Sedation - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #71 (permalink)

I am a new member here, but far from young. Over my life, I have had to have three dogs put down. One because of a medical problem that could not be cured, and two because of failing health and the pains of old age.

None were sedated first. I think it depends on your vet, and the vet's relationship with the dog (or cat). If the vet and dog have a good relationship, the dog does not fear them, and is relaxed in their presence.

I recently had Sam put down. He was a 14 year old Great Dane/Dalmation mix. Although we occasionally saw one of the other vets on emergency visits, we always saw Dr Mariyn if possible. She and Sam had a good relationship, and he would let her do anything. She rarely took him to the "back room" for shots or treatment. One of the last tests she performed was an ultrasound. She did not have to restrain or sedate him, when she did the test. She just had one of Sam's favorite techs hold him and talk to him, while she did the ultrasound.

The morning she put Sam down, we both got down on the floor and patted him and talked to him. And, we both cried. I held him in my arms, and she did the injection. He just went to sleep, and in a few moments his heart stopped. It was peaceful, quiet, and dignified.

When Marilyn and I were sitting there crying and scratching Sam's ears, I remarked to her that Sam was the third dog I had to have put down, and it had not gotten any easier. She said "I have been doing this for over thirty years, and no, it has not gotten any easier for me either."

So, my two cent's worth, is it depends on the dog and their relationship with their doctor.
nhaitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #72 (permalink)

Default My atlas was sedated

When we had to put Atlas down, the vet did it via 2 shots---the first, a powerful sedative to relax him (which, trust me, he neede. He had high anxiety). Although I was not in the room with him, my boyfriend was, and he said it helped him relax. He simply put his head down like he was going to sleep, like every other night. I'm glad to know this offered him comfort in his final moments, and would want it for any animal.

At the Bridge: Atlas Gunther Vom Milnerhaus. 3/26/06-6/24/12. We'll always love you.

Proudly owned by: Samson Courage Vom Milnerhaus, born May 23rd, 2012, beautiful Sable boy
Atlas'Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master Member

My office always uses an injection of a sedative first. It is so much easier for everybody involved, and I think a lot more peaceful.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #74 (permalink)

I am facing this same issue tomorrow, I am having to take my son Lex to the vet for him to be laid to rest. He has been suffering from authritis in his rear hips for some time now, It has gradually gotten worse over the last few months. It's to the point now where we were trying to prolong his life with every meens necessary, We tried Rymadil and here the last few weeks even tried a new injection our vet recomended. It is used for horse's joints. He received two injections this past week and has since gotten to where he cant even stand for longer then a few minutes, And then when he does lay back down his breathing is so erratic that he starts foaming in his mouth. he sometimes cant even get up to go potty and he pee's on himself. My wife couldnt stand to see him do this to himself any longer, So ultimately we decided to spend one more day with him and we take him in tomorrow. He will be coming home with us once he is creamated and will be beside our beloved Rottweiller Tasha. We love this gentle giant so much and hate to see him suffer, We know this is the right decision and have come to terms with it. RIP "Bubba"
manson6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master Member

so sorry. Ive had to put 2 of mine down in the last 2 years. Was the hardest thing ive ever done. But im glad they arent suffering any longer. May you RIP Bubba
rooandtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #76 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here are my two cents on sedation.

We had to put down one of our beloved cats last August. She suddenly began vomiting blood. It was my very first time having to put any animal to sleep, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Once in the room, the vet looked her over once and said that it seemed like she had developed little tumors all over her tiny body. She had been seen by a vet a little under a year prior who noticed a very tiny lump on her foreleg, but the vet stated that she may have just gotten it from rough housing with our other cats. The cat never really liked to be handled to begin with, but we kept an eye on her; watching her food/water intake and watching her mood. Nothing changed until the morning we found her in the bathtub, her front covered in foul smelling blood.

The vet confirmed the only option was to be put to sleep. They did not sedate her, I was not told that was an option (I would've done it, even though I didn't know what the difference was between using and not using), and I honestly didn't know it was an option.

