Sedation - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Sedation

Jean, once again you rock! No wonder I couldn't find it again in the Millie thread-it wasn't part of it in the first place! Yes, this is what I was thinking. I've read over it and will do again soon. I want to make this decision now when things are good, that way the new vet can mark their charts now! I'm thinking I want them to have the seditive first but will carefully review the thread one more time. Thanks again to all!!!

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
shilohsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would have never felt so strongly about this before Max... I will never, ever euthanize another dog without sedation first. My vets didn't do it in the past with our other dogs and we had no problem. I don't want to go into details, but thank God Max's acupuncture vet sedated him first.

Like Jean said, why not - it certainly can't hurt. In my opinion, there is no reason not to.
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
kshort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am having my dogs charts all marked that I want sedation first. Since I know it is not my new Vets practice to do this automatically, they have agreed the files can be marked with my decision. After re-reading this and the link to the other thread I just can't see any reason not to do it. It may or may not be necessary but I'd rather make a decision on this now when I'm in the right state of mind.

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

i chose not to do sedation with Lando after talking with my vet when i had to send her to the bridge. she was pretty weak and her blood pressure was low. we decided that we did not want to have her stuck twice.

you can certainly mark the chart with your desires and if circumstances change then you can modify them as needed.

LandosMom

Quest (I Bailey's Quest von Grafenstein)
Bailey 3yo Great Labrahoula

At the bridge:

Lando - run free my sweet girl - you are always with me
Simon, Harper, Chestnut - always know you are loved
LandosMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

There would always be exceptions of course. My fear would be that the dog might be allergic to the sedation, but you can't very well know that ahead of time can you?

All the dogs that I had to help across the bridge were sedated. It made things much better for them and I would do so again without hesitation.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh my gosh, there is just sooooo much to think about. I'm still sticking with sedation and noting the file but do know things could change at the time.

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would say that probably all of my dogs have been sedated so I wouldn't be worried about a reaction to that shot.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thank you for bringing this topic up. I will most certainly have my vet sedate my dog first. I am still in shock over her prognosis, but I know I need to start making these final preparations because the day will quickly come and I will be a crying wreck and won't want to think about anything else at that time except for spending those last few moments with my fur baby.
Ilovealldogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog Ilovealldogs. I'm also glad we have a forum like this that we can discuss these issues and educate one another so that we are prepared when the time does come.

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Old 07-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes, thank you for bringing this topic up. When Grover was euthanized, she was... well... stoned. I knew she didn't feel very well, and I had Ace at home to help her sleep. So I gave her a full dose. She was still pacing, so I gave her another dose. But she was still pacing. We put her on the bed to cuddle with her, but after about an hour (or two? Time was blurry...), and she couldn't relax, that's when we brought her into the Emergency Clinic, who told us that her heart was catastrophically failing (the Ace had nothing to do with it).

I don't know if the vet at the clinic sedated her further. She was out of it. I'm sure she knew we were with her when they euthanized her because when I walked into the room, she wagged her tail. But wow, she looked like a few guys I knew in college on Friday nights. I wish I had some brownies for her. She went out feeling no pain. I think that perpetually having a few Ace around the house just in case is probably a good idea.

And brownies.

I'm going to the vet tomorrow for the puppy's vaccines. I'll be talking to the vet about sedation for all my dogs when the time comes decades from now.

Thank you for this thread. Thank you so very much.
3K9Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.