritfied euthenasia tech and I always sedate an animal first. I use a TKX sedatative (telazol/ketamine/xylazine) and administer it IM. It's a quick little prick in the haunches instead of a dog having to watch someone stick a needle into his front leg while being restrained. It takes a little longer when administered IM, but I always pet and love and usually sing to the dog while he is going down. I also hold the dog so he doesn't stumble around. When a dog is properly sedated the euthenasia injection usually goes smoothly and quickly. If you have to stick more than once to find the vein, the dog is unaware. I always give our shelter dogs special treats which I keep in the euthenasia room, so the last thing they know is that they get some really yummy treats and then a little "bee sting", and then the crazy lady sings them to sleep. Usually a little James Taylor.

I would always want my babies to be sedated first. No question.
TAR HEEL MOM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #87 (permalink)
Elite Member

That's awesome, Tar Heel Mom. It was so much easier, IMHO, when Chey was PTS. They gave her a good once over, we talked about it with the vet and amongst ourselves, and then they gave her a heavy sedative, Ketamine I think, as a shot in her hip. Hubby picked her up off the floor and put her on the table and we all told our favorite Chey stories as I fed her hot dogs. She was never one to let a piece of food hit the floor, so when the last bit of the hot dog hit the floor, the vet gave her the pink stuff and she was just gone. It was just so nice and peaceful.

With the IM, it gave us one more time to see her tail wag and her ears prick up at the mere scent of the hot dog and she slowly drifted off instead of all at once. Twas nice and it gave us some great memories.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #88 (permalink)

And that is the way it shold always be................sorry for your loss.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #89 (permalink)

I had to put my beloved chocolate Lab Cocoa down this past October, it was the first time I had ever witnessed a euthanasia so I didn't know what to expect. I was always under the impression that the animal was given an injection and then went peacefully to sleep and passed over. This was not to be, the night they put my boy down was the worst night of my life.

I felt like I let him down, the vet had a hard time finding a vein, and my husband had to hold him tight to keep him from struggling. I believe Cocoa knew what was going on, he was so scared and kept looking to me and my husband and I could see the panic in his eyes, it broke my heart. When the vet finally found a vein, he did go quickly, but he did not look at peace. He struggled somewhat and keeled over, his eyes looked like they were going to pop right out of his head and he was so rigid, it was horrible. I will never euthanize another one of my pets without them being sedated first. Cocoa's passing haunts me.

I don't blame the vet, I blame myself for not doing my homework. Now every time I bring Tess in to the vet's office, I have a real hard time. I can't even go near the room where Cocoa was put down. They have it written on Tess' chart.

This is my experience and how I feel, I will always request a sedative for any of my animals.

Shaolin - It sounds like Chey went nice and peacefully, just the way I always imagined it to be.

Last edited by Linda1270; 04-10-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #90 (permalink)

God Linda, I am so sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.