They stuck my pretty baby over ten times trying to find a vein. She screamed the entire time. Once they found a vein, for some reason, the medication didn't take. It took thirty minutes and four different syringes full of the drug before she finally went to sleep. Each time they poked and prodded her ten or more times. The last two were injections straight into her heart, yet she wouldn't go to sleep. I remember asking if they could just overdose her on Ketamine or some other heavy grade drug done IM, but they kept telling me that, "This one will do it..." or, "It might just take her a while." When it was finally over, they were going to take her and dispose of her, but I took my girl home with me instead; I didn't want them touching her anymore.

With my Princess Puppy, Chey, they immediately sedated her. She was comfortable and happy. The last thing she did before she fell asleep was eat a hot dog. It took them a while to find a vein, as her blood pressure dropped dramatically after the first injection, but she never flinched, whimpered, or yelped. Once the injection was in, the vet listened to her heart and I kept my hand on her belly until she let out what we called her happy sigh and that was it.

I will NEVER, EVER go to a vet that does not automatically sedate before euthanasia ever again...heck, I think it should be a law that they cannot administer the medications until the animal is properly sedated. Sedation is the only way to go.
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #77 (permalink)
Master Member

i just wondered if they felt any pain or how long after the shot they were aware of us or anything going on. when cody passed the vet just gave him one shot in the leg, he was sitting up, and looked over at the vet when he gave him the shot and then he relaxed over in my arms. he didn't struggle or make a sound. the vet checked his heart(i wasnt even aware of that because i was holding and telling my boy i love you) and said he was gone, but his tummy was still "breathing" and his eyes were open and still clear looking. his eyes stayed "clear" looking and full for a bit. was he still aware of me or could he feel or see? even thought he relaxed over and didnt struggle i still dont know if it took while or what. that really bothered me, i didnt want him to feel any pain or distress and i still think about it.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #78 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ok, i know this thread is really old, just thought I would put my 2 cents in as a certified technician.

Euthanasia solution is a sedative. It simply causes death by sedative overdose. Therefor the need for sedation is really non-existant. It happens so fast - usually the animal is gone before you are done injecting. Sedation is caused, then respiratory arrest, then cardiac arrest, then finally neurologic end (brain dead)

That being said, it varies from vet to vet. I have 5 different euthanasia procedures I follow according to what vet is euthanizing, I just memorize them.

Many vets just do straight euthanasia solution, nothing else. However, it is a really thick solution, so I have one doctor that mixes it 1:1 with water for cats and small dogs to thin it out. One doctor likes to give propofol before- propofol is another sedative, that really makes the animal sleep before giving the euthanasia solution. And one doctor mixes it 1:1 with propofol to have that extra sedative as well as thin out the solution.

1:1 mixed with propofol is probably my preferred, just because euthasol is so thick. I personally don't believe a sedative is needed most of the time, nor do I believe it makes much of a difference.

Then I work with one doctor that if the patient is extremely awake or high strung/nervous, she has me give a little bit of acepromazine about 5-10 minutes before to sedate them and calm them down. An extremely anxious pet would be the only one I would say NEEDS to be sedated, just because the act of you being near them as a stranger may cause them to panic and fight.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #79 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
I will NEVER, EVER go to a vet that does not automatically sedate before euthanasia ever again...heck, I think it should be a law that they cannot administer the medications until the animal is properly sedated. Sedation is the only way to go.
Sedation shouldn't be required. An IV catheter should be required! Some larger dogs, if the owners aren't present, I've personally euthanized by simply hitting the vein and injecting because the vein is so large. However, ANY time an owner is present, or any time I''m doing a small animal, I place an IV catheter 100% of the time.

Euthanasia solution is PAINFUL if it goes outside of the vein. If you have a catheter placed and taped, then you know you are in. Straight shot to the heart.

If you're just injection, especially with a smaller animal, there is a high chance the vein might blow, then the animal struggles because it is painful.

I feel for your situation, it sounds HORRIBLE. But it is not the lack of sedation you should be mad about, because that was not the problem. It was the technique they were using to inject. They should not of injected straight into a cat vein, they should of simply placed a catheter.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #80 (permalink)

I have used sedation prior to even bringing my dogs in to be euthanized--I keep them on hand at home when the end is drawing near. It really helps their transition to the bridge be very safe and calm. I would always want to administer sedation prior to the euthanasia so that the beloved GSD doesn't really feel all freaked out by the vet setting and even by your own feelings of horror and sadness that they pick up on so much-this way their last hours/moments are soft
JBeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.