Sedation - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Re: Sedation

Sedation can cause a delay in death. It slows the cardiovascular system down and lessens the amount of the drugs delivered to the brain.
Euthanasia solution is a massive overdose pentobarbitol, not phenobarbitol. 2 differnent drugs. Phenobarb sedates and controls seizure and mind activity, pentobarb is a anesthethic. Dogs and cats do lose consciousness before passing.
HOWEVER... pentobarb if given quickly can induce an excitment stage in animals before they go under. I worked for a vet who used this drug as his choice for knocking animals down for surgery. He was very skillful with it, but occasionally there was an animal that went down a little rougher. (Not so unlike people, who react differently to drugs.) Bimbo, this was probably the reaction you witnessed. It really can be horrible to see and I'm sorry you had to go through that. Jake was probably unaware of his vocalization. Its a shame that they passed it off as air trapped.
Euthansia sol reacts the same way if given too quickly.
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
BJDimock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 03:53 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

We have always used sedation prior to euthanizing any of our past companions (6 dogs now) and none of them ever had a adverse reaction to the sedative, but I think it may also depend on what type of sedative is being used. All our dogs were sedated with a SC injection first (I believe our vet used a high dose of Morphine) which on average took about 15 minutes to fully kick in before they were completely relaxed and sleepy. There was also far less stress for them when it came time for the insertion of the IV. I will personally never do it any other way. I've seen humans die horrible deaths, aware of their surrondings and awake and struggling and I would never want to see any of my dogs have to go this way, even if it only lasted a very short time.

GSDs
Jax vom Kiebitzende SchH1
Loc van het Basjes Huis The newest terror
Brodie - RIP Handsome...I miss you every day
Northern GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #33 (permalink)

Thanks for this Strongheart, I never had any idea. I was under the impression that they basically went to sleep not that they could possibly feel pain or suffer in any way. Its a real shock to know that you can actually feel a heart attack. I know now what I must do when faced with this situation.
K9Drover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BJDimockHOWEVER... pentobarb if given quickly can induce an excitment stage in animals before they go under. I worked for a vet who used this drug as his choice for knocking animals down for surgery. He was very skillful with it, but occasionally there was an animal that went down a little rougher. (Not so unlike people, who react differently to drugs.) Bimbo, this was probably the reaction you witnessed. It really can be horrible to see and I'm sorry you had to go through that. Jake was probably unaware of his vocalization. Its a shame that they passed it off as air trapped.
Euthansia sol reacts the same way if given too quickly.
Thank you for that explanation, it helps to know what was happening and to be honest, i wasnt 100% convinced with the vets explanation as it didnt seem like air passing out-if I remember correctly he seemed to be gasping for air too. It was an awful noise and obviously made a very tough time even more upsetting but it has put my mind at rest a bit knowing what it was & that he was probably unaware of it.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm glad I could help ease your mind. Sometimes under powerful anesthesia the body reacts differently than the mind. I, myself, came to from a surgery in the recovery room, to a horrible screaming. I just wanted the nurses to help the poor person and leave me alone. I was very lucid in my thoughts, very calm, but could not get myself to speak to them.
Because I was screaming.
It was a little odd to say the least.
I am sure that your friend was prancing across the bridge before you went through your ordeal.
I am so sorry for your loss, and again, wished your vet had been honest about the cause of vocalization.
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
BJDimock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Helly

I had to have our precious calico kitty put to sleep on Friday, this was my first experience, the vet did use a sedative and the entire experience was very peaceful...it really did appear that Sally just went to sleep. I hope I don't have to do this for a very long time with my Jackson but when the time comes I probably will use sedation.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via ICQ to JeffM

When Gizmo our Kitty was put down, he was sedated first. We just had Bear put down and I explained the process to the wife so she would know what to expect.

Turns out he wasn't sedated, just one needle and boom he was gone. It appeared to be very peaceful and quick for the little guy.

Given the choice of the 2, I would probably go for the 1 needle. We said our goodbye's to Bear pretty much the day before so we didn't want to dwell on it any longer than we had too while at the vet.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm bumping this up for those that may not have sceen it before as well as to add a little bit of info.

As some of you may recall, my dear sweet Ebony was euthanized earlier this month. It wasn't until Thanksgiving Day that I actually spoke with Anne and asked about Ebonys last moments. She didn't want to tell me the details earlier but when I asked she began to cry. As it turned out Ebony was not sedated before she was injected. I can't get into all the details but it sounded like an awful scene where Ebony fought with everything she had. I can't get into details as I will just loose it right now.

When I asked Anne 'didn't they sedate her first?' Anne didn't know what they were doing, she assumed they knew what they were doing and really fell apart when I asked about this. I was reminded of Millies death and some of what Donna and Chris went through.

Everyone, please discuss this with your Vets. If your Vets don't do this automatically then talk to them about it and have your pets charts noted accordingly. There is no reason for animals and their people to suffer so badly in the end.

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
shilohsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
Elite Member

At the veterinary hospital I work at we sedate for all animals being put to sleep. It is easier on all involved.

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
srfd44-2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #40 (permalink)
Knighted Member

One of the hardest things to do is to choose to be present when your dog/companion is euthanized.For your own closure of the relationship -no matter how hard it is for you it is the best thing. for you to be there. If your dog is very "freaked out" by vet visit ask for oral sedative you can give at home before bringing to vet.I have been present for all dogs that I had to make that HORRIBLE decision for.Sometimes wished I wasn't but regardless of any bodily reactions I saw ALL were NOT aware when they passed.
jake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.