Sedation - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Sedation

When I had Caramel (Cat) euthanized they took her back and put in a catheter. They brought her back to me and used that line for both the sedation and the euth drug.

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Barb E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Barb E, my Vet didn't put a Catheter in as we had the Vet come to our home.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

Bear had a catheter in a front leg, it was wrapped in a bandage.

The vet (when told I was ready), first gave him the shot of sedation. I could feel him go limp and that's when I laid his head on the pillow. Then again the vet (when told I was ready) gave him the other shot (I have no idea what that is called).

The sedation was good for Bear and me.
Nena - NSR foster
Bruno - NSR foster
Blitz - NSR foster
Glory - SCR foster
Leibe - SSR foster
Lessie - CPR foster
Reno - CPR foster
kasbn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JenM66Rosa, where I work it is standard procedure. It is easier (if anything about saying good bye to your friend can be considered easy) for the dog and the owner if the dog is relaxed. I think it's great to plan ahead. Many of our clients have their wishes noted in their charts. When the time comes, you are rarely thinking clearly.
Same here- when I was a VT we ALWAYS catheterized..... and sedated first- it's just a softer, more peaceful way. IMO
Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/214035
Roxie Shennannigan
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/263827
RILEY
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1061253
LadyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just one more point. If the dog's blood pressure is very low, then after the sedation the veins can start to collapse. It's then very hard to get the second needle into a vein. However, the dog is so sedated at that point that they are not aware of anything. Even with that potential problem, I would still choose to do the sedation first.
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
kshort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

I will never sedate before euthanasia again. I did with two of mine and both of them had a reaction. Their tongues flopped out and dried up and they looked to be gasping for the final breathes. Both of them. I will never go through that again. I had to watch as they looked up not understanding why their mouth felt so funny, and I don't even know how the rest of their body reacted to it. The same thing has happened to my moms dogs in the past.
Baby Girl Dec 07 Blind Tortie Shell Cat
Tiger Oct 08 Cat
Kiyoko Apr 09 DDB
At the Bridge:
Trooper Jan 93-0ct 03 my heart, my soul
Ruby Jan 98-Jan 11 GSD
Bear Aug 03-June 11 GSD
maggs30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #27 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

When people read this information, they definitely need to know both sides, but also need to talk to their vet and others they trust about what steps to take.

I just re-read this thread and wouldn't have thought to ask about a catheter but didn't have to. I did ask specifically for the sedation shot.

I saw a dog once after sedation (for a surgery) and its tongue was out and mouth open and I am not sure that is unusual, or that they even know it is happening. I would talk to a vet about it before I ruled out sedation. I don't know if it depends on the type of sedative used either, how long between the two shots, the condition of the dog prior to euthanasia, etc. Because it seems like when they are sedated, they are asleep.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #28 (permalink)

When we had Jake euthanised a couple of weeks ago, the vet didnt sedate first and he didnt pass peacefully. He started making this awful screaming/groaning noise which sounded like he was in major pain. It only lasted a few seconds, but felt like forever. The vet nurse is my best friend and said she's never seen a reaction like that in 5 years of practicing. The vet later said that his heart had already stopped at this point and it was just air escaping past his vocal cords but it sounded horrible and was so upsetting. I dont know if sedation would have stopped it but in the future, I am always going to request sedation first
Old 09-27-2008, 05:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

ALWAYS PRE-TRANQ!!

I have held for so many animals being euthanized (at shelters, vet offices, etc.) and if you don't notice them having any appearance of struggle if they haven't been sedated first it is only because you cannot observe it! That doesn't mean it isn't happening!!

Euthanasia is basically an induced heart attack from overdose of phenobarbital.

IT HURTS!!! Just because they may go 'plop' doesn't mean inside they're not in intense agony.

As an animal communicator, one of my own animals told me afterward that even though he was pre-tranq'ed (pre-tranquilized), he felt like he had been bludgeoned in the head over and over - this was a parrot and there is no good way to euthanize a parrot, they struggle A LOT.

Some vets don't pre-tranq strictly out of economic considerations, it costs a little more, more time spent in the room with the patient, etc. And keep in mind a lot of vets are unsympathetic to pain management at all and these are the ones who don't pre-tranq.

I've held my hands on the chest of an animal being euth:ed and you can FEEL THE HEART ATTACK.

The reason some dogs seem to 'handle' it well is because they totally trust you and don't think you're injecting them lethally and then surprise! They have a heart attack and drop dead.

Don't shatter their trust at the end when they need it the most.

Don't listen to anyone who says it's not necessary to pre-tranq!
Strongheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #30 (permalink)

This is something that I had never even thought of but I think I will do it if and when our times come.
K9Drover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.